NZ any better than OZ?

Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default NZ any better than OZ?

Just had my parents over from Nelson, NZ and in comparisom they say that NZ has much more to offer, any thoughts?

We are pretty much decided that we are heading back to the UK - April 2009, as Brisbane just isn't the place for us. However, I am getting lots of subtle grief from my parents to head over to NZ and give that a shot. My sister emmigrated from the UK, 12 years ago, originally Auckland, now Nelson and loves it. Hearing that we were coming to Brisbane, my parents sold up in the UK and now live permanently in NZ. (they did 6 month UK, 6 months NZ for years)

Great, going back to the UK, I now feel like the big bad ogre that is stopping my kids from knowing their grandparents & family.

I haven't seen as much negative press for NZ on here as I seem to see for OZ, is that because it is fantastic, less people therefore less criticism or I just haven't found it?

Cheers for any insights
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ any better than OZ?

I don't know.

and theres no answer for your question.

for me, The UK is better than OZ or NZ. Because the UK has a lot and much more to offer.

My dad said if you can survive and can have a good job, surely the UK better

Because we are human being, not just animal. We need more than just eat, drink, fresh air or good scenary.

for me, the culture, shopping, civilization, intelligence, good accomodations are more important than fantastic views of beautiful Wellington Harbour etc I never travel much in Nz, cos I am not interested in, I rather want to attend classical music concerts in London and hanging with proper true Brit friends.

but, I am not capable enough to get a good enough job in the UK (at least right now)

so I am here - with no choice

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 5th 2008 at 5:38 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Oh dear, I take it things not so good in Wellington.

If its any consolation, its pretty damm boring here in Brissy too!

My hubby point blank refuses to try NZ, posted to ease my guilty feelings.

Thank the lord above I got a career break before we headed down under, in case it all went belly up.

Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Oh dear, I take it things not so good in Wellington.

If its any consolation, its pretty damm boring here in Brissy too!

My hubby point blank refuses to try NZ, posted to ease my guilty feelings.

Thank the lord above I got a career break before we headed down under, in case it all went belly up.

Good luck
sorry if I made you feel down (?)

I am very tired this afternoon so don't bother my cr*p English.

Wellington is a nice place in some way - A lot of people agree that. I think it is true. Nice, clean, tidy and quiet. What more can you expect then? for me, I don't particualy bored here because I am always occupied with something to do - work/study etc. however. I just can't buy any clothes and shoes etc which fit to me. and things(basic consumer goods) are very expensive/no choice which I can't stand (sometimes). That's just a pain. so I never do any shopping here, I only do when I go to overseas. But I rarely leave NZ or going to Europe either- becaue it is very expensive to go away from NZ

It really what your priority is and what's your preferences are.

If you've got kids, a safer place wouln't be better for them?

I am young and single, so my priority is different from married people I guess.

I wish I could give you some good advise than just moaning about my life here, as I am the one who has lived in both places (Oz/Nz)

all I know is you don't make much money in NZ - tha'ts for sure

If money is important for you - Oz would be an answer.

apart from that, I much prefer NZ to OZ.

Oz is too hot and not hygienic + a bunch of immigrants from all over the world - I felt annoyed facing them every day on streets (I was in danger a few times in Sydney - so I never feel I ever wanna go back again)

Whatever choice you make, best of luck for you.

Last edited by crap coffee; Aug 5th 2008 at 6:07 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

No probs

Funny you should mention the hygenic bit, we have had really dodgy stomachs after eating out several times.

If you like Steak & chips you are well catered for here in Brissy.

I've visited NZ several times and think its beautiful, food & wine were fab but not somewhere we want to live. life however, would be easier as all my family now live in NZ.

I suspect we are too british to enjoy either NZ or OZ. We are both 40 ish and I think we had become very settled in our UK lifestyle to really want to change. Glad we did it though.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Hi Karen

We looked at NZ a couple of years ago, had job offers over there and considered a move from Aus to there. However once we did our sums the pay was slightly lower, no superannuation, houses were way more expensive, home loan rates 10.8% and they only had 3 weeks annual leave. Plus I'd still be homesick for the UK and even less able to afford to go there for holidays with less time to spend over there....

So it was an easy decision to pass up NZ in favour of a return to the UK next year, NZ is GORGEOUS though - you haven't mentioned that in your OP, so it sounds like you are relieved that your husband has flat out refused....

