Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Observations after a month back in UK

Observations after a month back in UK

Old May 24th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Observations after a month back in UK

Thought I’d jot down my general observations after a month in the UK. I’ve lived in Brisbane for almost 7 years and this was my third visit back. I went out there with quite an anti Aus stance and a view to hopefully moving back to UK. Now I’m back I’ve realised it’s all swings and roundabouts and I’m back at square one! Anyway my obs for those who are interested (just my opinion before I get shouted down!):

Driving – I noticed the UK drivers to be safer (even at high speeds), more courteous and most seem to abide by the road rules. Anyone who drives in Qld will know that is far from the case here! I even found rush hour traffic (in Kent) to at least be free flowing, whereas in Bris CBD it’s just bumper to bumper gridlock.

Food – eating out in UK I don’t believe is on a par yet with Aus and is more expensive, but definitely improving each time I go back. The Brit pub roasts are phenomenal though!

Alcohol/smoking – I love to have a few drinkies with the best of them (I’ve been working in Aus wine industry LOL) but coming back to UK makes you realise how much drinking to excess in ingrained in the culture. Too much so if you ask me. Ditto smoking. Or maybe I’ve just got boring?!

People – it takes to be away to realise how much you love the Brits!! Yes, they do moan but they have a wicked sense of humour and I just loved the banter and quick wit. Friendships are deeper and you just pick up where you left off. You just “get” each other. More worldly, more open minded and, sorry but in my experience, more intelligent conversation. Downside – loads of chavs. I found everyone to be very friendly, if you give it out you get it back.

Men – more openly lecherous and leery in Australia. But this does keep you in free drinks on a night out so it has its plus points Able to have friendships with men without them wanting to get into your pants (or maybe I’m being naïve!).

Women – seemed to wear the trousers more in relationships in Britain. Dare I say it, less subservient and more equal.

Weather – it was certainly nice to have rain during my stay but I do enjoy the pleasant climate in Brisbane all year round – a big plus in being active, healthy and outdoorsy. Mind you, the beautiful lush countryside in UK is a major plus of that rainy weather!

Clothes – better quality, much more variety and definitely cheaper in UK – stock up while you are over there! Kids clothes are superb.

Customer service – this is where the US influence in Aus has been a good one. Long queues and poorer customer service attitudes in Blighty I’m afraid.

Supermarkets – Give me Tescos anyday. Woolies/Coles are half stocked with poor quality of fruit and veg and much less choice – and on par cost wise with UK I’m afraid. Sure, if you want to go to butchers, grocers, fish shop and deli you can get great quality, but who’s got time?!

Consumerism – rampant in UK – people queueing up overnight to buy a new, must-have face cream from Boots?! We’re definitely behind in Aus re shopping, variety, fashion etc but is this a good or bad thing? Personal pref I guess.

Schools – primary and secondary seemed great in my mum’s area (Bearsted, nr Maidstone, Kent). Grammar schools great. If your kid doesn’t get into a grammar school – seriously not so great. Less pressure on kids in Australia due to lack of league tables. More focus on overall development, not just academic.

Violence – saw two bloody fights on my first night out in Maidstone, not sure if this is indicative, but these were in nice, classy wine bars LOL!! You sense a constant undercurrent, threat of violence – but is this just the barrage of negativity from the media perpetuating an overblown myth? Stats I’ve seen show Aus to be on a par so maybe it is. Brit friends of mine said they would not say anything to teenagers, for instance, if they dropped litter, as they feared getting knifed in return. Charming.

I could go on but this is long enough now ….
Essentially I’ve decided, after my recent visit, to stay in Australia at leaste a few more years until my children (10 and 8) are older. I just have a gut feel - real or perceived - that they are safer, more protected and enjoy a happier, healthier life here with less pressure. When they’re older they can fly the coop and experience a more gritty, exciting and varied reality. Let’s just hope I can hold out that long!
Old May 24th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Observations after a month back in UK

Your from my neck of the woods, must say when I was back in Maidstone a few months ago, I didnt see so many chavs!! but Chatham was a real dump, ...and I think Mitchell Highway is a busy as any motorway in UK!!!

Must say agree with the eating out bit, cant fault food in restaraunts here in OZ, but back home nobody seems to complain if theres crappy food served!!!

