Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Not moving but coming for a couple of months!

Not moving but coming for a couple of months!

Old May 3rd 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not moving but coming for a couple of months!

Originally Posted by quoll
Yes, loved the wedding and, no, not bought an outfit yet. I have no idea what to wear! All that I own has some black in it and the mother in law has said that I cant wear black. I am tempted to tell her where to stuff it but will see what fits, what I can afford, what I look good in and what is comfortable in mid August!!! I wish I looked like Carol Middleton then I wouldnt mind trying to find a suit! (Think Dawn French!!!)
lol Dawn French is just lovely....We had a family wedding to attend not long after we arrived here last year...the wedding was August and all through Jan,Feb etc while in Aus I visited all (well nearly) clothes shops in Perth looking for an outfit....started off 5'8" (I wish) and ended up 5'4" lol.....anyway ended up buying an lovely dress in the sale at Coast in Manchester....it's lovely and for the quality I could not believe the amount I paid for it.....maybe you could wait until you arrive here and find out what colour the brides flowers are and match a colour based on that....anyway I am sure you will look as lovely as you come across in your threads on Expats...
Old May 4th 2011, 5:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
lol Dawn French is just lovely....We had a family wedding to attend not long after we arrived here last year...the wedding was August and all through Jan,Feb etc while in Aus I visited all (well nearly) clothes shops in Perth looking for an outfit....started off 5'8" (I wish) and ended up 5'4" lol.....anyway ended up buying an lovely dress in the sale at Coast in Manchester....it's lovely and for the quality I could not believe the amount I paid for it.....maybe you could wait until you arrive here and find out what colour the brides flowers are and match a colour based on that....anyway I am sure you will look as lovely as you come across in your threads on Expats...
I had an informal wedding to attend 2 weeks after I arrived and I got a nice outfit in Wallis.

If you are on the "larger size" Evans is not the shop it used to be, it has fabulous stuff in there now great outfits and shoes, I bought some fab jewellery for my grand-daughters instead of Easter Eggs.

There is just so much variety over here, I would say wait too Quoll and buy British!!
Old May 4th 2011, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My DH says to wait until I get there as well but the thought of being potentially dressless scares me witless! I hate buying clothes at the best of times but will keep a note of potential sources!!!
Old May 4th 2011, 9:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Online clothes shopping is really big here, one of my sister's uses this site A LOT (she is a shopaholic )

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/nav/s...pgUid=11096608
Old May 4th 2011, 2:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Not moving but coming for a couple of months!

My DH says to wait until I get there as well but the thought of being potentially dressless scares me witless! I hate buying clothes at the best of times but will keep a note of potential sources!!!

TBH when I've been on holidays in Australia I've been disappointed with the womens clothes shops and clothes in Oz are very expensive compared to the UK and prices are similar to Singapore (although I do have a lovely 'Country Road' coat which I bought when they had their shop at my local mall in the States, but it wasn't cheap!).

You will find a much wider choice for a suitable wedding outfit when you get to England, and you can't go wrong if you can get to a department store such as John Lewis or Debenhams. Good brands for wedding outfits are Alexon and Windsmoor. I'm always wary of online shopping as the clothes look great on the models but you can't see or feel the quality of the material and prefer to try clothes on in the shops.

However, if you are really in a panic, you could perhaps order something online to be delivered in the UK and it will be waiting for you when you arrive and can be returned if you don't like it. Here's a couple of links - you need to scout around for their 'occasionwear' though:

http://www.fiftyplus.co.uk/shop/home

http://www.curvety.com/ (you can choose Oz$ or UK pounds)
Old May 4th 2011, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Ladyhart is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree wait until you arrive in the UK.

Until 2 weeks ago I didn't even own a dress (that I could still squeeze into!)very much a trouser and long skirt person, dress code doesn't exist where I work (academia). But I had to buy something for my younger sons wedding and I used a personal shopper all the big stores offer this service John Lewis Debenhams etc. I did both of these and it's fantastic you are taken to a private room they offer you a coffee while your "shopper" scours the floor looking on your behalf you just need to tell them what the event is. There is absolutely no pressure to buy - they bring loads out for you.

I opted for something I would not have even looked at myself and you get the whole look together as they bring shoes bags hats/fascinators jewelry etc. Mine was £313 for absolutely everything (incl shoes) which for a special occasion I thought was OK. This was with Debenhams I normally loath shopping but I would throughly recommend this service.
Old May 4th 2011, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ladyhart
I agree wait until you arrive in the UK.

Until 2 weeks ago I didn't even own a dress (that I could still squeeze into!)very much a trouser and long skirt person, dress code doesn't exist where I work (academia). But I had to buy something for my younger sons wedding and I used a personal shopper all the big stores offer this service John Lewis Debenhams etc. I did both of these and it's fantastic you are taken to a private room they offer you a coffee while your "shopper" scours the floor looking on your behalf you just need to tell them what the event is. There is absolutely no pressure to buy - they bring loads out for you.

I opted for something I would not have even looked at myself and you get the whole look together as they bring shoes bags hats/fascinators jewelry etc. Mine was £313 for absolutely everything (incl shoes) which for a special occasion I thought was OK. This was with Debenhams I normally loath shopping but I would throughly recommend this service.
Wow, had not given that a thought - did you do that in London? I rather fancy that idea. I agree £313 is excellent value!
Old May 5th 2011, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Ladyhart is an unknown quantity at this point

No, all City Centre Departmental stores offer this and I cannot emphasise enough absolutely NO pressure to buy anything in fact I didn't at John Lewis,
hopefully this will be the same for everybody and I didn't just strike lucky!!
Old May 5th 2011, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, had not given that a thought - did you do that in London? I rather fancy that idea. I agree £313 is excellent value!

Go to the big new John Lewis in Cambridge. We were just there last week and I was very impressed

I thought of you while we were there. If for some reason we were ever to move back I could live in Cambridge or one of the surrounding villages. It was so beautiful, all the spring flowers were blooming, the sun was shinning and people were having picnics on the common and on Jesus Green.....best vacation I've had in years
Old May 5th 2011, 5:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I had an informal wedding to attend 2 weeks after I arrived and I got a nice outfit in Wallis.

If you are on the "larger size" Evans is not the shop it used to be, it has fabulous stuff in there now great outfits and shoes, I bought some fab jewellery for my grand-daughters instead of Easter Eggs.

There is just so much variety over here, I would say wait too Quoll and buy British!!
Evans is brilliant these days, some great stuff. They also do mail order to Australia now - postage £7 flat rate
Old May 5th 2011, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Go to the big new John Lewis in Cambridge. We were just there last week and I was very impressed

I thought of you while we were there. If for some reason we were ever to move back I could live in Cambridge or one of the surrounding villages. It was so beautiful, all the spring flowers were blooming, the sun was shinning and people were having picnics on the common and on Jesus Green.....best vacation I've had in years
So glad you liked my home town, it is glorious!!!

OK John Lewis will be my first stop - will check to see if they have a personal shopper system, I am really liking the sound of that.