NZ-UK

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ-UK

Good luck ble we have been back nearly 3 weeks now and so far everything seems to be going to plan.

Hubby has been busy getting quotes for shipping so will let you know what he manages to find out - we are only shipping a few boxes, some fishing stuff and golf clubs. I think it's around the $1,000 mark but not sure who he has contacted so far.

Hope the house sells quickly - ours was about a month.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Choccie, great to hear your update. Very glad its going well. The next few months will fly by for all of us.

Please do let us know who you ship with as that is much more where we'd like to be!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:25 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Good luck to you all for the future.

This is a strange request but does anybody want to swap some NZ plugs for UK plugs? I have a pile of UK ones so if you want to cut off your NZ plugs to take items back to the UK, let me know :-)
If I have any I will drop them in on my travels before I go home. Should be going through Wellington in a couple of months.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:40 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Choccie
Good luck ble we have been back nearly 3 weeks now and so far everything seems to be going to plan.

Hubby has been busy getting quotes for shipping so will let you know what he manages to find out - we are only shipping a few boxes, some fishing stuff and golf clubs. I think it's around the $1,000 mark but not sure who he has contacted so far.

Hope the house sells quickly - ours was about a month.
Hi Choccie

Well done in making it back in one piece.
Would be interested in who you use. Where are (were) you in NZ out of interest. We are Canterbury.

Just done the day in the garden. Bless the bigger kids - they mucked in and helped cart rubbish, weed etc. 2 yr old was a lot of help with swiping everyone's tools, and the 1 yr old got put to bed for a long long nap - I am sure she needed it - her broken arm needs to heal so she needs to sleep. (And I can't afford, dirt, sand, water down the cast and yet another trip to Chch to the hospital. (Done 8 this year so far between the two youngest)

Will never get the house on the market at this rate.

Estate Agents coming on Monday
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:43 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Good luck to you all for the future.

This is a strange request but does anybody want to swap some NZ plugs for UK plugs? I have a pile of UK ones so if you want to cut off your NZ plugs to take items back to the UK, let me know :-)
I will check up on what my hubby has in his Very Important Big Box of Must Not Throw Out Cords and Plugs, which might come in use one day ...
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about hubbys and boxes of cords and electrical bits!

ble we were in Oxford about an hour from Christchurch. I wouldn't stress too much about making the house perfect - I was manic before the photographer came and then or buyers viewed it when we had left it in a state and had to get eldest daughter to dash round and tidy up. I'm sure they must have thought they were in the wrong house. If they like it they will like it was my motto in the end.

Having the survey done on the house we are buying tomorrow then it's just a case of waiting I guess. Really want to be in before hubby arrives.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:59 am
ble
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Choccie
What is it about hubbys and boxes of cords and electrical bits!

ble we were in Oxford about an hour from Christchurch. I wouldn't stress too much about making the house perfect - I was manic before the photographer came and then or buyers viewed it when we had left it in a state and had to get eldest daughter to dash round and tidy up. I'm sure they must have thought they were in the wrong house. If they like it they will like it was my motto in the end.

Having the survey done on the house we are buying tomorrow then it's just a case of waiting I guess. Really want to be in before hubby arrives.
That is good to hear, reassuring on the cleaning front.
We are just out of Darfield.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:20 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Right guys. I have my first quote in. Not sure wether or not to smile. I got Conroys out to do a quote. May I say the young lady was very professional and really friendly. She answered all of my questions and did give me tips on saving space and money. She has just emailed me with a quote of $2989. This includes all taxes etc. Door to door service. Dismanteling furniture is at no extra cost and they will assemble my furniture in the UK too.

I was very impressed. She has not mentioned how much space I need and so im not sure if this quote is any good to anyone but me.

I also had NZ Movers out this morning. The guy was rather quiet but that may be because he did not turn up for our appointment yesterday

I am awaiting his quote today. Hopefully there will be an indication as to how much space i need.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:49 pm
ble
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Right guys. I have my first quote in. Not sure wether or not to smile. I got Conroys out to do a quote. May I say the young lady was very professional and really friendly. She answered all of my questions and did give me tips on saving space and money. She has just emailed me with a quote of $2989. This includes all taxes etc. Door to door service. Dismanteling furniture is at no extra cost and they will assemble my furniture in the UK too.

I was very impressed. She has not mentioned how much space I need and so im not sure if this quote is any good to anyone but me.

I also had NZ Movers out this morning. The guy was rather quiet but that may be because he did not turn up for our appointment yesterday

I am awaiting his quote today. Hopefully there will be an indication as to how much space i need.
Thanks for that.
I will definately call them and see what they say for our container load in a few weeks.

House officially on the market, went live last night apparently. So here's hoping for a quick resolution (and no need for numerous open homes)
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Please excuse super long post, but I have rather a lot on my mind about this issue.

I moved to New Zealand with my father and sister as a child in the early 90's as a result of my father taking redundancy and a long and expensive divorce/custody trial. I think my dad (for obvious reasons) was unhappy in the UK and wanted to get away from some bad memories and also saw the opportunity for a better life for all of us in NZ.

