Jacqueline Bergstedt

Default O/T Problem registering for UK Elections

Hi Guys

I want to register as an Oversea's Voter, and have had the appropriate form
sent to me from England. However, the form asks for another UK passport
holder whom also lives abroad to verify to the best of their knowledge that
I am a British Citizen living abroad. The form even asks for their passport
number too and address.
My problem is that I don't know any UK Citizens living abroad.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Jacque

Old May 10th 2004, 8:37 pm
Exile

Default Re: O/T Problem registering for UK Elections

"Jacqueline Bergstedt" wrote
    > I want to register as an Oversea's Voter, and have had the appropriate
form
    > sent to me from England.

Hi Jacque,

Just out of interest, why do you think that - as someone who has left the
country - you should be making political decisions for those of us still
here, even if you can?

Andy

Old May 10th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Exile

Just out of interest, why do you think that - as someone who has left the
country - you should be making political decisions for those of us still
here, even if you can?

Andy
If she is a UK citizen then she is entitled to a say in UK politics. If she is going to be getting tax returns from England then surely she retains the right to have some kind of say in how those taxes are applied, resident or not.

The fact that you choose to leave the country of your birth does not mean that you cease to have any interest in that country. What about friends, family? Are they all to be forgotten or ignored too? How about the music, the football teams, the historical and cultural aspects? Are they to be discarded as soon as you get off the plane?

To the OP - It seems strange that they need verification of you living abroad since that is where they sent the form. I'd have thought that all they would need is YOUR passport number as a way to identify you and verify your right to political representation.

Cheers,

Mr Pink
(I live in the US, but I'm still English!)
Old May 10th 2004, 9:15 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mrpink
If she is a UK citizen then she is entitled to a say in UK politics. If she is going to be getting tax returns from England then surely she retains the right to have some kind of say in how those taxes are applied, resident or not.

The fact that you choose to leave the country of your birth does not mean that you cease to have any interest in that country. What about friends, family? Are they all to be forgotten or ignored too? How about the music, the football teams, the historical and cultural aspects? Are they to be discarded as soon as you get off the plane?

To the OP - It seems strange that they need verification of you living abroad since that is where they sent the form. I'd have thought that all they would need is YOUR passport number as a way to identify you and verify your right to political representation.

Cheers,

Mr Pink

RIGHT ON!!!!
REAL MADRID RULES!!!!
Old May 10th 2004, 9:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually not true for Canadians. If you take up residency in another country and are gone for five years and do not have a date of return scheduled, you are not eligible to vote in a Canadian election. My husand was not allowed to vote in the recent PM elections and he still owns property and pays taxes in Canada. I'm sure there are countries with similar policies.

See:

http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?...textonly=false

Section 2

2. Canadian citizens temporarily residing outside the country

Canadians who have reached the age of 18 by polling day and are temporarily residing outside the country may vote by special ballot in an election or referendum. They must have at one time resided in Canada, have been residing outside Canada for less than five consecutive years since their last visit to Canada before making the application, and intend to live in Canada.

The five-year limit does not apply to:

electors who are employees of the federal public service or a provincial public service posted outside the country, or people living with them

electors who are working outside the country for an international organization of which Canada is a member and to which it contributes, or people living with those electors

people living with members of the Canadian Forces outside Canada or with civilians who are teachers or members of the administrative support staff at Canadian Forces schools outside the country

Rete

Originally posted by mrpink

Cheers,

Mr Pink
Old May 10th 2004, 10:22 pm
Jacqueline Bergstedt

Thank you Mr Pink. Yes, as a UK citizen I am still have interests back in
the UK. And eventually my husband and I would like to move, or retire back
to the UK and would like to have a say in who is running the country. I am
not, however, allowed to vote in local elections, which does make sense.

The only explananation I can think of for needing such details from the
other UK citizen is to prevent voting fraud. The form I have can be used
for either postal voting, or proxy voting. Proxy is what they recommend,
due to delays in postal voting. And we all know that there are a lot of
people that don't bother to vote. Imagine getting hold of their votes! So
more details on the form makes it harder to forge. Just an idea.

But anyway.....anybody got any good ideas how to get my vote?? Thanks.
Jacque

"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Actually not true for Canadians. If you take up residency in another
    > country and are for five years and do not have a date of return
    > scheduled, you are not eligible to vote in a Canadian election. My
    > husand was not allowed to vote in the recent PM elections and he still
    > owns property and pays taxes in Canada. I'm sure there are countries
    > with similar policies.
    > Rete
    > Originally posted by mrpink
    > > If she is a UK citizen then she is entitled to a say in UK politics.
    > If she is going to be getting tax returns from England then surely she
    > retains the right to have some kind of say in how those taxes are
    > applied, resident or not.
    > >
    > > The fact that you choose to leave the
    > country of your birth does not mean that you cease to have any interest
    > in that country. What about friends, family? Are they all to be
    > forgotten or ignored too? How about the music, the football teams, the
    > historical and cultural aspects? Are they to be discarded as soon as
    > you get off the plane?
    > >
    > > To the OP - It seems strange that they need
    > verification of you living abroad since that is where they sent the
    > form. I'd have thought that all they would need is YOUR passport number
    > as a way to identify you and verify your right to political
    > representation.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Mr Pink
    > (I live in the US, but I'm
    > still English!)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 10th 2004, 10:53 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqueline Bergstedt

But anyway.....anybody got any good ideas how to get my vote?? Thanks.
Jacque
Easy - I'll verify yours if you verify mine!

Seriously though, my first thought would be to contact the people asking for the information and explain your particular circumstances. I think there's a good chance I'll be in the same boat soon too, actually!

Cheers,

Mr Pink
~and SecretGarden
~~(Gawd I miss wine gums)