Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Off to England for 2 months

Off to England for 2 months

Old Sep 14th 2009, 3:02 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to England for 2 months

Enjoy it, go and see loads of castles, village fete's, have a cream tea or two join English Heritage (you can save the fee easily in 2 months of visiting places) and live the dream.

If after all this it feels a bit flat you will know the score. Do a few commuter runs in rush hour on trains and motorways and check the traffic reports too, some people just don't get issues depending on where they live and for others this a casue of daily frustration and stress.

I wouldn't worry about others opinions it is just as likely that you'll want to return to Aus for your own reasons as the whole 'UK is dump' propaganda. It is a good way of testing the water. Antother poin t is to temper the whole culture and history thing, it's noce walking past a castle or an ancient church but really, how often would you ever go in one once you already been?

I hope you wind up happy one way or another though you seem decent and to be trying to do things in a logical and sensible way (makes a change from some of the wild idea's you get on here)
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Off to England for 2 months

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Enjoy it, go and see loads of castles, village fete's, have a cream tea or two join English Heritage (you can save the fee easily in 2 months of visiting places) and live the dream.

If after all this it feels a bit flat you will know the score. Do a few commuter runs in rush hour on trains and motorways and check the traffic reports too, some people just don't get issues depending on where they live and for others this a casue of daily frustration and stress.

I wouldn't worry about others opinions it is just as likely that you'll want to return to Aus for your own reasons as the whole 'UK is dump' propaganda. It is a good way of testing the water. Antother poin t is to temper the whole culture and history thing, it's noce walking past a castle or an ancient church but really, how often would you ever go in one once you already been?

I hope you wind up happy one way or another though you seem decent and to be trying to do things in a logical and sensible way (makes a change from some of the wild idea's you get on here)
Thanks for the encouraging comments. Actually to be really honest I'm not going with the intention of seeing if I would want to go back permanently, because right now for the first time in a long time I can honestly say I probably don't want to move back permanently at this particular point in time.

That could change at any time, mind you so I'll keep an open mind.

I'm really just going for a good long holiday and I suppose also in the hope that spending a longer than normal holiday in Britain might just take the edge of my desire to be in Britain for a little while after that, well maybe.

Life's complicated unfortunately and things don't always work out the way we would ideally like.

Thankfully at the moment, I've somehow arrived at a point where I can (for now at least) say I'm more or less satisfied living where I currently do. Not that it's where I really feel I belong, but it does seem to be the best place for me at the moment, all things considered. I can't begin to tell you how much of a relief it is to feel that way for once!

I still hold hopes of returning permanently to Britain one day though. I just have no idea when.

Like I said, it's complicated!