British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Non Residents? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/non-residents-552593/)

methven Aug 1st 2008 11:09 am

Non Residents?

Hi, moving back to the UK in a few weeks after 2.5 years in Australia. When we left the Uk we never declared ourselves non residents and I was wondering if this could be a problem for us financially or otherwise, if for example we need to have any dealings with unemployment benefit office or tax office?

Thanks for any advice.

Methven

Honest_H Aug 1st 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Non Residents?

Originally Posted by methven (Post 6635202)
Hi, moving back to the UK in a few weeks after 2.5 years in Australia. When we left the Uk we never declared ourselves non residents and I was wondering if this could be a problem for us financially or otherwise, if for example we need to have any dealings with unemployment benefit office or tax office?

Thanks for any advice.

Methven

Methven,

Have you been making any voluntry Nat Ins payments, or paid tax or claimed any benefits since you've been away?

methven Aug 1st 2008 1:23 pm

Hi, not in the Uk but have been paying tax here in Australia and at one point claimed family benefit.

Cheers.

Honest_H Aug 1st 2008 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by methven (Post 6635722)
Hi, not in the Uk but have been paying tax here in Australia and at one point claimed family benefit.

Cheers.

Methven,

I would say then that from their records that they already know that you haven't been in the UK for the past few years.

You could check with the department of non residents. They are really helpful.

I can't see you having any issues though, as long as you can prove that you intend to stay in the UK when you return, then you will be able to claim child benefits, job seekers allowance and or income support straight away. I'n no expert, but that's what I've found out from various government websites.

Hope it helps

methven Aug 1st 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks Honest_H,

Now we've made the decision to return home my head is spinning with the amount we have to organise and non residency is part of that whirlwind. Really appreciate your help - cheers.

Methven

Jay Bird Aug 1st 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by methven (Post 6635832)
Thanks Honest_H,

Now we've made the decision to return home my head is spinning with the amount we have to organise and non residency is part of that whirlwind. Really appreciate your help - cheers.

Methven

Mr Oldbag and I left the UK for Canada in 2004; did not notify anyone in Officialdom that we were leaving....and the intention was to leave for good. Returned home a month ago, and have picked up Life where it left off. We may well decide to top-up the missing years of NI conts, but if we don't it's no huge loss as we were away for several years during the 80's. You may find that if you register for unemployment benefit you will not be entitled to it as this is determined by the NI conts you paid during a specific time period, governed by the last letter of your NI number.

Ruby Murray Aug 1st 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by oldbag (Post 6636257)
Mr Oldbag and I left the UK for Canada in 2004; did not notify anyone in Officialdom that we were leaving....and the intention was to leave for good. Returned home a month ago, and have picked up Life where it left off. We may well decide to top-up the missing years of NI conts, but if we don't it's no huge loss as we were away for several years during the 80's. You may find that if you register for unemployment benefit you will not be entitled to it as this is determined by the NI conts you paid during a specific time period, governed by the last letter of your NI number.

Hey Oldbag....don't ya think it's time you changed that signature of yours!! ;)

Jay Bird Aug 1st 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 6636396)
Hey Oldbag....don't ya think it's time you changed that signature of yours!! ;)

Hi Ruby.......nah, cos the mentality of the place remains the same regardless of where I live! Good to see you back on here again..........:D

TruBrit Aug 1st 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by methven (Post 6635722)

Cheers.

i guess when you cancelled your child benefit when you left the UK it will be recorded that you are non resident. same happened to neighbours of ours when they moved to NZ for 2 yrs and returned home to the UK they were in the system as non resident due to the child benefit records.

methven Aug 3rd 2008 11:48 am

Thanks folks for the replies - the to do list is ever increasing. Just about to part with the money for Etihad flights. Have heard some good and bad comments about them but price is great in a time when flight prices are spiralling upwards.

Cheers,

Methven

djoerk Aug 4th 2008 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by methven (Post 6641202)
Just about to part with the money for Etihad flights. Have heard some good and bad comments about them but price is great in a time when flight prices are spiralling upwards.
Cheers,
Methven

Etihad: Would be interested to hear of your experiences for they are cheap -

...another cheaper one can be Gulf Air. Anyone tried that?

Dave_Was Aug 5th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by oldbag (Post 6636257)

Do they let you catch up for all the years that you missed?

I have been in and out of the country a couple of times and must be missing some years of NI. I plan to return in a couple of years and don't know whether I should be looking into this now or whether I should wait till I come back to the UK.

Ruby Murray Aug 6th 2008 3:54 am

Originally Posted by oldbag (Post 6637196)
Hi Ruby.......nah, cos the mentality of the place remains the same regardless of where I live! Good to see you back on here again..........:D

Good to be back bird....good to be back!! Says a lot though dunnit.....I've tried to stay away from here to "enjoy life" but even in the peak of summer, I am STILL bloody thinking of and wishing for "home" :o

Honest_H Aug 6th 2008 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave_Was (Post 6649374)
Do they let you catch up for all the years that you missed?

I have been in and out of the country a couple of times and must be missing some years of NI. I plan to return in a couple of years and don't know whether I should be looking into this now or whether I should wait till I come back to the UK.

Dave,

You can pay into your state pension fund for about 7 quid a week, I think you can choose to pay monthly or quarterly or yearly. This way you don't have to pay the full voluntery amount, but it keeps your pension up to date.

I did look into this a year ago, and it seems pretty straight forward. If you go on line and look up the department of british citizens abroad, they will be able to help.

britishbull Aug 10th 2008 3:18 pm

Well, even though you left the UK I think you are still supposed to send them the yearly tax return, with fines if you don't. Even if all you do is write none in all the sections. If you have not notified them that you are non-resident you will possibly still be okay for free NHS but if they have somehow deduced that you are non-resident then you will need to tell them that you are now resident to get back into the free NHS (your national insurance will come up as non-resident in their computer system). It is also a good idea to close all offshore bank accs before you return as this avoids paying any income tax and take any capital gains.