Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

And now, the end is near....

And now, the end is near....

Old Feb 28th 2003, 7:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, forgot to post the google search link
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...junk+mail+list
Old Feb 28th 2003, 8:23 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: And now, the end is near....

Originally posted by Patrick
The news coverage over here is not fair at all. They spent 5 minutes yesterday lamblasting anti-war protestors - the closing monologue was "...we may all hate them but they have funny signs". I am not use to news being so biased.

Stuff being priced less tax - you get $10 out of your wallet for something that costs $9.99 and then they ask for $11.73 - I will have to get used to it.
Don't get me started on the tax thing, it annoys the frothing **** out of me sometimes, because it catches me out.

PBS and BBC America carry a 30 minute BBC World News every day, for a slice of a more worldy based, less biased newscast. I live by it.

Fox is by far the worst of the 24hr news channels for bias, with CNN pegging a close 2nd. They barely gave even a dismissive a mention to the US war protests, and labeled the European protests as crazy liberals.

I love the sheer amount of free stuff you can get here if you know where to look. I get free subscriptions to Maxim, FHM, Rolling Stone, Stuff, Blender, New York magazine & Timeout. My wife gets plenty for herself too, like Marie Claire, etc.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 6:45 am
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a big Hershey's lover but that all changed when I tried Dove chocolate & there Truffles. Oh man Dove chocolate puts Hershey chocolate to shame IMO. The truffles are to die for & oh so yummmmmy. I wont eat a Hershey's candybar anymore I stick to Dove.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 10:38 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
One must note that traveling abroad to many means traveling to Canada. They, like the US states, tax the merchandise at the cash register, not add the PST/GST to the tag price of the item.
Rete, thanks for the clarification.

When I said "travelling abroad" I meant it in reference to the countries I've had personal travel experience in: Costa Rica, Chile, South Africa, New Zealand, various Caribbean islands, and England. I did not mean it in an all-inclusive sense, and realize now that I hadn't made that clear and came off sounding quite ignorant! My apologies...

~ Jenney
Old Mar 1st 2003, 10:57 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I found out something else I don't like, junk mail. We have only been in the house 4 days, where do these people get your name and address from. Give me British privacy laws any time!
Aaah!! Welcome to the beloved American game of "Trying to Remove Oneself from Junk Mail Lists," Patrick!!! Hating junk mail -- and telemarketers -- is an all-American pasttime. I don't care what people say about baseball, it's not true!!

It doesn't take much to get your name on mailing lists here. A couple of weeks ago, a piece of junk mail arrived in my mailbox addressed to Mark Stevens -- a solicitation for a pre-approved PLATINUM Barnes & Noble credit card with a credit line up to $100,000!!! This despite the fact that you have to be at least a permanant resident to be eligible for the card, and Mark doesn't even have a K-1 visa yet!!

Mark has only spent a month total in the US in his entire life, so you'd think it wouldn't be long enough for him to start getting pre-approved credit card applications in the mail. But all it took was ordering an out-of-stock book from B&N when he was visiting last fall and having it mailed to my address in his name. Bam! Welcome to Junk Mail City!!

So, as you can see, it doesn't take much. He hasn't gotten any telemarketing calls yet, but I suspect it will only be a matter of time.

Anyway, something that I do when I fill out various "non-legal" forms -- such as to get "discount club cards" at the grocery store or magazine subscriptions, etc. -- is to sign up using my dog's name rather than mine. So at the very least, when I get a telemarketer asking to speak with Andie, I have the satisfaction of saying, "Umm, that would be a bit difficult, as Andie is a dog."

Maybe you could try this tactic using Harry's name!?

~ Jenney
Old Mar 1st 2003, 2:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has been getting preapproved credit card applications ever since we got married and short of having his name on the marriage license that 's the only record of him here in the US and yet the apps started rolling in!!!
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:12 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I found out something else I don't like, junk mail. We have only been in the house 4 days, where do these people get your name and address from. Give me British privacy laws any time!
.. and the calls from telemarketers! Sheesh
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:17 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

They have or maybe it's just my state? a blocking thing you can get for telemarketers for 5 bucks a year or something. I'm not home much during their (telemarketers') prime calling time because of two jobs, but one of these days (when life returns to normal and my husband's here AND employed) I am going to look into it.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:21 pm
Banned

Originally posted by meauxna
We also have no self-service gasoline.
I noticed the last time we drove through... not sure if it's a good thing or not. I'm so used to pumping my own gas.. Ken says it has something to do with creating employment ??
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
I noticed the last time we drove through... not sure if it's a good thing or not. I'm so used to pumping my own gas.. Ken says it has something to do with creating employment ??
<snort>
That's one of the reasons we use, but I'm pretty sure it's been disproved. Oregonians just like it the way it is & don't want to change.
And our gas prices are as high as anywhere else.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:56 pm
Banned

Originally posted by meauxna
<snort>
And our gas prices are as high as anywhere else.
Another thing I wondered about... I noticed the gas prices were higher than in Washington State, at least in the Spokane area. After all you have to pay the guys who pump the gas...
Old Mar 1st 2003, 5:34 pm
Mrtravel

cindyabs wrote:
    >
    > My husband has been getting preapproved credit card applications ever
    > since we got married and short of having his name on the marriage
    > license that 's the only record of him here in the US and yet the apps
    > started rolling in!!!

Of course, there is a world of difference between a "prapproved
application" and actually getting an approval. They mail this trash to
everyone. Your dog might get one.