Reload this Page >

NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

Old Oct 25th 2021, 1:52 am
Just Joined

LauraKnight24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

Hi everyone
Looking for advice of anyone who has moved back to the UK Post covid/brexit.
My husband and I have been away from Glasgow since 2004 and have lived in Auckland, NZ for the past 10 years. We love it here. Great jobs, 2 little kiwis (7 and 4 yo), great schools, good group of mates/community. BUT, we are feeling the pull of home. We could sell our Akl house and be mortgage free in Scotland, and have more time for family and things that are important. I'd semi retire which would be fantastic, I'm over working (currently have a pretty full on job which means it effects family time). We've mentioned it to parents back home and they think we're mad. Life in Akl is sweet but cost of living and mortgage means we'll be working for the next 25 years at least. Has anyone moved back to UK post covid/brexit? Qere worried the country is a sh!t show and we will regret it. But its where we are from and we'll always be proud scottish. Would.look to live in Houston/Kilmacolm area, ie not central Glasgow. Thanks all.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 11:28 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

Originally Posted by LauraKnight24 View Post
Hi everyone
Looking for advice of anyone who has moved back to the UK Post covid/brexit.
My husband and I have been away from Glasgow since 2004 and have lived in Auckland, NZ for the past 10 years. We love it here. Great jobs, 2 little kiwis (7 and 4 yo), great schools, good group of mates/community. BUT, we are feeling the pull of home. We could sell our Akl house and be mortgage free in Scotland, and have more time for family and things that are important. I'd semi retire which would be fantastic, I'm over working (currently have a pretty full on job which means it effects family time). We've mentioned it to parents back home and they think we're mad. Life in Akl is sweet but cost of living and mortgage means we'll be working for the next 25 years at least. Has anyone moved back to UK post covid/brexit? Qere worried the country is a sh!t show and we will regret it. But its where we are from and we'll always be proud scottish. Would.look to live in Houston/Kilmacolm area, ie not central Glasgow. Thanks all.
We just moved back from Canada 5 weeks ago and yes, our family thought we were crazy. We were living “the dream” but that came at a cost. Very high taxation and the feeling of never quite belonging. We missed people but also the land of our brith (corny yes, but it is lovely to say we are from here… rather than we are immigrants. The other side, family now think it is wonderful to have us close and the feeling of being with lifelong friends again cannot be underestimated.

As for the country, it isn’t perfect but then we left a s*#t show so no real difference. If it is what you want and will make you happy, go for it. We spent several years making the easy choice and stayed in BC. Now back, no regrets. For us, we are lucky that it is easier coming back. We can afford a nice home, retire and spend time doing the things we love.

Follow your heart.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 9:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3 View Post
We just moved back from Canada 5 weeks ago and yes, our family thought we were crazy. We were living “the dream” but that came at a cost. Very high taxation and the feeling of never quite belonging. We missed people but also the land of our brith (corny yes, but it is lovely to say we are from here… rather than we are immigrants. The other side, family now think it is wonderful to have us close and the feeling of being with lifelong friends again cannot be underestimated.

As for the country, it isn’t perfect but then we left a s*#t show so no real difference. If it is what you want and will make you happy, go for it. We spent several years making the easy choice and stayed in BC. Now back, no regrets. For us, we are lucky that it is easier coming back. We can afford a nice home, retire and spend time doing the things we love.

Follow your heart.
Are you older? Closer to retirement? I posted about homesickness in the Canada forum. But my kids are 16, 10, and 6, and I feel sick at making the wrong decision for them. I just want to be at home, and feel like I’ve done my time here (8yrs) but husband likes it here and doesn’t want to go back particularly although he will if I REALLY want to. It’s all on me which I suppose isn’t a surprise but I’m scared and I think I’m going to choose to stay because of fear…

I’m also not sure Canada is a shithole, when I listen to the UK news and girls being injected with date rape drugs, sewage pumping into the beaches, the NHS etc, the UK doesn’t really compare rationally.

