Reload this Page >

obtaining work in the uk before arriving

Wikiposts

obtaining work in the uk before arriving

Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

JimmySax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default obtaining work in the uk before arriving

decided to move back to manchester after 2 years in NZ but would like to get work first in IT.what's the best way to do it? has anyone managed to do it? Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: obtaining work in the uk before arriving

Originally Posted by JimmySax
decided to move back to manchester after 2 years in NZ but would like to get work first in IT.what's the best way to do it? has anyone managed to do it? Thanks
Networking?

Every job/client I ever acquired was through people in the business that I already knew.

Are you still in touch with former colleagues, ex-bosses etc?

If not, can you track them down?

LinkedIn is an excellent networking site for professionals.

Good luck!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Networking?

Every job/client I ever acquired was through people in the business that I already knew.

Are you still in touch with former colleagues, ex-bosses etc?

If not, can you track them down?

LinkedIn is an excellent networking site for professionals.

Good luck!
good ideas,thanks. Before i came to Nz I was living down south but want to return up north so that won't work. i've started posting cvs online. hmm maybe i should let facebook friends know
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

it aint easy mate, esp at the moment...hundreds of peeps all after the same jobs...so do as much as poss, you can register online at reed.co.uk and upload your cv as well as apply for jobs in their site....also look on the job centre site for jobs as I have noticed a lot of agencies now use the job centre site to advertised

good luck

good ideas,thanks. Before i came to Nz I was living down south but want to return up north so that won't work. i've started posting cvs online. hmm maybe i should let facebook friends know
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

I have been looking into the same thing and its not easy. With so many back home out of work they are tending to deal with those first because it almost seems they think its a joke me sending in CV's while still in the US.
Also being asked for passport info as well and I don't like sending that to every tom, dick and harry. When I'm home I wouldn't have to do that.
Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherylbe
I have been looking into the same thing and its not easy. With so many back home out of work they are tending to deal with those first because it almost seems they think its a joke me sending in CV's while still in the US.
Also being asked for passport info as well and I don't like sending that to every tom, dick and harry. When I'm home I wouldn't have to do that.
Good luck
Try to concoct at least a partial UK "identity" by getting a Skype (or Vonage etc) UK phone number etc.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Try to concoct at least a partial UK "identity" by getting a Skype (or Vonage etc) UK phone number etc.
It's like migrating all over again! finding work, getting settled. i've posted cv online now, and sent a few cvs.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

you do have to provide ID and I was asked for my passport at an agency

Originally Posted by Cherylbe
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spain
you do have to provide ID and I was asked for my passport at an agency
\big brother is watching
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

\big brother is watching
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

quick update. Posted CV to several job sites. waiting for the offers to come flooding in
tempted to go without a job and see what happens, even in a downturn the job market in manchester is bigger than NZ when its booming! more people etc

Last edited by JimmySax; Oct 2nd 2009 at 12:48 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

quick update. Posted CV to several job sites. waiting for the offers to come flooding in
tempted to go without a job and see what happens, even in a downturn the job market in manchester is bigger than NZ when its booming! more people etc
There's no harm sending your CV - there are all sorts of agencies etc, as people have pointed out. You might want to also look at local newspapers online, or even the national ones. I got a job in the UK whilst still in the USA, and they had interviewed me on Skype.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

it aint easy mate, esp at the moment...hundreds of peeps all after the same jobs...so do as much as poss, you can register online at reed.co.uk and upload your cv as well as apply for jobs in their site....also look on the job centre site for jobs as I have noticed a lot of agencies now use the job centre site to advertised

good luck
I'm quoting this message as it's (unfortunately) spot on. To get a chance of an interview you have to be very quick (and lucky). Normally the agency advertising the role will stop considering people once they've collected their required number of applicants.
I believe if you look up TNT recruitment they're good at getting migrants from other countries jobs in the UK - so they may work for the OP.
Reeds, not bad, but don't rule out registering on Jobsite, Jobserve and Monster.co.uk
Also try looking on gumtree and craigslist - you may find an opening there.

Good luck!