NZ-UK

Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice
Default Re: NZ-UK

Originally Posted by Fishy
Hi. Reading your posts with interest and thought I would through myself into the mix.
Trying to work out if going back to the UK is really the right thing for myself and family. Hubbie not keen and haven't mentioned it to 3 kids yet but pretty sure they will jump at it. Trying to get better/permanent job and if that doesn't come off by xmas then will have to make decision to leave career behind and stay in NZ or return where I think I will have better job. (i'm a teacher and have been happy doing associated work and relieving but have left it too late to get NZ experience under my belt.)
Got 2 about to start uni so that would be huge expense in UK and totally illogical. Also my mum immigrated a yr ago! She has made most of it, but I know secretly she would jump at chance to go back. All very complicated, but so expensive living here, we just get by and would be mortgage free in Uk with current rates of exchange. Really worried though its a case of the grass is greener and would regret it after 6 mths. Have been here for 7 yrs and been happy until last 6 mths.
Hi Fishy

Can I ask what has changed in last 6 months to make you unhappy? X
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NZ4Now
I am a 34 so nearly a 40 something haha! OH is a 40 something

I just want to be home and the thought makes me smile soo much
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:33 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

As long as I'm back in Britain by the time I'm 50, I'll be ok is what I told myself when we left the U.K. at the age of 44 in 2011. Unless there was a significant change in my thinking.

With no job, it gives me more time to count the days and make plans. I don't want to be here and New Zealand is not exactly encouraging me to say. Ultimately, I will leave New Zealand by mutual agreement i.e. my leaving will suit all parties.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:39 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
As long as I'm back in Britain by the time I'm 50, I'll be ok is what I told myself when we left the U.K. at the age of 44 in 2011. Unless there was a significant change in my thinking.

With no job, it gives me more time to count the days and make plans. I don't want to be here and New Zealand is not exactly encouraging me to say. Ultimately, I will leave New Zealand by mutual agreement i.e. my leaving will suit all parties.
It is so hard. sometimes wish I'd never wanted to come here. It seems to open up every emotional wound you can imagine. Life will not be the same but hopefully we will all look back and be better individuals because of it all. I know that I will enjoy life to the full when I return.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:23 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Yes, emotional is spot on. I don't regret coming and on a really good day I can almost find some semblance of peace because we've done what we wanted to do, BUT........
once you've got on the merry-go-round of emigration, do you ever really get off?
I can see us, at home in the UK, being irritated with some aspect of our UK life, bemoaning our state of affairs and then suggesting to one another-shall we go back to NZ!! No............we can't, we shouldn't, we wouldn't?
Seriously though, living in NZ can make you appreciate so much more the aspects of life such as family, old friends and the positives of living in a country you were raised in, where you belong, where you are understood and accepted and where most people have a good sense of humour!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future

I don't regret coming either, but I have a really strong feeling that I've done that now and i'm ready to move on.
I also have a fear on being a ping pong pom and hubbie thinks it would screw up the kids (21,18 and 15). I know the weather here is great and so is our lifestyle (to a certain extent,) but in all honesty it's probably costing us money to live here.

Around 6 mths ago I started a masters course which would give me a new career and one which I wanted in the UK but couldn't afford to do. However the feeling of starting a new career when I was 54 suddenly seemed silly and I decided to try to return to the career of teaching which I already had, however I know doubt I will get a job so that's probably what started all this off, very selfish considering I am here with 5 other members of my family.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
Yes, emotional is spot on. I don't regret coming and a day so good I'm absorbed in what I'm doing and forget I'm here because we've done what we wanted to do, BUT........
once you've got on the merry-go-round of emigration, do you ever really get off?
Oh, I hope so
I can see us, at home in the UK, being irritated with some aspect of our UK life, bemoaning our state of affairs and then suggesting to one another-shall we go back to NZ!! No............we can't, we shouldn't, we wouldn't?
This is the stuff of nightmares, the above brings me out in a cold sweat just imagining that this might happen
Seriously though, living in NZ can make you appreciate so much more the aspects of life such as family, old friends and the positives of living in a country you were raised in, where you belong, where you are understood and accepted and where most people have a good sense of humour!
Amen to the above,

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 16th 2013 at 6:07 am.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:10 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Cheers!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:21 am
Iwannagohome.

Originally Posted by Fishy
I don't regret coming either, but I have a really strong feeling that I've done that now and i'm ready to move on.
I also have a fear on being a ping pong pom and hubbie thinks it would screw up the kids (21,18 and 15). I know the weather here is great and so is our lifestyle (to a certain extent,) but in all honesty it's probably costing us money to live here.

Around 6 mths ago I started a masters course which would give me a new career and one which I wanted in the UK but couldn't afford to do. However the feeling of starting a new career when I was 54 suddenly seemed silly and I decided to try to return to the career of teaching which I already had, however I know doubt I will get a job so that's probably what started all this off, very selfish considering I am here with 5 other members of my family.

Oh heck, I feel for you! Guilt is a terrible thing when you know your decisions can affect your loved ones.
My OH also thought about going down the road of retraining/changing career. In the end, the hassle and expense of re-training and then hoping to get a job at 50+ (by then) with no experience in that chosen field seemed too difficult and he really wasn't bothered so what's the point?
I'm destined to work until I drop down dead at 70 but that's the price I pay for dragging my family to the other side of the world!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Hi all, just an update house all packed and now were at hotel at airport out flight is tomorrow night and house completes tomorrow!

So tired and full of nerves eeeek!! X
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:13 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, just an update house all packed and now were at hotel at airport out flight is tomorrow night and house completes tomorrow!

So tired and full of nerves eeeek!! X
oh my! I hope everything goes fab for you. have a great flight home. Just wait til you go to the supermarket for the first time! I'm excited for you. Keep us all updated please!

You're taking that step forward.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
oh my! I hope everything goes fab for you. have a great flight home. Just wait til you go to the supermarket for the first time! I'm excited for you. Keep us all updated please!

First trip to M&S food hall was bliss...so much choice.
First trip to Tescos....er too much choice...help!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn

Thanks honey just seen on another post you're in talks with ex employer fingers and toes crossed

Will be updating you every step of the way... Now I'm sat I my hotel bed contemplating how to burn through hours until the plane leaves tonight at 9:30pm lol that kind of update?? Haha joke! X
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
First trip to M&S food hall was bliss...so much choice.
First trip to Tescos....er too much choice...help!
M&S on my first shop list
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:03 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Thanks honey just seen on another post you're in talks with ex employer fingers and toes crossed

Will be updating you every step of the way... Now I'm sat I my hotel bed contemplating how to burn through hours until the plane leaves tonight at 9:30pm lol that kind of update?? Haha joke! X
Any update counts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.