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 25th 2021 at 9:26 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 10:42 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory View Post
Are you older? Closer to retirement? I posted about homesickness in the Canada forum. But my kids are 16, 10, and 6, and I feel sick at making the wrong decision for them. I just want to be at home, and feel like I’ve done my time here (8yrs) but husband likes it here and doesn’t want to go back particularly although he will if I REALLY want to. It’s all on me which I suppose isn’t a surprise but I’m scared and I think I’m going to choose to stay because of fear…

I’m also not sure Canada is a shithole, when I listen to the UK news and girls being injected with date rape drugs, sewage pumping into the beaches, the NHS etc, the UK doesn’t really compare rationally.
We waited until we retired before making the move back as we wouldn’t be able to afford it prior to that as we were both sucked into pension plans. I wanted to come back sooner but it took hubby a number of years to get to that point. We decided that we would either both stay or both come home.

Canada really isn’t bad but it just want for us anymore. We are lucky to settle in a smaller community with less problems that most other 0laces. Not perfect, but fine for us. We became very disillusioned with a Canada and yes, you canhave a great life but it came at a cost. For me, it was a feeling of never belonging.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thank you vh3 for your comments, "follow your heart" comment made me a bit teary!

Its interesting the heart vs head debate. Your comment Tirytory about "rationally" made me realise the 2 sides Im struggling with. Yes, rationally, NZ feels the best place for my kids to grow up - great weather, clean, respectful people (mostly) who are respectful of their environment, beaches, etc, etc. But emotionally, Scotland is the best place - family, belonging, history, culture, Europe, etc, etc. The tipping point for me captures both sides (1) rationally - we'd be virtually mortgage free and so could spend our time enjoying more important things than work and (2) emotionally - being close to aging parents means we wont have the heartache of seeing our loved ones die from the other side of the world, and we can help them as they helped us when we were young.

My kids are still little (daughter in year 2 and son yet to start school) so i feel our time is now, before they become too entrenched in school/life here. Tirytory, your decision is harder with your kids being a bit older. But I would still go. If you're unsettled/unhappy and they are open to moving back, then go. You'll have your citizenship should you need to go back.

vh3 i'll watch here with gusto for your updates on how life is going back in the motherland.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you vh3 for your comments, "follow your heart" comment made me a bit teary!

Its interesting the heart vs head debate. Your comment Tirytory about "rationally" made me realise the 2 sides Im struggling with. Yes, rationally, NZ feels the best place for my kids to grow up - great weather, clean, respectful people (mostly) who are respectful of their environment, beaches, etc, etc. But emotionally, Scotland is the best place - family, belonging, history, culture, Europe, etc, etc. The tipping point for me captures both sides (1) rationally - we'd be virtually mortgage free and so could spend our time enjoying more important things than work and (2) emotionally - being close to aging parents means we wont have the heartache of seeing our loved ones die from the other side of the world, and we can help them as they helped us when we were young.

My kids are still little (daughter in year 2 and son yet to start school) so i feel our time is now, before they become too entrenched in school/life here. Tirytory, your decision is harder with your kids being a bit older. But I would still go. If you're unsettled/unhappy and they are open to moving back, then go. You'll have your citizenship should you need to go back.

vh3 i'll watch here with gusto for your updates on how life is going back in the motherland.
I just moved from Auckland to the UK. originally from Scotland but living in East mids now. i have been back in UK since May.
in my forties.
I have young family pre school age.
what's your concerns about the UK and I will try and help from a honest point of view who's lived in both countries over past few years.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Moon_River is an unknown quantity at this point

Came back from small town NZ to the UK five years ago. After living there for nearly six years we sold up, packed up and came home. Didn't go back to the area we came from in Britain because we had done it to death and then some. Our old home town has moved on i.e. new developments which have made improvements I suppose but just don't suit my old school nostalgia ! Still love to visit, though.

We have lived in the East and West Midlands for four years, moving every 18 months as my husband was working on contracting roles doing accountancy work.

We purchased our house in the West Midlands last year for cash. My husband is working contract roles but working from home, 'coz of Covid' I accepted a job offer for a Working From Home job doing office work on Monday. I've yet to be advised of my start date by the employment agency.

