Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Obtaining Social Work job in UK before leaving US

Obtaining Social Work job in UK before leaving US

Old Jul 1st 2019, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Obtaining Social Work job in UK before leaving US

Hi guys !

So I finally got on the registry to work as a social worker in U.K. I’m British so I don’t need a visa etc. How can I secure a job before relocating to U.K from US? It is so difficult to secure everything from the US before I leave.
I tried to get housing but was told I needed a job contract before they would rent to me.

So the question is, how difficult is it to secure a job in my field before leaving the US? I have a Master of Science in Social Work with a specialization in Mental Health

Thanks in advance,
Brigette
Old Jul 6th 2019, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

pendledreams5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining Social Work job in UK before leaving US

Hi Brigette, sorry i don't have any helpful advice for you, but I want to follow this thread as i'm in a slightly similar position except I have my Masters in School Counseling. I have been applying for counselling jobs in schools while here in the US, with no luck so far, but I also just got my spouse visa approved.
Good luck in your search!
Old Jul 6th 2019, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Any employer will want to SEE you before commiting.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Any employer will want to SEE you before commiting.
I wonder if Skype would be an option. Our son didn't apply for jobs until he moved over and did find one very quickly but did have to have a face to face interview. He was offered a job even though he didn't yet have a NI number. (He did have his British passport and at that stage had an interview date with DWP to get his NI number).
Old Jul 13th 2019, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

If Skype is an option then that would be great. Unfortunately I don’t have family to stay with ( different lifestyles etc.)
Old Jul 13th 2019, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pendledreams5
Hi Brigette, sorry i don't have any helpful advice for you, but I want to follow this thread as i'm in a slightly similar position except I have my Masters in School Counseling. I have been applying for counselling jobs in schools while here in the US, with no luck so far, but I also just got my spouse visa approved.
Good luck in your search!
Hi there! I’m not familiar in school counseling but do research to see if there is a board that you need to be registered/licensed with prior to working in your field. For social work the first thing is to be registered with the HCPC ( the registration process took longer than I expected).

HCPC will soon change to Social Work England but those already registered will be grandfathered in.
What has helped me in keeping up to date is following various organizations in social work on social media and subscribing to newsletters etc. ( example British Association of Social Workers BASW). BASW in particular has been helpful in keeping me updated on laws that affect social work, trends in social work ( which is different in the US) etc

Unfortunately for me, I don’t have the luxury of moving and staying with someone and waiting however long to find a job. Need to have that taken care or even the prospect of one before I make the big move.

Old Jul 15th 2019, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

20 years of devolution means that Scotland has its own body -

https://www.sssc.uk.com/

Very often Social Workers trained in England or with English experience, assume that things are just the same in Scotland as in England. Not so.