Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

North East England after Canada

North East England after Canada

Old May 21st 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North East England after Canada

Originally Posted by Brigette
The pictures are beautiful! What kind of camera did you use?
Thanks! Its a Nikon bridge camera 'cool pix L310' with 21x zoom. I picked it up when I was in the UK for 130 quid.

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
this is an interesting thread.

We have been living in the north east for the last 18 months, and tbh I'm not that keen. The west midlands was much more friendly, although the northumbrian coast is nice. Before that I was in Manitoba for a couple of years

I look out of my office window in Hartlepool and think how much it reminds me of Winnipeg, On balance I think I would rather be in canada than the UK.

I have a permanent job in the northeast, and I spend the day looking at properties on the internet, and I have realised I don't really want to live here!!
Thats too bad, although Hartlepool / Teesside isn't the nicest of places! is commuting from Yarm an option?
Old May 21st 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

transatlantic,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look online now for that camera. The quality of the pics were beautiful
Old May 22nd 2012, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by transatlantic

Thats too bad, although Hartlepool / Teesside isn't the nicest of places! is commuting from Yarm an option?
No, to make ends meet I have 2 part time jobs, one in hartlepool and one in northumberland(up to Alnwick), so effectively I need to live in and around Newcastle. As you may know real estate in Newcastle is pretty expensive if you wish to live in a reasonable place and the schooling is not that impressive

Believe me when I say that the novelty of great scenery and a sense of history soon wear off. The other british traits of poor customer service, bad traffic, dysfunctional society, lager louts, ferrel underclass & social service scroungers soon takes over your perception of the place.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
No, to make ends meet I have 2 part time jobs, one in hartlepool and one in northumberland(up to Alnwick), so effectively I need to live in and around Newcastle. As you may know real estate in Newcastle is pretty expensive if you wish to live in a reasonable place and the schooling is not that impressive

Believe me when I say that the novelty of great scenery and a sense of history soon wear off. The other british traits of poor customer service, bad traffic, dysfunctional society, lager louts, ferrel underclass & social service scroungers soon takes over your perception of the place.
That commute would dishearten even the most overly positive person! must be over 120 miles a day?

I have no illusions that the NE is utopia, there are some pretty crap parts! however I spent most of the time in Dunston area which isn't especially desirable to say the least and still had the experiences I posted.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

That commute would dishearten even the most overly positive person! must be over 120 miles a day?

I have no illusions that the NE is utopia, there are some pretty crap parts! however I spent most of the time in Dunston area which isn't especially desirable to say the least and still had the experiences I posted.
I think I commute about 230 mlles a week,

If you are reasonably content in Canada, then I would stay there, if I were you, The novelty of the nice bits of the UK wear off pretty quick - I guess you could say that about anywhere though!
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

After 2.5 years in Canada I have just got back from an eye opening trip to the North East of England. The people were all nice 'here ya go pet' the supermarkets cheap and the countryside lovely. Only let down was the weather was a bit dull. Now i'm confused as I was reasonably content in Canada until my trip.... now I feel nothing for the place.

Anyway, here are the pictures I took!

Newcastle- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1515011

Tynemouth- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1514826

Hexham- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1514774
Wow, I am returning back in Aug after nearly 4 yrs here. I was completely settled here, however my health has not been good to me in the last 18 months. We chose to go back because our lifestyle is not equivalent or better than the UK. My friends have said to me that I am more radiant now and it looks like a light has been turned on. I have to say I can't wait but I shall also miss Canada.