I have extended family out there who recently moved their 80+ grandma out there as all the other family members had progressively immigrated over the years to NZ, its not an easy decision to make for her as she is elderly and wanted to live her remaining years in Scotland, but it wasn't possible.

With your sis in NZ then IMO your parents moved there for her so you can therefore return to the UK with a clear conscience.

This emigration thing, opens up a whole can of worms in every family eh?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I spent eight years in NZ and then came to Australia and I prefer Australia but then I live in Melboune and we get the four seasons here and there is a lot more happening here in my opinion than Brisbane. I have friends in Brisbane and I am not a fan of the beach or the heat so there is nothing there for me.

We are brits though and have been here for a long long time now and have relatives in NZ who are happy there. I also have a lot of friends over there still and keep in touch.

I lived in the UK for a while but did not like the weather so we returned to Aus to live.

My family are dispersed around the world so migrating was not a problem for us and my mother and brother live here also Uncle over in Perth.

I think if you have a good job you do not mind the weather a lovely family then I would not consider migration at all. None of my family in the UK have ever considered migrating.

I really do not know what people are looking for. My brother and I had no choice in the matter as we were children when we first left the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Proportionally, more New Zealand citizens choose to live in Australia, compared to Australian citizens choosing to live in New Zealand.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Proportionally, more New Zealand citizens choose to live in Australia, compared to Australian citizens choosing to live in New Zealand.
hey, excuse. everybody knows that
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
No probs

Funny you should mention the hygenic bit, we have had really dodgy stomachs after eating out several times.

If you like Steak & chips you are well catered for here in Brissy.

I've visited NZ several times and think its beautiful, food & wine were fab but not somewhere we want to live. life however, would be easier as all my family now live in NZ.

I suspect we are too british to enjoy either NZ or OZ. We are both 40 ish and I think we had become very settled in our UK lifestyle to really want to change. Glad we did it though.
Oh isn't the steak and chips thing so true! People have insisted a couple of times that we go somewhere because they do great steak and they think I'm odd that I'd actually prefer fish or chicken! Must be hell being a vegetarian here.
And the steak is often pretty average too, no decent sauce and stuff with it.

Go down to Tassie for good food - theirs is superb, I always overeat there. U here in brisbane - waste of time and money unfortunately.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

We are both in our 40's with 2 kids of 10 and 12 have lived in NZ for nearly 5yrs and totally agree with Crap Coffee. We are soooo bored of this place are heading home as soon as house sells
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
We are both in our 40's with 2 kids of 10 and 12 have lived in NZ for nearly 5yrs and totally agree with Crap Coffee. We are soooo bored of this place are heading home as soon as house sells
Looking at your home I thought how beautiful how could they possibly want to leave with such spectacular views. Shouldnt take you long to sell.

But you hit the nail on the head when you said you were bored. People have said to me how could you possibly want to move from such a beautiful home but the house is nothing unless you have everything else to go with it. I would gladly swop my home here for a small one in the UK but also have that feeling when I get up in the morning that life holds something more that just a house.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Looking at your home I thought how beautiful how could they possibly want to leave with such spectacular views. Shouldnt take you long to sell.

But you hit the nail on the head when you said you were bored. People have said to me how could you possibly want to move from such a beautiful home but the house is nothing unless you have everything else to go with it. I would gladly swop my home here for a small one in the UK but also have that feeling when I get up in the morning that life holds something more that just a house.
You are so right, it means very little if your not happy or settled.

House is difficult to sell as market crap and everybody wants a bargain we are considering dropping our price at least $50,000 so we can sell and go home. The financial loss doesn't even come close to what I have lost since living here. We want out of NZ and in a falling market we have to be realistic, if it means taking a major drop in price we have to consider it
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
You are so right, it means very little if your not happy or settled.

House is difficult to sell as market crap and everybody wants a bargain we are considering dropping our price at least $50,000 so we can sell and go home. The financial loss doesn't even come close to what I have lost since living here. We want out of NZ and in a falling market we have to be realistic, if it means taking a major drop in price we have to consider it
When we get back from holiday in the UK we are putting our house back on the market either as soon as we get back or in the Spring. Nothing really moves here in the Winter with all the snow. We are also faced with the option of either leaving the price as it is and not selling or dropping the price and hoping it will sell.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

If I had to tot up (which I have done mentally - too scared to write it down) what we lost financially in
a)moving to NZ;
b) living and working there and
c) returning to the Uk and living and working here again

the figure would frighten you!

Still there is more to life and living than money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.