No double dip recession.

Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No double dip recession.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The double dip recession was a guaranteed event once the Tories got in with their austerity agenda. You can't slash public spending in the middle of a recession. It's just plain stupid.
I agree. This is the time to repair/build infrastructure (roads, bridges, sewers, etc). That works needs to be done anyway so why not have tax-paying construction workers do it now rather than pay them to do nothing?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

Originally Posted by izzi81
Originally I was in favour of a bit of austerity - spending seemed to have gone mad under Labour - but I've now changed my mind. I work in the public sector (forensics) and the budget slashing is just insane... too many decisions being made for money reasons only. No one I know at work feels like spending any money on anything, and if everyone feels like that then I don't know how the economy is supposed to start working again
Yes, and many of the things that are being cut now will cost a lot of money to reintroduce later. If borrowing doesn't stick to plan and growth remains weak, the UK could lose its AAA pretty quickly too. As others mentioned, austerity is the reverse of what should be done in a recession and it's self-evident from the sluggishness of the "recovery", slower than any recovery in living memory.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Originally I was in favour of a bit of austerity - spending seemed to have gone mad under Labour - but I've now changed my mind. I work in the public sector (forensics) and the budget slashing is just insane... too many decisions being made for money reasons only. No one I know at work feels like spending any money on anything, and if everyone feels like that then I don't know how the economy is supposed to start working again
Yeah, on paper the "austerity" measures seem to be the sensible thing however it doesn't allow for people and how they feel & act during such a time. Confidence is still low in many areas in the UK. The deficit and debt needs to be dealt with but with people fearing for their jobs and how they will make ends meet, and businesses with little confidence too then a downward spiral is likely to happen.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I know quite a few people with good incomes and disposable income, but they have cut spending to the bone because they have no faith in the government's ability to 'manage' the situation (or anything else for that matter), and are concerned about job security and the cost of living. They won't start spending again until they feel a lot more confident.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:22 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very surprise to see the uk slip back into recession.I thought most of the voters had confidence in Cameron's leadership.It would seem austerity was the wrong method to take.But really macro econ 101 does state when the private sector is contracting, it then is left up to the public sector to stimulate growth.I guess someone didn't get the memo.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:18 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17008208

Some on the Australian section of this forum may not like this news but there you go. It's strange how some actually want their old home to suffer almost as if they can gloat and feel vindicated in their decision. Sad really.
Chris,

would you like to revisit this thread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17836624
The UK economy has returned to recession, after shrinking by 0.2% in the first three months of 2012.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...e-dip-eurozone

David Cameron blames UK double-dip recession on eurozone

etc etc etc

You are also wrong about "some on the Australian forum" - the only difference is some people can accept reality.