Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

No attendance allowance for expats. Care home fees ditto?

Wikiposts

No attendance allowance for expats. Care home fees ditto?

Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:54 am
Just helpin' my Bro

BaguioMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No attendance allowance for expats. Care home fees ditto?

I’ve just repatriated my 79 year old brother from the Philippines after a mild stroke left him unable to walk or use his right hand. He sold his house there so is all “in cash” and is self-funding in a residential (not nursing) care home near us. Despite his having paid full NI contributions here and getting a full state pension I have just discovered that he is not entitled to claim Attendance Allowance as he has been out of the country for more than two years. He has to remain here for 104 weeks before he can claim…if he lives that long!!

He has enough savings and pension to fund the care home for a year or so before he hits the £23,500 level at which the local authority theoretically steps in (a bit!) financially. Does anyone know if local authority funding (up to their specified limit) also excludes expats who have been out of the country for several years? I have searched the internet to no avail and don’t want to contact the local DSS just yet as it may never be needed.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:55 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No attendance allowance for expats. Care home fees ditto?

I don't know the answer, but suggest you contact Age UK, who probably can help:http://www.ageuk.org.uk
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BaguioMan
I have searched the internet to no avail and don’t want to contact the local DSS just yet as it may never be needed.
I think you need to contact them anyway and ask just as a general question. They are the ones who know the present rules.

Last edited by formula; Apr 29th 2014 at 2:27 am.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:32 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Your local council social services department will also help, and since they administer the rules, will know.