British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Now a US Citizen wanting to return to the UK...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/now-us-citizen-wanting-return-uk-854443/)

davejm15 Mar 13th 2015 2:59 pm

Now a US Citizen wanting to return to the UK......

I am 50yrs, born & raised in the UK, moved to the USA in 2001, became a US Citizen in 2008, presently residing in the midwest! I am looking at options as to returning to the UK but have found it somewhat difficult in finding information on-line regarding the exact procedure, etc. I contacted 'UKGOV.COM' but, bizarrely, got a reply including the line "we do not currently have a policy on this".....then got links to tax questions, health, etc upon returning!!! I couldn't understand why there wasn't a procedure for this!!! I saw there may be some form of test to take but I would appreciate any practical advice from people who have/are in my position.

Sincerely,
Dave

SanDiegogirl Mar 13th 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Now a US Citizen wanting to return to the UK......

You just buy a ticket, get on a plane and go.

You are British - there is no procedure.

mikelincs Mar 13th 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by davejm15 (Post 11591448)
I am 50yrs, born & raised in the UK, moved to the USA in 2001, became a US Citizen in 2008, presently residing in the midwest! I am looking at options as to returning to the UK but have found it somewhat difficult in finding information on-line regarding the exact procedure, etc. I contacted 'UKGOV.COM' but, bizarrely, got a reply including the line "we do not currently have a policy on this".....then got links to tax questions, health, etc upon returning!!! I couldn't understand why there wasn't a procedure for this!!! I saw there may be some form of test to take but I would appreciate any practical advice from people who have/are in my position.

Sincerely,
Dave

If you were born and raised in the UK, then you surely must be a British Citizen? do you have a British Passport? where either of your parents British? If you can answer yes to any of these then it's a very simple task, yo move to the UK you just rock up and come on. Get your British Passport first though, it makes things simpler.

davejm15 Mar 13th 2015 3:12 pm

Yes, I HAD a British passport (though expired), national insurance # & parents were both British. In addition, my children & grandchildren all reside in the UK.

I thought it would be a simple enquiry to research but it's turning not to be the case. I had read there was a "test" to for returning nationals is one had been away longer than two years!!

That was my initial thought......I could just return but the "test" brought about some nervousness coupled with me now just holding a US passport!!

Sally Redux Mar 13th 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by davejm15 (Post 11591457)
Yes, I HAD a British passport (though expired), national insurance # & parents were both British. In addition, my children & grandchildren all reside in the UK.

I thought it would be a simple enquiry to research but it's turning not to be the case. I had read there was a "test" to for returning nationals is one had been away longer than two years!!

That was my initial thought......I could just return but the "test" brought about some nervousness coupled with me now just holding a US passport!!

Are you talking about getting benefits? I think that is the confusion.

davejm15 Mar 13th 2015 3:20 pm

No - I have options on employment once I return and/or I will remain self-employed! I also have options on living arrangements. I do not seek benefits. I simply need to know if, as I hold US Citizenship, I can just walk back into the UK & continue with my life THERE as I was born there! I may be over thinking it, of course but I would have thought there was a "policy" or "process" easily out there to research but, boy oh boy......not the case:)

christmasoompa Mar 13th 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by davejm15 (Post 11591462)
I simply need to know if, as I hold US Citizenship, I can just walk back into the UK & continue with my life THERE as I was born there!

If you're a UK citizen, then of course you can.

Having US citizenship makes no difference at all, other than making you a dual citizen, but you are still a UKC with all the rights that entails which includes being able to return anytime you like.

not2old Mar 13th 2015 3:32 pm

information in the following

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

Citizens Advice - Search results

davejm15 Mar 13th 2015 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11591471)
If you're a UK citizen, then of course you can.

Having US citizenship makes no difference at all, other than making you a dual citizen, but you are still a UKC with all the rights that entails which includes being able to return anytime you like.

Thank you.....as I thought! However, one would think one could find that in clear English somewhere but, wow:)

not2old Mar 13th 2015 3:35 pm

and from our very own BE website wiki

Over 50's MBTTUK Useful Links/Info : British Expat Wiki

colchar Mar 13th 2015 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by davejm15 (Post 11591448)

Sincerely,
Dave

There is no procedure because you are a British citizen. You do not need to apply, you simply show up with your British passport and that is it.

dunroving Mar 13th 2015 4:24 pm

If you have been living in the US for more than 10 years, you will be required to take the English as a Foreign language Exam.

dunroving Mar 13th 2015 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11591522)
If you have been living in the US for more than 10 years, you will be required to take the English as a Foreign Language Exam.

I was just kidding. But you will have to take the irony detection test to see if you still have a British sense of humour.

davejm15 Mar 13th 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11591525)
I was just kidding. But you will have to take the irony detection test to see if you still have a British sense of humour.

It made me laugh, thank you:)

It would appear, the first avenue is to renew my British passport....then take it from there!!

dunroving Mar 13th 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by davejm15 (Post 11591535)
It made me laugh, thank you:)

It would appear, the first avenue is to renew my British passport....then take it from there!!

Then you have passed BOTH required tests - congratulations! One free pass to return to the UK - come on over!