I didn't really settle in NZ. I mean, it's right enough but my heart was never in it. I could sense, 'I can't do this anymore' coming. Which just means it was in the back of my mind to return to the UK either with or without my husband. I wish I understood why people rave about NZ. Oh well. As it goes, it didn't come to that. We returned to Britain together and all is well.

Feel the fear and do it anyway is all I can say. You might find nothing has really changed. Personally I found that comforting.
Old Oct 27th 2021, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Our main concerns are:
the mood of the nation/negativity/with media dickheads fueling the fire/Boris 🤦🏼‍♀️
the weather
the bams/neds
the crime
the dirty streets/general lack of pride/care
Think that's all!
Thank you 😊
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

the mood of the nation/negativity/with media dickheads fueling the fire/Boris 🤦🏼‍♀️

Switch off the TV and don’t go on social media.

the weather

No such thing as bad weather. Just bad clothing.

the bams/neds

I had to Google this. Initially I thought you were referring to Bachelors of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery but I see now you mean the hot polloi. Live in a nice area, in a tiny house if necessary.

Get a bin bag and a litter picking stick and help clean ‘em up.
There are plenty of nice tidy areas. Where my old Mum lives in Northern Ireland there’s not a speck of litter in sight. No bams/neds either. They’re all off getting degrees in civil engineering while their parents spend their weekends organising beach cleanups and doing Ayurveda.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about crime. Same advice applies: live in a nice area in a tiny house if necessary.
Also, the litter picking stick can double as a weapon.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our main concerns are:
the weather
the bams/neds
the crime
Think that's all!
Thank you 😊
I really don’t understand why you are considering moving back if this is what you expect because it sounds like you have all you want where you live. If you come back expecting all this then this is what you will find. We were fortunate to be able to afford to come back for a 6 month look-see before moving.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
I really don’t understand why you are considering moving back if this is what you expect because it sounds like you have all you want where you live. If you come back expecting all this then this is what you will find. We were fortunate to be able to afford to come back for a 6 month look-see before moving.
Totally agree, you see what you want to see and It's not as if NZ or Auckland is any better (In 2020, around 15,000 tonnes of waste was illegally dumped in Auckland, and Newman said that "by a wide margin", the majority of that was in South Auckland). I'm sure there is also more crime in Auckland than Houston/Kilmacolm area. It's not as if Auckland is Alicante either but if weather is a concern they will moan. For me Brexit would be an issue, those coming from NZ weren't in the EU anyway. It certainly helps if you don't watch local news and in the Republic of Ireland I only watch German news.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

it's all about personal opions and experiences.

example. I have lived over alot of Britain. I am now in East mids. I lived in South Auckland in NZ.
Before I moved to Auckland I lived in a really nice area in Essex. but its really busy and most of my work is in East London area.
So Auckland seemed quite.
I now live in East mids been here 6 months I have been stuck in traffic once in 6 months. No traffic what's so ever. Dont need to leave before 6 incase I'm stuck on SH1 lol
Same as rubbish. no rubbish or litter anywere in my village I would take my village over any south east or west Auckland for cleanliness. 30-40 min drive from 5 cities.
Its like if your from castlemill, Govan or parkhead type areas you will find any where on the north shore paradise. if your from the Bearsden west end areas and move to manurewa your in for a shock. know what I mean.

Its your on take on it and what suits you.
Same as the weather. I prefer UK winter to Auckland. its cold but not as damp. you can close your door and crank up the central heating lol summer is more consistant in Auckland thou.i found the NZ houses terrible. I personally would take a 3 bed semi ex council house on a corner plot over 95% of any house in NZ. but that's my opion again lol

Crime. more crime in Auckland then where I love in the UK now. but Auckland is better than London or major inner cities in the UK.
I would prefer the schools in my area than any in South Auckland aswell.
Loads of kids clubs in Britain and things todo.

