Non Residents?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Non Residents?

Originally Posted by britishbull
It is also a good idea to close all offshore bank accs .
Does this also include Foreign Bank Accounts? Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, even though you left the UK I think you are still supposed to send them the yearly tax return, with fines if you don't.
Not true.

If you have not notified them that you are non-resident you will possibly still be okay for free NHS
Also not true.

It is also a good idea to close all offshore bank accs before you return as this avoids paying any income tax and take any capital gains.
Generally not a good idea.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Well, even though you left the UK I think you are still supposed to send them the yearly tax return, with fines if you don't. Even if all you do is write none in all the sections. If you have not notified them that you are non-resident you will possibly still be okay for free NHS but if they have somehow deduced that you are non-resident then you will need to tell them that you are now resident to get back into the free NHS (your national insurance will come up as non-resident in their computer system). It is also a good idea to close all offshore bank accs before you return as this avoids paying any income tax and take any capital gains.
We haven't filled in any tax forms for the UK, but then we don't have any money coming in from the UK. My Dad does fill in a form, because he has a pension coming from the UK. Its nearly all blank, he just states that he pays tax in Cyprus. Obviously, he then has to fill in a Cypriot tax form too.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
We haven't filled in any tax forms for the UK, but then we don't have any money coming in from the UK. My Dad does fill in a form, because he has a pension coming from the UK. Its nearly all blank, he just states that he pays tax in Cyprus. Obviously, he then has to fill in a Cypriot tax form too.
See Jeremy's (JAJ) post above
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
See Jeremy's (JAJ) post above
Thanks Pollyana,

My Dad queries his tax form every year, tells them that he's resident in another country and paying their tax, but they still send the forms. Pain in the next really, he leaves all blank, signs and returns it!

Ah well!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Pollyana,

My Dad queries his tax form every year, tells them that he's resident in another country and paying their tax, but they still send the forms. Pain in the next really, he leaves all blank, signs and returns it!

Ah well!
HMRC accepts this - as Cyprus has a double taxation agreement with UK. ((Most ex-Colonies do ))
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djoerk
HMRC accepts this - as Cyprus has a double taxation agreement with UK. ((Most ex-Colonies do ))
djoerk,

This is what he's been told, by Cyprus and the UK, they still send out the forms every year, he phones them every year and tells them this, they say "this will be the last year Sir". They still keep coming!

Ah well, my parents are returning to the UK in the next few years, so he'll eventually have to fill one it.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

djoerk,

This is what he's been told, by Cyprus and the UK, they still send out the forms every year, he phones them every year and tells them this, they say "this will be the last year Sir". They still keep coming!
Well.... let us not discuss HMRC and its destruction of the Rain Forests!!

I assume all will be OK for your parents to get back into the NHS for Doctors, Hospitals etc - immediately?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djoerk
Well.... let us not discuss HMRC and its destruction of the Rain Forests!!

I assume all will be OK for your parents to get back into the NHS for Doctors, Hospitals etc - immediately?
As long as they can prove that they will be in the UK permanently, then yes its fine.

Same for us when we go back next year. If we can prove that we're back for good, then all should be fine.

A doctors letter, rental or mortgage agreement, school letter, all of these are accepted.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:08 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as they can prove that they will be in the UK permanently, then yes its fine.

Same for us when we go back next year. If we can prove that we're back for good, then all should be fine.

A doctors letter, rental or mortgage agreement, school letter, all of these are accepted.
Grateful if you can tell me where you found the information that expats returning to the UK, who can prove they are returning permanently, can get immediate NHS health cover? I have a pal in Canada, there for over thirty years, now wanting to return to UK but will of course need NHS. Thanks for any info you can give me. I have been unable to get any specific info myself although I have tried several sites.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annabella
Grateful if you can tell me where you found the information that expats returning to the UK, who can prove they are returning permanently, can get immediate NHS health cover? I have a pal in Canada, there for over thirty years, now wanting to return to UK but will of course need NHS. Thanks for any info you can give me. I have been unable to get any specific info myself although I have tried several sites.
Sure try these links....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...heUK/index.htm

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/

http://www.goworkabroad.co.uk/consid...to-the-uk.html

You will need to fill in a P86, this will clarify your resdiency status, you can download this from the Customs & Excise web site.

Two things that you should do straightaway is to register with a Doctor and a Dentist and also to register to vote with your local council.

There is some good information on the sites above. Hope you find it useful.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure try these links....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...heUK/index.htm

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/

http://www.goworkabroad.co.uk/consid...to-the-uk.html

You will need to fill in a P86, this will clarify your resdiency status, you can download this from the Customs & Excise web site.

Two things that you should do straightaway is to register with a Doctor and a Dentist and also to register to vote with your local council.

There is some good information on the sites above. Hope you find it useful.
Thanks so much and I wish you the best of luck with your own move!
a