Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

North East England after Canada

North East England after Canada

Old May 21st 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default North East England after Canada

After 2.5 years in Canada I have just got back from an eye opening trip to the North East of England. The people were all nice 'here ya go pet' the supermarkets cheap and the countryside lovely. Only let down was the weather was a bit dull. Now i'm confused as I was reasonably content in Canada until my trip.... now I feel nothing for the place.

Anyway, here are the pictures I took!

Newcastle- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1515011

Tynemouth- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1514826

Hexham- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1514774

Last edited by transatlantic; May 21st 2012 at 1:21 am.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Re: North East England after Canada

I think for most, you dont apprieciate the UK until you have actually been away and come back.I know i didnt ! We spent 10yrs in Canada and decided to come back last August.We moved back to the lake district and now i acutally lap up the shear beauty of the place every single day.The rockies are lovely too,but the lake district is equally as beautiful. I love the history an culture this country has,the people are so friendly and lovely and yes i find groceries very cheap . I love being back !!!!
Old May 21st 2012, 7:56 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by transatlantic
After 2.5 years in Canada I have just got back from an eye opening trip to the North East of England. The people were all nice 'here ya go pet' the supermarkets cheap and the countryside lovely. Only let down was the weather was a bit dull. Now i'm confused as I was reasonably content in Canada until my trip.... now I feel nothing for the place.

Pity you are not still here, the weather this week is going to be lovely.
Sometimes it takes a major upheaval like emigrating to be able to truly see just what your home country offers. Canada for us just didn't work.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Pity you are not still here, the weather this week is going to be lovely.
Sometimes it takes a major upheaval like emigrating to be able to truly see just what your home country offers. Canada for us just didn't work.
Right now I think we will stick it out until citizenship in a year and a bit, and then look into coming home.

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
I think for most, you dont apprieciate the UK until you have actually been away and come back.I know i didnt ! We spent 10yrs in Canada and decided to come back last August.We moved back to the lake district and now i acutally lap up the shear beauty of the place every single day.The rockies are lovely too,but the lake district is equally as beautiful. I love the history an culture this country has,the people are so friendly and lovely and yes i find groceries very cheap . I love being back !!!!
The other thing I appreciated was the variety of landscapes in such a small area, going from the lush farmland of the Tyne Valley to the windswept moorland around Hadrian's wall only takes a matter of minutes but looks a world apart.

Last edited by transatlantic; May 21st 2012 at 10:53 am.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:25 pm
Banned

ryankluke is an unknown quantity at this point

best people in the world the Geordies :-)
Can get a bit chilly up there though
Old May 21st 2012, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryankluke
I heard somewhere this week that North East ladies take better general care of themselves than anywhere else in the Country...now as a Mancunian I cannot agree lol...its a glorious day here today in Derbyshire, in the distance I can see Manchester and its being bathed in Sunlight....yep when the weather comes out to play the UK puts on a "grand" show....
Old May 21st 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Newcastle and Leeds are I think the only major Cities we have never visited but after looking at your lovely photo's we definately will make a trip. I do love the North East Coast though and definately a nice accent is spoken in the North East.
Old May 21st 2012, 4:53 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

We moved to Hexham last September. We lived up here 20 years ago (got married in Hexham Abbey) and have come back for work.

My middle daughter and I took the dog for a walk by the Tyne this afternoon and she told me that she thinks this the best place she's lived (she's moved around a lot!). She says it's the people, the countryside and how pretty everything is.
Old May 21st 2012, 4:56 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for posting your pictures. They are great. We are moving from Canada to the Scottish Borders and we are looking forward to visiting the places you have photographed. Can't wait to be able to visit the towns and coast in the NE. We visited the Borders and Northumberland in March and were blessed with great weather, but even when the skies are grey you just can't beat the architecture and lovely landscape. Have missed both of those since the day I landed here and nothing has changed that feeling in over 30 years.

I love when someone calls me 'pet' or 'love' or whatever the other local terms are in the UK. Some people may be offended by it, but I just see it as a friendly term of endearment. I also love that complete strangers will have a wee chat or a blether with you. Such a nice feeling.

Thanks for posting.
Old May 21st 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for posting the picture links. Brightened my weekend. The North East is likely my final destination so any information is grateful received.
Old May 21st 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

True... I moved from London to Newcastle when I was 11.

Originally Posted by brits1
Newcastle and Leeds are I think the only major Cities we have never visited but after looking at your lovely photo's we definately will make a trip. I do love the North East Coast though and definately a nice accent is spoken in the North East.
Funny thing is I barley scratched the surface, missed out Durham, Alnwick, the whole Northumberland coast, Beamish etc.

We moved to Hexham last September. We lived up here 20 years ago (got married in Hexham Abbey) and have come back for work.

My middle daughter and I took the dog for a walk by the Tyne this afternoon and she told me that she thinks this the best place she's lived (she's moved around a lot!). She says it's the people, the countryside and how pretty everything is.
Its a lovely town! I have one grandmother in Hexham and one in Haltwhistle.

Thank you for posting your pictures. They are great. We are moving from Canada to the Scottish Borders and we are looking forward to visiting the places you have photographed. Can't wait to be able to visit the towns and coast in the NE. We visited the Borders and Northumberland in March and were blessed with great weather, but even when the skies are grey you just can't beat the architecture and lovely landscape. Have missed both of those since the day I landed here and nothing has changed that feeling in over 30 years.
I love when someone calls me 'pet' or 'love' or whatever the other local terms are in the UK. Some people may be offended by it, but I just see it as a friendly term of endearment. I also love that complete strangers will have a wee chat or a blether with you. Such a nice feeling.
Haha I like it as well, almost every shop I went in I was refereed to as 'pet' 'hin' 'hinny' 'dear' etc.

vikingsail
Thank you for posting the picture links. Brightened my weekend. The North East is likely my final destination so any information is grateful received
Glad it helped!
Old May 21st 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the beautiful photos! You made this Geordie well and truly homesick
Old May 21st 2012, 6:28 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

True... I moved from London to Newcastle when I was 11.

Funny thing is I barley scratched the surface, missed out Durham, Alnwick, the whole Northumberland coast, Beamish etc.

Its a lovely town! I have one grandmother in Hexham and one in Haltwhistle.

Haha I like it as well, almost every shop I went in I was refereed to as 'pet' 'hin' 'hinny' 'dear' etc.

Glad it helped!
We have visited the Northumbrian coast many times and absolutely loved it. It is one of our favourite areas of the UK. We stayed in Warkworth a couple of times, and must recommend the chippy in Amble just a 5 mins drive away. We ordered 2 lots of fish and chips which fed four of us! Absolutely fantastic. Also in mid August they have the village festival at Warkworth castle which is great, everyone must go to the WI cake tent, ah bliss!?!?!
Old May 21st 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

this is an interesting thread.

We have been living in the north east for the last 18 months, and tbh I'm not that keen. The west midlands was much more friendly, although the northumbrian coast is nice. Before that I was in Manitoba for a couple of years

I look out of my office window in Hartlepool and think how much it reminds me of Winnipeg, On balance I think I would rather be in canada than the UK.

I have a permanent job in the northeast, and I spend the day looking at properties on the internet, and I have realised I don't really want to live here!!
Old May 21st 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

The pictures are beautiful! What kind of camera did you use?

Last edited by Brigette; May 21st 2012 at 6:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.