NO FREE NHS TREATMENT

Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NO FREE NHS TREATMENT

Originally Posted by surly
That may well be true, do you have any evidence fo substantiate this, because it's easy to make assertions without real knowledge.

I suppose since Medicare pays less per patient, it makes sense to keep a balance, but I doubt, at least in large metropolitan areas like the SF Bay Area anyone has trouble finding a doctor.

I would add I'm all for a universal health care plan. Realistically a NHS type plan isn't going to happen.

I'm self employed I don't have company Health plan, or a pension, or a 401k, or payed vacation. So I'm in a worse position than almost everyone else here.
The best I can hope for is to die before I reach retirement.
Yes I'm a nurse who did home visits and had to deal directly with the doctors, I would run in their offices on the way past (patients tend to live close to the doctor they choose) to drop off updates and make requests/plan changes etc. They all had the not accepting new medicare/MediCal patient signs at one time or another. Yet that same sign was up when we visited our local Doc wth our new BC/BS cover and got right in no problem, including a visit with him that week.
Money talks, and you know the rest.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965

It's easy and it cost less than $10. I have to do it myself, no one else will work for the wages DH pays me.
I can't do it for medical reasons.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:38 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco to Offer Care for Uninsured Adults

After a phased start-up, the city plans to bring private medical networks into the program next year, expanding the choice of doctors. Until November, enrollment will be limited to those living below the federal poverty line ($10,210 for a single person; $20,650 for a family of four). Then it will open to any resident who has been uninsured for at least 90 days, regardless of income or immigration status.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/14/us/14health.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA0SRIF8G.DTL
Interesting info - especially for someone like myself with pre-existing and limitations/restrictions on my employment due to DH's needs. Anyone know (off the top of their heads) if any other states offer similar programs please shout 'em out
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Interesting info - especially for someone like myself with pre-existing and limitations/restrictions on my employment due to DH's needs. Anyone know (off the top of their heads) if any other states offer similar programs please shout 'em out
"Healthy San Francisco is not health insurance, and has
limited services and places you can visit for medical care.
If you have health insurance, do not drop it."

It's a lot lot better than nothing, though.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think your inventing problems that don't exist. There are plenty of Doctors that accept Medicare. Or is SF Bay Area unique.
Where are you getting your information?
Plenty of doctors to accept it from current patients...not so many accepting it from new patients...and folks who couldn't afford medical insurance when they were working are unlikely to have a doctor were they.

Also, it was hard enough signing up for a doctor with good medical insurance, both here where I live and where we lived up in Maine.

Also, I was getting info from a mate who's a nurse working one of the local hospices.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Mass says you must have medical insurance or face a fine at tax time, if work offers it, you have to accept it unless you are able to get insurance through a spouse.

Otherwise, there's a state group policy for those who are unable to get insurance, it's bare minimal cover and still not that cheap....but if your unemployed and have no assets the state will pay it, but to meet their threshold you've basically got to be on the verge of being homeless.

It all sounded great on paper, but it's crap in reality.