Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

Old Oct 29th 2021, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ to Scotland in the post covid/brexit world

Originally Posted by Moses2013
This has always been a problem and a lot of people think the UK they know is automatically the whole UK. The outdoors is always the best example and those who start to kayak in NZ probably never heard of Lough Neagh in the UK. I suppose one downside in parts of the UK is that you have a lot of housing estates. They all look the same and it can often ruin the picture, while in NZ the houses are often different (That has changed too).
again horses for courses.
example
I would rather go a walk round most British heritage and national trust sites. castles and manor houses with gardens which are everyehere or ruined castles sites than anything nz has to offer in that way historical. only so many sheds and boats I can look at if I'm honest then I'm bored lol.
than drive 20km up a lane to a heritage site were first settlers arrived and there you have a 8x6 shed.
know what i mean lol
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
example
I would rather go a walk round most British heritage and national trust sites. castles and manor houses with gardens which are everyehere or ruined castles sites than anything nz has to offer in that way historical. only so many sheds and boats I can look at if I'm honest then I'm bored lol.
than drive 20km up a lane to a heritage site were first settlers arrived and there you have a 8x6 shed.
know what i mean lol
I know what you mean. Apart from NZ being so far away, you can drive 20 hours from Dunedin and you are still only in Auckland (same sheds, same boats:-) .
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
example
know what i mean lol
Oh yes! I can't wait to come back permanently. Do you mind me asking where you are approximately in the east Midlands? We used to live in Burton on Trent, which I loved but we don't want to go back.....need to find somewhere new.
Old Dec 20th 2021, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Juniper68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Are you older? Closer to retirement? I posted about homesickness in the Canada forum. But my kids are 16, 10, and 6, and I feel sick at making the wrong decision for them. I just want to be at home, and feel like I’ve done my time here (8yrs) but husband likes it here and doesn’t want to go back particularly although he will if I REALLY want to. It’s all on me which I suppose isn’t a surprise but I’m scared and I think I’m going to choose to stay because of fear…

I’m also not sure Canada is a shithole, when I listen to the UK news and girls being injected with date rape drugs, sewage pumping into the beaches, the NHS etc, the UK doesn’t really compare rationally.

Hi, Ive been in Oz for 20+ years I've been divorced now for a while and have sole custody of my kids age 17 and 13. I am so homesick and have been for a very long time and would love to go home to Glasgow but am terrified of making the wrong decision for my kids. My daughter starts year 12 next next year so cannot go for at least a year, shes had a really tough time at high school so not an option to leave'before she finishes school but then there is the uni issue, we would go back there and then have to pay massive uni fees which I cant afford so do I wait until she finishes uni but then my son will be in year 11 and doing exams etc then I feel like i can't disrupt that and then I'll be pushing 60 and whats the point of going back then, I really dont know what to do.
Old Dec 20th 2021, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Juniper68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have a great life here in OZ, been here over 20 years and my kids both have British and OZ passports, when I mention moving back to Glasgow area everyone, both here and there thinks I'm nuts but the pull of home is strong, family and old friends and all those things that tug at the heart string. I know from going home regularly that the lifestyle we have here in Perth is way better then it would be at home but that just doesnt make up for what we're missing out on with no family around.
Old Dec 20th 2021, 4:14 am
Just Joined

LauraKnight24 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've decided, we're going home. House up for sale in January, hoping to be back by April. We've
applied for citizenship in NZ, so if we hate it, we'll come back.
Hubby and I are in our early to mid 40s. Kids 7 and 4. Worst case we have an European OE for a couple of years and come back to NZ. We'll always wonder if we don't do it, and life is too short!
Old Dec 21st 2021, 1:29 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraKnight24
We've decided, we're going home. House up for sale in January, hoping to be back by April. We've
Hubby and I are in our early to mid 40s. Kids 7 and 4. Worst case we have an European OE for a couple of years and come back to NZ. We'll always wonder if we don't do it, and life is too short!

That’s exciting! Are you both 100% happy with the decision?

Last edited by Tirytory; Dec 21st 2021 at 1:37 am.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Yeah we are both happy with the decision although occasionally waver, especially as its mid summer here now! In saying that I repeatedly get burnt with my Scottish skin and the scorching sun here. Won't miss the humidity either!
Old Dec 21st 2021, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

As you say “you can always return” my outlook on life has tried to be “if it’s not working then fix it anyway that makes life better “ Just try and stay positive and remember treat your return like you have just migrated (again) to a new country “things will happen” that might not be expected or planned or thought of but just remember how you dealt with situations like that when you first arrived in NZ. Are you returning to the same areas you left in the UK? Have a lovely Christmas and good luck with your move
Old Jan 19th 2022, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
As you say “you can always return” my outlook on life has tried to be “if it’s not working then fix it anyway that makes life better “ Just try and stay positive and remember treat your return like you have just migrated (again) to a new country “things will happen” that might not be expected or planned or thought of but just remember how you dealt with situations like that when you first arrived in NZ. Are you returning to the same areas you left in the UK? Have a lovely Christmas and good luck with your move
Yeah it's been 17 years since we lived there, so definitely going with an open mind, one that is excited to explore our own country and make the most of it. We are moving to a village close by to the village I grew up in, but not the exact same area. Thanks for your best wishes, now we just need to find the best shipping company!
Old Jan 20th 2022, 6:43 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it's been 17 years since we lived there, so definitely going with an open mind, one that is excited to explore our own country and make the most of it. We are moving to a village close by to the village I grew up in, but not the exact same area. Thanks for your best wishes, now we just need to find the best shipping company!
Best of luck with your move. We recently returned to Scotland after 25 years in Canada. So far, no regrets. I didn't realise how much I missed being close to family. You don't need to see them lots but just being able to is enough.

Last edited by vh3; Jan 20th 2022 at 7:54 am.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Best of luck with your move. We recently returned to Scotland after 25 years in Canada. So far, no regrets. I didn't realise how much I missed being close to family. You don't need to see them lots but just bring able to is enough.
Perfectly put, that’s just how we feel after moving back after 29 years away.

Good luck with your move lauraknight.