NZ Televisions

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road
Default NZ Televisions

Hi everyone

We are considering returning to UK after 6 years in NZ. I expect this has been asked a million times but will my TVs work in the UK, they have PAL and all that. Obviously if they dont they will take up valuable space in a container.

Cheers

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:09 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ Televisions

Originally Posted by Stuee
Hi everyone

We are considering returning to UK after 6 years in NZ. I expect this has been asked a million times but will my TVs work in the UK, they have PAL and all that. Obviously if they dont they will take up valuable space in a container.

Cheers

Ian
I don't think it will unless you have multiple video standard options. We had 3 tv's from the UK and only the small portable worked because it had an option to use a German standard. The only way to use our big TV was to plug it into a video recorder. It worked that way but not really good as you could only watch one channel at a time and if you needed to record something you had limited options. Now i guess the same problems you will have with a NZ telly in the UK. But we do have Freeview boxes now that may work to your favour, but unless you have a scart socket you may have trouble. Depends on you type of TV. Do what we did, flog you NZ telly. Every one buys flat screen lcd/plasma now any way. CRT TV's are cheap as chips now as no one wants them.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that, gives me an excuse to tell the misses we need a new flat screen TV. Oh but will my DVD players be ok!

Ian

Originally Posted by Lenmil
I don't think it will unless you have multiple video standard options. We had 3 tv's from the UK and only the small portable worked because it had an option to use a German standard. The only way to use our big TV was to plug it into a video recorder. It worked that way but not really good as you could only watch one channel at a time and if you needed to record something you had limited options. Now i guess the same problems you will have with a NZ telly in the UK. But we do have Freeview boxes now that may work to your favour, but unless you have a scart socket you may have trouble. Depends on you type of TV. Do what we did, flog you NZ telly. Every one buys flat screen lcd/plasma now any way. CRT TV's are cheap as chips now as no one wants them.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

rickg37 will become famous soon enoughrickg37 will become famous soon enough

Cheers for that, gives me an excuse to tell the misses we need a new flat screen TV. Oh but will my DVD players be ok!

Ian

We are going the other way to NZ, for our DVD players we googled the make and model number and gained codes using the remote control to change them to multi region or change the region code to the new location

Regards

Rick
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:59 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Ian
Just Google the model for the remote hack code to make it region free. Most players you can do this. I have many DVDs from all over (US/CA/NZ/UK) and never had a problem. And a new TV should handle it too. Hope you don't mind me asking but why are you going back?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Why are we going back? this is a question the wife and I throw at each other every ten minutes. We love the lifestyle here, houses arent great etc but you cant have it all, in general we like it.

After 6 years though we havent really had an offshore hoilday because we cant afford it, wages are low compared to outgoings (for us I mean, but then again I am a fire fighter and not a rocket scientist) we are not saving for the future either. I have been offered a transfer into a British Brigade and we have done quite well in the housing market here and are in a position where we can just about afford to go back and jump back on the housing ladder. If we leave it and think in a couple more years shall we go back I doubt we would be able to afford it.

We still have to make the final decision, so there is alot of debate in our house, we have 2 kids that have done there growing up here to think of aswell.

If we do go and it is a mistake I suppose you wil l see us on here in a few months getting information on getting back.

Cheers for the tv info

Ian

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Just Google the model for the remote hack code to make it region free. Most players you can do this. I have many DVDs from all over (US/CA/NZ/UK) and never had a problem. And a new TV should handle it too. Hope you don't mind me asking but why are you going back?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:41 pm

Why are we going back? this is a question the wife and I throw at each other every ten minutes. We love the lifestyle here, houses arent great etc but you cant have it all, in general we like it.

After 6 years though we havent really had an offshore hoilday because we cant afford it, wages are low compared to outgoings (for us I mean, but then again I am a fire fighter and not a rocket scientist) we are not saving for the future either. I have been offered a transfer into a British Brigade and we have done quite well in the housing market here and are in a position where we can just about afford to go back and jump back on the housing ladder. If we leave it and think in a couple more years shall we go back I doubt we would be able to afford it.

We still have to make the final decision, so there is alot of debate in our house, we have 2 kids that have done there growing up here to think of aswell.

If we do go and it is a mistake I suppose you wil l see us on here in a few months getting information on getting back.

Cheers for the tv info

Ian
Yep having no money is no fun at all. We are like that here at the moment in the UK. But i guess were better off here than NZ in that respect. Have you thought of Oz, double wages on average is what most rumours say. Best of luck mate.