Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Not trying hard enough ...????

Not trying hard enough ...????

Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:41 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not trying hard enough ...????

Originally Posted by quoll
Nope, familiarity has bred contempt in my case. When I had been here as long as most of you now have, I would have said that things were going swimmingly. Now I am older I see the place for what it is.
I reckon yer all softies who got seduced by 'the dream', no harm in admitting it now ... might as well since you've wasted so much time here
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:47 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I reckon yer all softies who got seduced by 'the dream', no harm in admitting it now ... might as well since you've wasted so much time here
Nup... never intended to come here when i left UK so definitely had no "dreams" for Australia. Just sort of ended up here by accident

Time wasnt wasted either. I had some fun in the early days, but the shine has worn off. My overseas adventure covering 3 countries has been anything but a waste of time. I am a completely different, more confident and happy person because of it. I found out a lot of things I like about myself that I never knew before.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Nup... never intended to come here when i left UK so definitely had no "dreams" for Australia. Just sort of ended up here by accident

Time wasnt wasted either. I had some fun in the early days, but the shine has worn off. My overseas adventure covering 3 countries has been anything but a waste of time. I am a completely different, more confident and happy person because of it. I found out a lot of things I like about myself that I never knew before.
Me neither! It just seemed like the best opportunity at the time and then we just sort of got stuck here. I cant understand all this "living the dream" stuff. I could understand it if it were "grabbing opportunities with both hands". As it is, the dreams seem to comprise living in a Macmansion with pool which probably wont get used after the first couple of years, in a tourist resort full of tourists and retirees - oh and the weather! Might just as well have gone to Torquay because it sure as hell isnt Australia!

We'd lived in PNG pre independence (now that was culture shock!) and UK before ending up here, travelled extensively through Asia pre kids and generally had a good time.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:26 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

That is the best way to try another Country, if you watch the TV programmes about emigrating you will always be dissapointed when you finally get there, Perth looked intresting and lively before I actually got there....boy was I dissapointed
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:46 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

And very good too, you KNOW I'm just having a chortle

If I'd planned my life then I wouldn't have ended-up here ... and that says a lot about plans, research, reasoning and all that bollocks.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:55 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Before I had scrolled down to your post I was about to write the very same thing!!!
For the first 3yrs or so I loved it, but an increasing sense of disatisfaction kept growing inside. I felt I never wanted to leave initially.
I dont feel any of it has anything to do with not trying hard enough or there being something wrong with me perse. I have just moved on and got older and consequently my priorities in life have changed. I just dont feel Aus has anything to offer me long term. Add to that the fact I am now a granny who cant be with the new members of my family because of the distance and it's a complete no brainer to stay here.

Australia is not a horrendous place, it just bores the @arse off me and I want to experience a lot more new things before I die. My recent return to UK confirmed how bored I am here. Even with my exciting new job things are lacking for me. I just wish I had this same opportunity in London (hopefully I may still get it)
Exactly

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 25th 2008 at 3:57 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:35 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

And very good too, you KNOW I'm just having a chortle

If I'd planned my life then I wouldn't have ended-up here ... and that says a lot about plans, research, reasoning and all that bollocks.
Of course I know

But like you, I get bored and like to play devils advocate adding some flavour here and there.
I hate those threads where someone writes something and the entire page of replies is just a repeat of the same thing. I have even been know to oppose the general consensus just to add some balance.

Anyway.. men are from mars, women are from venus and you are talking from uranus
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Well i am coming to Brissy in 4 weeks get the coffee ready.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Anyway.. men are from mars, women are from venus and you are talking from uranus

Like it