Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a UK credit card

Obtaining a UK credit card

Old Nov 29th 2020, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a UK credit card

Does anyone know how to go about getting a UK credit card on return to UK ? I had read that opening an HSBC bank in the USA is a good way to getting a UK HSBC bank account . Will the bank take my excellent credit number in USA to grant me a card in the UK ? Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a UK credit card

I’m not sure of the best route to getting a credit card. Our son opened an HSBC bank account from the USA but when he moved here he still had to wait 6 months to build a credit score. He wasn’t too bothered because he had a bank account and debit card and managed quite well with that. He has a credit card now.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again.. I'm looking into HSBC account .. I live in San Diego and closest branch I can find to be able to go in and speak to someone is in Irvine , quite a drive , but still doable . Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2020, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened a US HSBC account in June and then, in August, drove a long way (here in Florida) to open their UK account and sign the documents. We were told it would take 2-3 weeks to receive the banking information and debit cards etc. Well, it's been over 3 months! After about 6 weeks, we phoned our contact (the international Premiere account rep. who'd done the initial phone consultation) and were told there was a back log. She followed up with an email acknowledging the same. Since then, we've heard nothing - emails go unanswered and a week ago I was on hold for 2 hours before hanging up. I would recommend that, if you need this account quickly, you get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Also, when you have your phone consultation before your actual appointment at the branch be sure to press them on how long it's actually taking these days considering the back log.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brightongirl
I opened a US HSBC account in June and then, in August, drove a long way (here in Florida) to open their UK account and sign the documents. We were told it would take 2-3 weeks to receive the banking information and debit cards etc. Well, it's been over 3 months! After about 6 weeks, we phoned our contact (the international Premiere account rep. who'd done the initial phone consultation) and were told there was a back log. She followed up with an email acknowledging the same. Since then, we've heard nothing - emails go unanswered and a week ago I was on hold for 2 hours before hanging up. I would recommend that, if you need this account quickly, you get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Also, when you have your phone consultation before your actual appointment at the branch be sure to press them on how long it's actually taking these days considering the back log.
Oh no! Did you open the US account in person? I'm assuming that the documents you are waiting for are for the UK account ? Did you get everything completed here for the US account? I plan on getting the US account and then setting up UK account when I finally get there , hopefully in Jan .. Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2020, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened the US account online and it was ready to go in about 48 hours - you don't even need to go into a branch. That was very simple. The UK account is the one we're still waiting on; we don't have an account number or anything at all so far. I would hope that if you are actually in the UK the process would be smoother, I'm not sure how that might work? I hope it works out okay for you - good luck. I'll post here when we receive it.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:11 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Actually came on site for the same question!

Having almost identical issue. Been HSBC worldwide Premier for 17 years, but HSBC UK won’t let us open credit cards. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

American Express Global allow you to open a U( Credit Card Account based on your US record if you have a US Amex Account.

I utilised this service when I repatriated to the UK after 25 years in the US. After two years I now have a robust and fully established UK credit history having charged almost all purchases to the Amex Card and cleared the balance even month.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 9:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beraider
American Express Global allow you to open a U( Credit Card Account based on your US record if you have a US Amex Account.

I utilised this service when I repatriated to the UK after 25 years in the US. After two years I now have a robust and fully established UK credit history having charged almost all purchases to the Amex Card and cleared the balance even month.
Amex used to be one of the least accepted cards by merchants in the UK, due to the higher 'per transaction' fee charged. Not sure if this has changed?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Amex used to be one of the least accepted cards by merchants in the UK, due to the higher 'per transaction' fee charged. Not sure if this has changed?
It probably still is but when you can't a credit card it is a great option. When I worked in the UK, and also in the USA, our corporate credit card was Amex and it mostly worked just fine even when on business in the UK and Europe.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
It probably still is but when you can't a credit card it is a great option. When I worked in the UK, and also in the USA, our corporate credit card was Amex and it mostly worked just fine even when on business in the UK and Europe.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you , I will check it out ..
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Are you resident in the UK ?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Are you resident in the UK ?
If you are asking me, then yes I am resident in the UK, as is my son.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 9:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It’s much more widely accepted now. You can use it in all supermarkets, most restaurants and a lot of smaller businesses.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/shop-small/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.