We are seriously thinking of settling back that way, still love West Malling and around that area!!
Old May 24th 2007, 3:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Your from my neck of the woods, must say when I was back in Maidstone a few months ago, I didnt see so many chavs!! but Chatham was a real dump, ...and I think Mitchell Highway is a busy as any motorway in UK!!!

Must say agree with the eating out bit, cant fault food in restaraunts here in OZ, but back home nobody seems to complain if theres crappy food served!!!

We are seriously thinking of settling back that way, still love West Malling and around that area!!
West Malling is beautiful, I have spent a lot of time there. My best friend was married and buried there and as such have mixed memories of the place.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Thought I’d jot down my general observations after a month in the UK. I’ve lived in Brisbane for almost 7 years and this was my third visit back. I went out there with quite an anti Aus stance and a view to hopefully moving back to UK. Now I’m back I’ve realised it’s all swings and roundabouts and I’m back at square one! Anyway my obs for those who are interested (just my opinion before I get shouted down!):

Driving – I noticed the UK drivers to be safer (even at high speeds), more courteous and most seem to abide by the road rules. Anyone who drives in Qld will know that is far from the case here! I even found rush hour traffic (in Kent) to at least be free flowing, whereas in Bris CBD it’s just bumper to bumper gridlock.

Food – eating out in UK I don’t believe is on a par yet with Aus and is more expensive, but definitely improving each time I go back. The Brit pub roasts are phenomenal though!

Alcohol/smoking – I love to have a few drinkies with the best of them (I’ve been working in Aus wine industry LOL) but coming back to UK makes you realise how much drinking to excess in ingrained in the culture. Too much so if you ask me. Ditto smoking. Or maybe I’ve just got boring?!

People – it takes to be away to realise how much you love the Brits!! Yes, they do moan but they have a wicked sense of humour and I just loved the banter and quick wit. Friendships are deeper and you just pick up where you left off. You just “get” each other. More worldly, more open minded and, sorry but in my experience, more intelligent conversation. Downside – loads of chavs. I found everyone to be very friendly, if you give it out you get it back.

Men – more openly lecherous and leery in Australia. But this does keep you in free drinks on a night out so it has its plus points Able to have friendships with men without them wanting to get into your pants (or maybe I’m being naïve!).

Women – seemed to wear the trousers more in relationships in Britain. Dare I say it, less subservient and more equal.

Weather – it was certainly nice to have rain during my stay but I do enjoy the pleasant climate in Brisbane all year round – a big plus in being active, healthy and outdoorsy. Mind you, the beautiful lush countryside in UK is a major plus of that rainy weather!

Clothes – better quality, much more variety and definitely cheaper in UK – stock up while you are over there! Kids clothes are superb.

Customer service – this is where the US influence in Aus has been a good one. Long queues and poorer customer service attitudes in Blighty I’m afraid.

Supermarkets – Give me Tescos anyday. Woolies/Coles are half stocked with poor quality of fruit and veg and much less choice – and on par cost wise with UK I’m afraid. Sure, if you want to go to butchers, grocers, fish shop and deli you can get great quality, but who’s got time?!

Consumerism – rampant in UK – people queueing up overnight to buy a new, must-have face cream from Boots?! We’re definitely behind in Aus re shopping, variety, fashion etc but is this a good or bad thing? Personal pref I guess.

Schools – primary and secondary seemed great in my mum’s area (Bearsted, nr Maidstone, Kent). Grammar schools great. If your kid doesn’t get into a grammar school – seriously not so great. Less pressure on kids in Australia due to lack of league tables. More focus on overall development, not just academic.

Violence – saw two bloody fights on my first night out in Maidstone, not sure if this is indicative, but these were in nice, classy wine bars LOL!! You sense a constant undercurrent, threat of violence – but is this just the barrage of negativity from the media perpetuating an overblown myth? Stats I’ve seen show Aus to be on a par so maybe it is. Brit friends of mine said they would not say anything to teenagers, for instance, if they dropped litter, as they feared getting knifed in return. Charming.

Essentially I’ve decided, after my recent visit, to stay in Australia at leaste a few more years until my children (10 and 8) are older. I just have a gut feel - real or perceived - that they are safer, more protected and enjoy a happier, healthier life here with less pressure. When they’re older they can fly the coop and experience a more gritty, exciting and varied reality. Let’s just hope I can hold out that long!
Good post.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post and must say the bit about Oz men and ones pants rings true with me. I have no single male friends here and had loads in UK, miss them lots. Most woman I know here havent had a proper male friend ever, how sad is that!
And women being more subservient here - sometimes I am really suprised if for example a man is seen as being BRILLIANT becasue he'll look after the kids or something.

