No choice in moving back

Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice
Default Re: No choice in moving back

[QUOTE=Kath]
Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul

Hi there, we used to live near Poole but found the traffic / congestion had got so much worse over the 2-3 years we were away, we decided to move out.

House prices can be expensive out in the country, especially the villages north of Wimborne, villages in North Dorset are cheaper and further West towards Blandford, Dorchester you seem to get more for your money, see www.teamprop.co.uk for local agents. Our house is small, we have given up more living space for the lifestyle, although we have a good sized garden.

We're out in North Dorset and do end up travelling more but the roads are less congested, also at first you think there's nothing here, shops etc. but after chatting to the locals you find plenty of locally produced food; I now get my eggs from the village farm, a local butcher delivers to me and I get veg boxes from another farm. Why should Tesco get all my business!!

I love the community here, the schools are excellent, we're still only 40 minutes to Poole, Salisbury, London in less than 2 hours, ferries to France from Poole and Weymouth, so after Perth everything seems on the doorstep!

Thanks for that website - I've just spent the last hour browsing and getting excited! Have another 6-9 months yet though. Prices don't seem as bad as on rightmove - perhaps the team agents are more realistic.

Cheers

Amanda
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Amanda&Paul]
Originally Posted by Kath

Thanks for that website - I've just spent the last hour browsing and getting excited! Have another 6-9 months yet though. Prices don't seem as bad as on rightmove - perhaps the team agents are more realistic.

Cheers

Amanda
I think most estate agents would like to see more realistic prices it's just convincing the sellers! You can spot houses that are on for too much money as they're still for sale 6 months on, buyers have had enough as there's too much debt around.

Are you waiting for citizenship? I think it's worth holding on for, we've got no regrets and are proud to be Australian, we'll be back regularly for visits and probably will live there again in the future - good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

[QUOTE=Kath]

I think most estate agents would like to see more realistic prices it's just convincing the sellers! You can spot houses that are on for too much money as they're still for sale 6 months on, buyers have had enough as there's too much debt around.

Are you waiting for citizenship? I think it's worth holding on for, we've got no regrets and are proud to be Australian, we'll be back regularly for visits and probably will live there again in the future - good luck!
Yes we're waiting for citizenship. We've been here for 18 months now and have really enjoyed ourselves. We always said we would be away for 2 years and haven't changed our minds yet. We both think that we'll come back later on perhaps if the kids decide to move out here or maybe for retirement. We are hoping to hang onto the place we've bought here and buy something small when we get back (very small at UK prices!!! - cosy eh!). :scared:
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:31 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Many thanks for all your replies and advice.
Can't get on here very much at the mo, what with one thing and another. Those of you who remember, I was pregnant when we arrived in Oz. My gorgeous second son is now 21 weeks old and taking up all my time that Joseph and Eleanor leave me with.
Kids - who would have them??
We have been over and over whether or not to go home and we think it is the best decision for Joseph. I appreciate what Ian was saying, but I was really committed to staying for the two years before making up my mind, even though I let it be known that I was really homesick. I have kept myself busy, made loads of friends, mainly the kindy mums, have joined the Parent's Association at school, become involved with fundraising etc. You can't say I haven't tried.
It's the silly things that I miss about the UK as well, apart from family and friends.
Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all your support. And I'll try and keep you posted.
Oh! and the Oz system really swings into action when something like this happens. Can't fault it at all. Just hope Joe gets the same kind of treatment in UK.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:28 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Amanda&Paul]
Originally Posted by Kath

Yes we're waiting for citizenship. We've been here for 18 months now and have really enjoyed ourselves. We always said we would be away for 2 years and haven't changed our minds yet. We both think that we'll come back later on perhaps if the kids decide to move out here or maybe for retirement. We are hoping to hang onto the place we've bought here and buy something small when we get back (very small at UK prices!!! - cosy eh!). :scared:
I wish it were me that had done 18 months already!! I'm nearly 6 months down the line, and if there was a road leading back "home" - I'd have walked it by now. I've suffered unimaginable homesickness and emotional trauma these past few months, it's getting better, but I can never call this home - and I never want to. We have just paid $10,000 out of our savings for flights home for Christmas, if we stayed on here - we would NEVER be able to do that every year. This country would bleed us dry - eventually.

I take my hat off to all those who come for 2 years (or less) do their bit
and go back happy - because its what I'm aspiring to!!!!! Its good to know it can be done!!!

Staying here longterm for us is not an option - financially, educationally, emotionally, careerwise or travelwise!!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=kendodd]

I wish it were me that had done 18 months already!! I'm nearly 6 months down the line, and if there was a road leading back "home" - I'd have walked it by now. I've suffered unimaginable homesickness and emotional trauma these past few months, it's getting better, but I can never call this home - and I never want to. We have just paid $10,000 out of our savings for flights home for Christmas, if we stayed on here - we would NEVER be able to do that every year. This country would bleed us dry - eventually.

I take my hat off to all those who come for 2 years (or less) do their bit
and go back happy - because its what I'm aspiring to!!!!! Its good to know it can be done!!!

Staying here longterm for us is not an option - financially, educationally, emotionally, careerwise or travelwise!!!
Hiya

I feel for you - we've been there - still are some days but are feeling better and better as time goes on. Probably because we are forgetting some of the things we miss, getting used to things here and also know that we haven't got that long to go. Have you got anyone visiting you? Where are you in Oz? Questions Quesions!

I would love to go back for a visit but have really used all the savings plus more we have allowed for this trip. We haven't got much left and want to hang onto as much as possible for our return. I have to say that we have never been so poor!! I would do it again though for the experience of living in another country and seeing that the grass isn't always greener just different.