Reload this Page >

Norfolk Broads/Gt. Yarmouth

Norfolk Broads/Gt. Yarmouth

Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Norfolk Broads/Gt. Yarmouth

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Not snobs. The place is a dump.. I should know i lived there for a bit.. all there is is the sea front, the swimming pool, over priced small sea world, the pleasure beach yeah right.... and a load of arcades where you can spend a few hundred quid and a get a soft toy you could get from pound land No my mistake yes its great place to visit even better in the winter when every thing is shut down.......
Yes you are a snob typical of Britain although you don't seem to be there anymore, you think it's a dump but others may not. I would not choose to live there but my point was it serves it's purpose for some people and who is to say the O.P would not enjoy a day trip there. Me and some lads used to go to Southend for an anual jolly and again it served its purpose, would I live there? no way. Some people like to actually go on them sort of holidays and why not,a dump to you but someone elses escape even if for a short while. I live in the 5th most liveable city in the world (apparently)yet border on hating the place, without the sun it would be a borderline dump , maybe I am more suited to Yarmouth in my Burberry cap.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"a snob typical of Britain"? this must be the sweeping generalisation thread

You seems to be in the minority here. I would defy anyone visiting great yarmouth not to see it as a tacky dump. Hembsby is less developed and tacky. Some people might want the tacky seaside resort experience, but that doesnt change what it is.

As others have said the north norfolk coast is nice in that undeveloped way, but if you drove 2+ hours up the A11 just to go to yarmouth I cant help but think you would wonder why you bothered with going there rather than somewhere closer.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Yes you are a snob typical of Britain although you don't seem to be there anymore, you think it's a dump but others may not. I would not choose to live there but my point was it serves it's purpose for some people and who is to say the O.P would not enjoy a day trip there. Me and some lads used to go to Southend for an anual jolly and again it served its purpose, would I live there? no way. Some people like to actually go on them sort of holidays and why not,a dump to you but someone elses escape even if for a short while. I live in the 5th most liveable city in the world (apparently)yet border on hating the place, without the sun it would be a borderline dump , maybe I am more suited to Yarmouth in my Burberry cap.
Why dose it make me a snob because I don't like a place and you a chave because you do.. talk about stereotyping....
So you are saying you would go to Gt Yarmouth in the winter then? As this is what the poster was talking about in the first place visiting in the winter...
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
"a snob typical of Britain"? this must be the sweeping generalisation thread

You seems to be in the minority here. I would defy anyone visiting great yarmouth not to see it as a tacky dump. Hembsby is less developed and tacky.

As others have said the north norfolk coast is nice in that undeveloped way, but if you drove 2+ hours up the A11 just to go to yarmouth I cant help but think you would wonder why you bothered.
Yes I do agree and I must say Yarmouth is tacky but it was the dismissive attitude of the posters that got my goat, and being in the minority does not make you wrong either ( although I probably am here )
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Why dose it make me a snob because I don't like a place and you a chave because you do.. talk about stereotyping....
So you are saying you would go to Gt Yarmouth in the winter then? As this is what the poster was talking about in the first place visiting in the winter...
No it is the attitude of the posts.

I think Norwich is a shithole but would not say so because it happens to be where some people call home

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Sep 4th 2009 at 2:54 pm. Reason: Cannot be arsed
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
No it is the attitude of the posts.

I think Norwich is a shithole but would not say so because it happens to be where some people call home
Well I'm sorry if my opinion of a place offends you but I still think Gt yarmouth is a dump and until they do something about it I will always think it a dump. You are entitled to your opinion. Yes parts of Norwich are a dump I would agree. So what’s your point.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up in Yarmouth a few years ago because Norwich was gridlocked so I detoured. Must say I had a really pleasant afternoon and a super fish and chips lunch at one of the fish shops on the front. They were building the wind farm at the time and I always mean to go back and have a look at how it turned out. Dont know that I would really want to spend more than a day there but as a different experience it was interesting.