Lovely post and thanks for writing it...

Old May 24th 2007, 9:00 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I’d jot down my general observations after a month in the UK.
Excellent post, we need a few more of these 'tell us how it is' posts in this forum.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Great post......... i use to live in Maidstone, Bearsted then Loose before i came to Adelaide. Been here 2 years now, had a good day today so feeling ok other days i sometimes feel as if i am on a pendulum but hey something must have been missing from my life to want to experience something else a?
Old May 24th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Excellent post and must say the bit about Oz men and ones pants rings true with me. I have no single male friends here and had loads in UK, miss them lots. Most woman I know here havent had a proper male friend ever, how sad is that!
And women being more subservient here - sometimes I am really suprised if for example a man is seen as being BRILLIANT becasue he'll look after the kids or something.

Lovely post and thanks for writing it...

Thanks Birdy - you are so right about the men looking after kids bit. My ex Aussie husband was just like that, expected a round of applause after doing anything vaguely domestic LOL!!!
Old May 24th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the positive feedback all - I was expecting a slating!

Kath - West Malling is totally gorgeous, I'd love to live there or Kemsing. Went there to a very smart Chinese restaurant (might have been called Feng Shui?) one night, definitely recommend it. Housing is very expensive tho - hope you made lots on your Aussie property!

Desire - so are you Maidstone born and bred? Did you got to school there? We might know one another?! Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time, it's not always easy is it.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Birdy - you are so right about the men looking after kids bit. My ex Aussie husband was just like that, expected a round of applause after doing anything vaguely domestic LOL!!!

Funny went and stayed with some UK friends over weekend. My friends man was so hands on with everything, it was so normal and made me realize I have started to get used to the way it can be here, I dont like it AT ALL, know its bonkers but see its here.
One of my reasons on my list of positives for heading back - normal men

You should not get a slating for your post - its v well balanced
Old May 24th 2007, 12:09 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend is male... he's lived in OZ 20 years...and is a Brit...his new girlfriend has tried everything to stop our friendship...so maybe OZ women are unsure of theirselves...I mean....I'm older than him...I live on the East coast in the US...and I've been married 27 years with 2 grown up kids and I'm a grandmother....what the hell she has to worry about I don't know....
Old May 24th 2007, 12:18 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Great rounded, informed post.
Used to keep my boat at Allington Marina, lovely to meander along the Medway, fancy having a look around this area when we get back, Maidstone can't be any worse then Bexleyheath!!

Kevin
Old May 24th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by krizzy
My best friend is male... he's lived in OZ 20 years...and is a Brit...his new girlfriend has tried everything to stop our friendship...so maybe OZ women are unsure of theirselves...I mean....I'm older than him...I live on the East coast in the US...and I've been married 27 years with 2 grown up kids and I'm a grandmother....what the hell she has to worry about I don't know....
Just brilliant, what a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Oz men dont do 'friendships' with the opposite sex though, its probably so alien a concept for his partner if shes used to Oz men that she cannot comprehend a man 'just' being a friend. Just a thought
Old May 24th 2007, 1:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Just brilliant, what a post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Oz men dont do 'friendships' with the opposite sex though, its probably so alien a concept for his partner if shes used to Oz men that she cannot comprehend a man 'just' being a friend. Just a thought

Its kinda funny in a way...she is forever asking him how he can find something to chat to me about for 2 hours on the phone...when all he wants to do around her is watch TV...well honey... because of you we only talk once a month or so nowadays...so we have a lot of catching up to do...duh...

She is forever throwing about pots and pans in the kitchen when we are on the phone...so its not like he phones me on the quiet...we have helped each other through some really bad times....we are like family....I love him to bits...but I don't fancy him...not that he is bad looking or anything...he would just drive me insane if I lived with him....we are just so different...he gambles drinks smokes...he has no idea what you do with a hammer and nail...we would kill each other within a week......
Old May 24th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. Maidstone is not to far from where i originally came from. The first time i went to maidstone drinking i was in a pub and had to ask a girl several times if she could 'excuse me' so that i could get into the toilets. She didnt move. Then asked me what the ***** i was looking at! :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.