But for a 7-year-old who had already gone through a highly stressful time, the shock of moving to a totally different environment was a hard one to get over. I like New Zealand, and it has done much for me, I don't know if I would have revealed my full potential in the UK school system for example.

Many times when an expat who has never truly settled announces to expats who are very well settled that they want to/are go(ing) home, they react as if they're mad. But I am in the former category, I never got used to the inverted seasons or the heat and length of a summer day.

The reason stems from the fact that to take our young minds off all the nastiness we had endured, my father took my sister and I on many holidays around England. The more I saw of my homeland, the more I fell in love with it. Which made the shock of moving to New Zealand all the more acute.The complete "otherness" of New Zealand has never fully healed. I liken it to Henry VIII and his leg wound. Sometimes it will seem to have healed and all is well, but then it opens anew, and the pain is almost unbearable.

New Zealand is undeniably a wonderful country, and it has much in its favour, but it also has much against it. I also know that Britain has a lot of problems but it also has many things in its favour. I am under no illusion of Britain being a wonderful magical mix of Dickens, Harry Potter, Robbin Hood and the knights of the round table. No, the rose-tinted glasses are firmly off.

But Britain, and England in particular is my home, and I will not hide while it is run down I want to do what I can for my homeland and my people.That is why I am returning - to live in that land which commands the centre of my being, and to to what I can to make it a better place.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:47 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Please excuse super long post, but I have rather a lot on my mind about this issue.

I moved to New Zealand with my father and sister as a child in the early 90's as a result of my father taking redundancy and a long and expensive divorce/custody trial. I think my dad (for obvious reasons) was unhappy in the UK and wanted to get away from some bad memories and also saw the opportunity for a better life for all of us in NZ.

But for a 7-year-old who had already gone through a highly stressful time, the shock of moving to a totally different environment was a hard one to get over. I like New Zealand, and it has done much for me, I don't know if I would have revealed my full potential in the UK school system for example.

Many times when an expat who has never truly settled announces to expats who are very well settled that they want to/are go(ing) home, they react as if they're mad. But I am in the former category, I never got used to the inverted seasons or the heat and length of a summer day.

The reason stems from the fact that to take our young minds off all the nastiness we had endured, my father took my sister and I on many holidays around England. The more I saw of my homeland, the more I fell in love with it. Which made the shock of moving to New Zealand all the more acute.The complete "otherness" of New Zealand has never fully healed. I liken it to Henry VIII and his leg wound. Sometimes it will seem to have healed and all is well, but then it opens anew, and the pain is almost unbearable.

New Zealand is undeniably a wonderful country, and it has much in its favour, but it also has much against it. I also know that Britain has a lot of problems but it also has many things in its favour. I am under no illusion of Britain being a wonderful magical mix of Dickens, Harry Potter, Robbin Hood and the knights of the round table. No, the rose-tinted glasses are firmly off.

But Britain, and England in particular is my home, and I will not hide while it is run down I want to do what I can for my homeland and my people.That is why I am returning - to live in that land which commands the centre of my being, and to to what I can to make it a better place.
what a lovely post. I'm so pleased you have realised where your true home is. Some people search a long time and never find the answer. It seems by your post that you always knew where home was anyway. New Zealand's loss is definatly England's gain.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

what a lovely post. I'm so pleased you have realised where your true home is. Some people search a long time and never find the answer. It seems by your post that you always knew where home was anyway. New Zealand's loss is definatly England's gain.
Thank you, I hate to use the old cliché of "Home is where the heart is." but in this case it is true.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Right guys. I have my first quote in. Not sure wether or not to smile. I got Conroys out to do a quote. MShe has just emailed me with a quote of $2989. This includes all taxes etc. Door to door service.

I was very impressed. She has not mentioned how much space I need.

Sounds promising, let me know what NZ movers quote! We reckon we will have 60-70 cubic feet to ship back, i.e.
1 x flatscreen tv
2 x computer towers
1 x monitor
1-2 printers
3 medium boxes of books
3 medium boxes of DVDs
3 boxes of personal crap

Pippa - can you find out roughly the cubic feet options of what you have? Additionally, we are considering other options, like can we just get some boxes sent slowly overseas as opposed to using a full on removal service.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

We paid NZD 1350 for 2cubm to Germany via the UK - door to door service. Insurance is extra. Company said it would take around 3months for shipping.

Last edited by Assanah; Feb 2nd 2014 at 11:55 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:18 pm
Looking for my marbles.

NZ Movers came in at $2,890. I was not very impressed with the guy who came round to quote. He didnt give me time to ask questions. He seemed to think he already had the deal done. I am swaying towards Conroys. I have 2 more quotes to get on Wednessday. Pickfords and Crown. I will update as soon as I have recieved them.

Davros you can ship as little or as much as you want to. Each company have stated that you can move as little as 1 box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.