I also had a day in Hunstanton on my last trip - probably also a "dump" in comparison with the GC or other Aus beach but we had a ball along with the thousands of others that thronged the front. My gd had her first ever pony ride and was in her element - even tried cockles (at 19 months I was a bit anxious but she preferred them to prawns!). It may sound naff but it was fun - there was so much lightness and enjoyment from everyone else who took the sunshine to head to the seaside that it made for a lovely day. I couldnt have stayed a week but the day was just fine.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:11 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I love Elm Hill!
Aw crap that takes me back - lovely tea shoppe, thatched roof, great cake and fire.

Gt Yarmouth stopped being great a long, long , long time ago - Holkham Beach on the other hand is wonderful - but not in Winter when the
North Sea gales fly directly in your face and make you wish you could enter Hell NOW to get warm.

Norwich is beautiful try and stay at the "Maid" hotel if you can,it has atmosphere, they had a lovely dining room - probably refurb'd and gone now...
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Not snobs. The place is a dump.. I should know i lived there for a bit.. all there is is the sea front, the swimming pool, over priced small sea world, the pleasure beach yeah right.... and a load of arcades where you can spend a few hundred quid and a get a soft toy you could get from pound land No my mistake yes its great place to visit even better in the winter when every thing is shut down.......
no you are NOT a snob !!!!!! you just have BETTER taste
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:45 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Only thing I like in Great Yarmouth is the fantastic 18 hole pirate themed crazy / mini golf! Wroxham / Wroxham Barns is quite a nice afternoon out, but Norwich is the place to go IMO. A couple of English Heritage places up that way too if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:59 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

OK guys, thanks a lot, we have got the message we are going to Norwich for 3 nights, the first night will be on arrival from our flight. We have Elm Hill on the list to see plus the Broads etc. If we feel like it we can drive over to Gt. Yarmouth for a morning or afternoon.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
OK guys, thanks a lot, we have got the message we are going to Norwich for 3 nights, the first night will be on arrival from our flight. We have Elm Hill on the list to see plus the Broads etc. If we feel like it we can drive over to Gt. Yarmouth for a morning or afternoon.
Perfect
Old Sep 5th 2009, 8:09 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I would stay away from the Broads, its full of funny folk up there!

This is in Great Yarmouth, and the inbreds built an industrial estate around it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Norfolk Broads/Gt. Yarmouth-proxy.jpeg  
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:51 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

We moved back to Norwich after a few years in Perth (we're in Sydney now) and decided that a lovely New Year treat would be to take our 3 young daughters to the aquarium in Gt Yarmouth. We were full of memories of time spent at AQWA and were expecting something similar. I won't go into details but we came out half an hour after entering with our girls calling it 'The Sad Fish Museum'! Then we looked out at the North Sea - January, Siberian wind, grey, and saw the wind turbines going round in the foggy distance, remembered the Indian Ocean outside AQWA and burst out laughing. It was either that or cry!
I loved living in Norwich, most of the Norfolk coast is lovely, the Broads are gorgeous, esp in summer, but I'm very glad I don't have to go to Yarmouth. That said, it does have some great museums which are definitely worth a visit.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

PatrioticBriton1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, while we're on the subject of Great Yarmouth, I was there two weeks ago. I wasn't too fond of it at first, but soon got used to it. I was visiting my half-sister there.
(Most weekends I actually went to Peterborough for the day to keep myself from spending lots on the bingo!)
(Seriously, gotta love the bingo though, it's fun to play, and nearly won £10 on the gold card! Didn't have the cards lit up though! )
Still, I agree, Great Yarmouth is not the place to be in the winter months, as is the case with most seaside resorts. You'd probably have better luck going to somewhere further inland, such as North Norfolk, Norwich, or even West Norfolk if you get the chance.
I'd rather take the train than drive, it only takes two hours to get to Norwich from London Liverpool Street, and takes nearly three hours on the M11/A11! Not to mention if you pay in advance it's only £11-18 per person for a train ride over 100mph. (Better than flying anyway, at least you see something out of the window for the entire journey)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.