Wikiposts

Norfolk

Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:57 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Norfolk

We are currently due to move back to the UK in 2020 after 24 years in Canada. We have been all over the map trying to decide where we should begin our new journey from our native Scotland or further afield. We are seriously looking at Norfolk as it appears to have everything we could wish for. Better weather, good connections to Europe and not far from London. We have become used to living in a very large city therefore being able to travel by train is important to us however we are looking for a quieter life. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Kirati is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Norfolk

Quieter life is almost definitely a YES for Norfolk. Apart from it being quite rural, it is still the only county without a motorway.
I live near King's Lynn. Train connections from here to London is good too. All the best with your future move.
I will be moving to Canada this Sept for two years (BATUS).

Last edited by Kirati; Aug 10th 2018 at 9:58 am.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:44 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kirati
Quieter life is almost definitely a YES for Norfolk. Apart from it being quiet rural, it is still the only county without a motorway.
I live near King's Lynn. Train connections from here to London is good too. All the best with your future move.
I will be moving to Canada this Sept for two years (BATUS).
Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are looking for quiet but access to events etc that a train can take us too. King's Lynn is on our radar but we will rent for the first year and then see where we like best. Good luck in Canada.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm from south of the county line border, the blue Suffolk side. Although not been home/there in 15 years mainly because of costs but miss it badly! Take a look at Woodbridge or Trimley just outside Ipswich as that's somewhere I would personally return to and maybe one day soon!
Old Aug 10th 2018, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"The only county without a motorway" ? I can think of lots in Scotland in that happy position ! Mind you "the county" as a local government dicision disappeared a long time ago from both sides of the Tweed !
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"The only county without a motorway" ? I can think of lots in Scotland in that happy position !
There's quite a few others in England too - Cornwall, Dorset, Isle of Wight etc.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Kirati is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's quite a few others in England too - Cornwall, Dorset, Isle of Wight etc.
I stand corrected. I guess I haven't been around much then. But I hope he got the point.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Suffolk doesn't have a motorway unless ones been added in the 15 years I've been away! but we have the A12 link to London which is only an hours drive away if you drive quick!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Norwich from the USA a year and a half ago (i'm originally from London). It has not disappointed us yet. It is quite laid back as far as cities go, but there is still a lot to do. Great place to bring up children as there is always something going on geared towards them. Weather is brilliant most of the time. Drier and sunnier than most places. Fantastic architecture - great place to show off to visitors, especially the cathedral and castle. State of the art library for bookworms. Norwich airport will take you to Amsterdam, where you can make connections to all over Europe. Good rail service to London and elsewhere, including North Norfolk coastal regions (where we spend a good bit of time on the Blue Flag beaches). The Broads waterways are nearby too - also accessible by train. Bus service is pricey within the city (we don't have a car, but if you do, no worries then). Any questions, feel free to ask.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 3:25 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Perth
We moved to Norwich from the USA a year and a half ago (i'm originally from London). It has not disappointed us yet. It is quite laid back as far as cities go, but there is still a lot to do. Great place to bring up children as there is always something going on geared towards them. Weather is brilliant most of the time. Drier and sunnier than most places. Fantastic architecture - great place to show off to visitors, especially the cathedral and castle. State of the art library for bookworms. Norwich airport will take you to Amsterdam, where you can make connections to all over Europe. Good rail service to London and elsewhere, including North Norfolk coastal regions (where we spend a good bit of time on the Blue Flag beaches). The Broads waterways are nearby too - also accessible by train. Bus service is pricey within the city (we don't have a car, but if you do, no worries then). Any questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you so much for this information. I know we have become "North Americanized" and that worries me a little which is why we need to be nearer to a larger city. Living in Vancouver we have all the amenities within walking distances but also a very relaxed way of life and of course access to concerts etc. Our first choice was the Borders so that we could be near Edinburgh but we have reflected a lot and want to travel to all the places we have not seen, access to the continent is also very important to us. Is there anything you really miss?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Thank you so much for this information. I know we have become "North Americanized" and that worries me a little which is why we need to be nearer to a larger city. Living in Vancouver we have all the amenities within walking distances but also a very relaxed way of life and of course access to concerts etc. Our first choice was the Borders so that we could be near Edinburgh but we have reflected a lot and want to travel to all the places we have not seen, access to the continent is also very important to us. Is there anything you really miss?
Frankly, the things I miss the most are my daughter and my dog who stayed behind Other than that, not really anything.
Norwich has several good theatres and a thriving music scene. We don't lack for anything on that front. We have found it to be a walkable city in most instances. On occasion, if we are out late, we will take a cab. ABC Taxis are efficient, clean cars, drivers are polite and they drive electric vehicles.
If being near the continent is important, Norwich airport will get you there.
I am sure you would get all you need from Edinburgh too, including access to Europe, so I guess it depends on what weather challenges you are up for! It has been blisteringly hot here in Norfolk this summer, and although we had a few cold days and some snow this past winter, it was quite mild as compared to Scotland.
The only negative I would say about Norfolk is its accessibility to and from other parts of the country. The train station will get you anywhere you want to go, but often times you will need to travel to London first even if you are going north or west. There are no motorways in the county (which I count as a plus) but, again, can cause driving difficulties if you want to get out and about across the county.
The city has recently been named one of the best places to live on several lists, so home prices are going up accordingly. I have met several London transplants living here quite happily. Similarly in the coastal regions, second homes are being snapped up and are consequently starting to climb out of reach of the ordinary citizen. On the whole though, Norfolk is a hidden gem and Norwich in particular offers a lot more than its real estate price reflects.
Any other questions, let me know.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Very flat Norfolk, as John Betjeman used to say.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 1:37 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Very flat Norfolk, as John Betjeman used to say.

I think Noel and Gertie might have said it first.

Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked at Lincolnshire. Property is cheaper as well as good roads and rail.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 3:54 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Benson55
Have you looked at Lincolnshire. Property is cheaper as well as good roads and rail.
We haven't looked at Lincolnshire at all however we are planning an extended vacation next year to scope of Norfolk and if we like what we see we will rent for a year. We figure by the end of the year we will know if it is right for us or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.