Nice places to live in the North of England

Nice places to live in the North of England

Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:15 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nice places to live in the North of England

Hi,

My OH and I are looking at various options including going back to the UK. I'm from London so no idea what's up North, except cheaper homes and friendly people from what I've heard. Any tips on decent areas, clean, green, pretty towns, not too far from a city where it's possible to find work.

Thank you

Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice places to live in the North of England

Whats your budget, what do you do?

Naturally there are nice parts near the big cities...look for where the overpaid footy players end up living..... Not necessarily cheap areas though.

I grew up in Caldy on the Wirral...now home to half a dozen or more rich young (and not so young) men. It was near perfect to grow up there. Great schools (if you werent thick...11+ in place), good local facilities, Liverpool a short train ride away for city stuff, North Wales close by for outdoors stuff, Big sandy beach nearby.

Couldnt afford to move there now though...too bloody expensive.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Depends how north you want to go, we are from Mid Cheshire and there are some great areas around here:

- Commutable to Manchester,Liverpool, Chester & Birmingham (depending on where you live)

- North Wales coast & Mountains on your doorstep

- Reasonable house prices

- Loads of farms & green open spaces. Will see cows etc. on commute.

- Delamere Forest 15 min drive- loads of walks etc.

- Trendy little villages with decent pubs and coffee shops

- Very good schools

Strangely, very near the previous post of the Wirral. Cripes, I miss it more than I know.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink

Naturally there are nice parts near the big cities...look for where the overpaid footy players end up living..... Not necessarily cheap areas though.

I grew up in Caldy on the Wirral...now home to half a dozen or more rich young (and not so young) men. It was near perfect to grow up there. Great schools (if you werent thick...11+ in place), good local facilities, Liverpool a short train ride away for city stuff, North Wales close by for outdoors stuff, Big sandy beach nearby.

Have to agree with you, we come from near Chester and can't afford to buy there due to the house prices soaring and afraid to say I think the house prices have gone up due to a lot of new people moving into the area, not that I blame them it's just the likes of us have to look at houses in areas not so nice just to get on the housing market, and I just feel why should we.

Just my little moan, not getting at anyone.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

I grew up in Meols on the Wirral, and also lived in Hoylake, the neighbouring town. The area of the Wirral from Meols down the Dee estuary to Heswall is a nice place to live, plus some areas of South Wirral, but expensive. However, there are certain parts of Birkenhead and Wallasey which are still quite cheap, but not really places you'd care to live in.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

I'm originally from Lancashire but I'm afraid I've gone over to the dark side. I love Yorkshire and woud happily live anywhere there.

Of course that's not my number one choice. No 1 is Keswick in the Lake District but I don't think there are any really big places nearby.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I vote for Chester and North Wales.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Sheffield but moved to Cheshire when I got married. Lived in and around Chester for many years before moving to the US. I have just purchased a house in Cheshire...I love the countryside and the proximity to Wales, Lake District, Pennines etc just 30 mins away from Manchester Airport...the Trafford Centre, Manchester, Liverpool.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue1
Have to agree with you, we come from near Chester and can't afford to buy there due to the house prices soaring and afraid to say I think the house prices have gone up due to a lot of new people moving into the area, not that I blame them it's just the likes of us have to look at houses in areas not so nice just to get on the housing market, and I just feel why should we.

Just my little moan, not getting at anyone.
I thought the house market had stalled..and prices ARE going down? except for major cities of course ie)London...and to get a first time mortgage, unless a good d/p can be put down, then that was harder than finding the actually house?
unless i've been reading the wrong info.

good luck to the poster...sounds like a nice area to move too.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:20 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

A mention of the Delamere Forest. I used to live in Cuddington and work in Helsby - fantastic places both and as you say get to Chester, Snowdonia, Manchester and all the rest of it...

Wish I'd never left sometimes.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:34 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Cumbria, great place to live and still affordable
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dewdrop
I thought the house market had stalled..and prices ARE going down? except for major cities of course ie)London...and to get a first time mortgage, unless a good d/p can be put down, then that was harder than finding the actually house?
unless i've been reading the wrong info.

good luck to the poster...sounds like a nice area to move too.
Hope so, been looking a bit, will be looking more in the new year, so fingers crossed, it is like everyone is saying a great place to live!!!
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Naturally there are nice parts near the big cities...
Agreed, I am from Leeds and I find that for people there to commute 10 miles is a big deal. However, after living in Canada, this is nothing and I find that there are many nice areas to live within this commuting distance.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:12 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point

helpful feedback, will be checking out all places mentioned online. OH works in IT and we have a good downpayment for a house, How about Shropshire? Is that midlands...nice??
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:25 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Shropshire, Welsh Borders, Gloucester, they are all nice areas, but getting further from the big cities. NW where everyone has been talking about has Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Harrogate, York, Chester, all within a couple of hours of each other, Chester to York is probably 3 hours tops. Of these two I would pick York - bigger city and really pretty. Crap weather, but you can't have everything - well not in the UK where weather is concerned anyway! In the UK I lived in Manchester, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Midlands(B/ham) Berkshire and finally Sussex. Unfortunately, it is Sussex I would go back to, but it is probably the most expensive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.