Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Off to Blighty in the morning!

Wikiposts

Off to Blighty in the morning!

Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Off to Blighty in the morning!

He he, at departure gate waiting to board Virgin Atlantic VS18 to LHR meeting up with spouse and his twin to celebrate their 50th birthdays.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Off to Blighty in the morning!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He he, at departure gate waiting to board Virgin Atlantic VS18 to LHR meeting up with spouse and his twin to celebrate their 50th birthdays.
Hope you have a good flight!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Have a safe flight and enjoy your trip
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:20 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Just quickly checking in. On my way back from Scotland having had a very boozy weekend with fantastic warm weather. Back home next weekend so will let you all know how it went then.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Pissed up at London Bridge right now. Off for a curry shortly!
im vv jealous too!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Still in Blighty (deepest darkest Surrey at the minute) but thought I'd stop in to say how the weekend went. (Early night tonight as still tired but can't sleep yet until my fish and chips have gone down properly!)

We went by train to Fort William on Friday. A long journey but there were over a dozen of us including friends I hadn't seen for a few years so it was nice to catch up over a selection of bottles beers (my contribution was a 6-pack of canned 21st Amendment Black IPA which I'd carried over from the States for the novelty value!). After a few pints down the pub we got our heads down in a variety of local B&Bs ready for the next day. Bright and early on Saturday morning we set off by train to Mallaig (the end of the line) where we transferred to the tiniest little standing-room-only boat that a friend had chartered to take us 7 miles across the loch to the lonely little pub in Knodyart. After a very choppy journey (big waves and spray over the sides - got quite wet) we arived at the remote pub (which had kindly agreed in advance to open early for us) where there's no road access and the only alternative to sailing is a hike of maybe 20 miles.

The weather was glorious and we commandeered the picnic tables outside where there was an unhindered view across the loch to the mountain range in the background as we supped beer and ate lovely pub food until the boat came back to pick us up mid afternoon. The evening was spent back at Fort William at a lovely little pub at the end of a dark country lane at the foot of Ben Nevis.

The long journey back was taken on Sunday where the gorgeous scenery that had been hiden by darkness on Friday evening was now in full view. Highlights were passing through Monassie Gorge and seeing stags roaming across Rannoch Moor. We also saw those big ginger cows with the big horns (you know the ones).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:32 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

We also saw those big ginger cows with the big horns (you know the ones).
I thought Welshviking was still in Oz...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:47 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

"Highland Cows" you mean

Your pub trip sounds bloody FANTASTIC... but one question I have is if it can only be reached by boat or hiking 20 miles, how much business does it do?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

...for 10 days.

Mainly a work trip (in and around London) but also doing a cheeky 3-day weekend to Scotland to visit Britain's most remote pub! (We're actually chartering a boat to get to it!)

Happy days!
Knoydart is one of my favorite places in the whole world. walked in from the east with my tent a few times, 3 great munros.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 12th 2010 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:19 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Burn1911
"Highland Cows" you mean

Your pub trip sounds bloody FANTASTIC... but one question I have is if it can only be reached by boat or hiking 20 miles, how much business does it do?
Seemed faily brisk when we were there. There was at least one other boatload of people that arrievd and a fair few locals (who presumably haven't much else to do apart from drink). Apparently it's popular with hikers and boaty types although some of this is presumably seasonal. The pub does accommodation too so apparently they're sold out on New Year's Eve (and I can't think of a better place in the world right now to spend it!)
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I now feel very homesick for my home country Tonrob. Glad you've had a blast though and enjoyed the scenery. Have a safe journey back when the time comes.