I pay 670 pound a month rent in the Britian. 3 bed new build town house. lovely area.You can buy for 120-140k.
In South Auckland I was paying 1500 pound a month for a 3 bed shed. 750k dollars to buy the shed.
My wages are more and T&Cs are better in the UK now aswell.
Only reason we probably stayed a while as my wife had a good job in the prison that topped up our wages a lot. if she had a normal job in NZ min wage type job it would be hard to survive on one decent wage with a family.
Its your own personal experiences

Same as outdoors. I think most people that move to NZ lived in inner cities and get took in with the life and change there own life. As they didint make the effort in the UK. There is loads more stuff todo in the UK history wise and national parks and places that are accessible to the gen public. unless ur thing is the beach. same as the beach I would rather go to Blackpool or clacton or Yarmouth for the weekend than mission bay. once your over the view nothing else for me todo. I hate the beach. can't sit on it for 10 mins. only walk up and down the promenade every weekend down mission bay.

Same as covid.
I wouldn't make any rash dicsions in your lifes over or due to covid. The UK is over covid. I have been back since May and has not impacted my life what so ever. Even the lockdowns are not like NZ lockdowns it's just restrictions in the UK.

Last edited by jarv5116; Oct 28th 2021 at 12:53 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
it's all about personal opions and experiences.

example. I have lived over alot of Britain. I am now in East mids. I lived in South Auckland in NZ.
Before I moved to Auckland I lived in a really nice area in Essex. but its really busy and most of my work is in East London area.
So Auckland seemed quite.
I now live in East mids been here 6 months I have been stuck in traffic once in 6 months. No traffic what's so ever. Dont need to leave before 6 incase I'm stuck on SH1 lol
Same as rubbish. no rubbish or litter anywere in my village I would take my village over any south east or west Auckland for cleanliness. 30-40 min drive from 5 cities.
Its like if your from castlemill, Govan or parkhead type areas you will find any where on the north shore paradise. if your from the Bearsden west end areas and move to manurewa your in for a shock. know what I mean.

Its your on take on it and what suits you.
Same as the weather. I prefer UK winter to Auckland. its cold but not as damp. you can close your door and crank up the central heating lol summer is more consistant in Auckland thou.i found the NZ houses terrible. I personally would take a 3 bed semi ex council house on a corner plot over 95% of any house in NZ. but that's my opion again lol

Crime. more crime in Auckland then where I love in the UK now. but Auckland is better than London or major inner cities in the UK.
I would prefer the schools in my area than any in South Auckland aswell.
Loads of kids clubs in Britain and things todo.

I pay 670 pound a month rent in the Britian. 3 bed new build town house. lovely area.You can buy for 120-140k.
In South Auckland I was paying 1500 pound a month for a 3 bed shed. 750k dollars to buy the shed.
My wages are more and T&Cs are better in the UK now aswell.
Only reason we probably stayed a while as my wife had a good job in the prison that topped up our wages a lot. if she had a normal job in NZ min wage type job it would be hard to survive on one decent wage with a family.
Its your own personal experiences

Same as outdoors. I think most people that move to NZ lived in inner cities and get took in with the life and change there own life. As they didint make the effort in the UK. There is loads more stuff todo in the UK history wise and national parks and places that are accessible to the gen public. unless ur thing is the beach. same as the beach I would rather go to Blackpool or clacton or Yarmouth for the weekend than mission bay. once your over the view nothing else for me todo. I hate the beach. can't sit on it for 10 mins. only walk up and down the promenade every weekend down mission bay.

Same as covid.
I wouldn't make any rash dicsions in your lifes over or due to covid. The UK is over covid. I have been back since May and has not impacted my life what so ever. Even the lockdowns are not like NZ lockdowns it's just restrictions in the UK.
This has always been a problem and a lot of people think the UK they know is automatically the whole UK. The outdoors is always the best example and those who start to kayak in NZ probably never heard of Lough Neagh in the UK. I suppose one downside in parts of the UK is that you have a lot of housing estates. They all look the same and it can often ruin the picture, while in NZ the houses are often different (That has changed too).
Old Oct 29th 2021, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
I thought two things …..where the heck is she talking about as it sounds like a right hell hole…and why would you even consider moving if that was your list of worries lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.