Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Nurses moving to Wales…??

Nurses moving to Wales…??

Old Nov 2nd 2022, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses moving to Wales…??

Originally Posted by bethel
Hello, I’ve been lurking on this forum now for about 20 years!. Here’s my situation - I’m a British citizen ( also became a US citizen about 15 years ago), I moved here to Oregon from Wales when I was 26. I’m now married to a USC and have a good job as an RN, also my spouse has a job he’s happy in as an RN. Both in our 50’s, we’re pretty focused on saving for retirement. I had a series of underpaid jobs all my life, and then finally went to nursing school when I was 50 ( I’ve been a full time employed RN for 2 1/2 years now ), so even though this is my first reasonably well paid job in my life ( ! ) I also have student loans to pay off. We own our little house, and have one elder Boston Terrier and no kids ( my spouse has adult kids that don’t live nearby ).
BUT! I want to go home! I feel like I just want to be close to my family, my dad died about 4 years ago and my sister is living close to my mum. My mum is still an independent and vigorous 81 yr old, but she’s losing her marbles a teeeny bit, and we can see the writing on the wall. She’s planning on moving in with my sister within the next year. This is all great but I feel the guilt of not being nearby to help out with things, and my sister is stressed by being the only one there for my mum.
If it was me on my own, I’d probably say F*&% it and just move back, to hell with my finances. This would be a huge financial mistake I know, but that’s what I’m like, I tend to think “ ah, it’ll all work out”. My spouse on the other hand is far more rational about these things and is determined that we save for a good retirement and then move to Wales when we retire. ( Again, he’s USC, but willing to move to the UK with me ). This makes sense, It’s good thinking, but it feels way too late!! Move in our late 60’s ?! My mum will not be with us by then, and even though I plan to be healthy when I’m older, really who knows what will have happened by then.
If we moved to the UK now, and got jobs as nurses, we would be paid less than half what we do here. It’s a very stressful job, neither of us are sure we would want to do it for so little pay. I also have another four years of paying off my student loans.
So it feels impossible to move now or soon, but I feel like I’m kind of stuck here because of stupid money ( see what my attitude is like? )

Does anyone have a point of view or constructive criticism or a kick up the butt for me?
Hi, I was lucky enough to move back “home “ and spend some wonderful years with my dad before he passed away, I would say to you move now, you both can find jobs as nurses and if I have it “right” your husband will not have to go through being on a spouse sponsor and all the money that entails. I know plenty of nurses here who earn excellent money and have a “cushy” work place some work for the NHS but quite a few have gone into the “private” sector and wishes they had done that years ago. Housing in wales in relatively “cheap” compared to a lot of parts of England, cost of living is cheaper in some area as well your a youngster yet and have quite a few years of work ahead of you, would I be unhappy whilst in my “prime” or would I slog it out and be happy when maybe my quality of life is on the decline nope I have seen that happen to to many people I have/do care about. Good luck with your decision x
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, I was lucky enough to move back “home “ and spend some wonderful years with my dad before he passed away, I would say to you move now, you both can find jobs as nurses and if I have it “right” your husband will not have to go through being on a spouse sponsor and all the money that entails. I know plenty of nurses here who earn excellent money and have a “cushy” work place some work for the NHS but quite a few have gone into the “private” sector and wishes they had done that years ago. Housing in wales in relatively “cheap” compared to a lot of parts of England, cost of living is cheaper in some area as well your a youngster yet and have quite a few years of work ahead of you, would I be unhappy whilst in my “prime” or would I slog it out and be happy when maybe my quality of life is on the decline nope I have seen that happen to to many people I have/do care about. Good luck with your decision x
I’m glad you got to spend time with your dad, it’s so important. I’m going to try to do more research to find out what kinds of nursing jobs I can get, I’m very happy in an outpatient job at the moment. I think maybe I can go halfway and think more seriously about moving back when we’ve paid off our student loans and our mortgage in about 5 years. Of course, the part of Wales I want to live is more expensive, I want to live near the sea and have a garden. But even though it’s right to be financially responsible, I think it can also be a mistake to live a life that I don’t really want for years and put all my eggs in the retirement basket. I’m an oncology nurse, and I’ve seen a lot of retirement plans go out the window with a bad diagnosis.

Old Nov 2nd 2022, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Typo, cheaper Class 2. You only get to pay this if you were working in UK before you moved to US, and were working in US immediately after move. Probably some limited gap allowed, but I don't remember the details - the application form to pay voluntary NI will spell it out. If in doubt, apply for class 2, worst case they say no and require you to pay the more expensive class 3.

Pension not frozen if you stay in USA or retire to UK (will be if you move to Canada). The frozen pensions in selected countries nonsense may end one day, but it's been this way for decades so don't hold your breath.
Thanks, I’ll look into this more. I was mostly a student before I left the UK, but I had a few little jobs here and there. Then there was a 6 month gap before I got another crappy job in the US.