British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Nice place to live possibly Salisbury (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/nice-place-live-possibly-salisbury-928332/)

Mike Gas Oct 6th 2019 7:50 am

Nice place to live possibly Salisbury

Hi
Just moving back to UK after 14 years in Canada have found employment now looking for ideal place to live. Job is buissiness development manager for a company with outlets in the following places.
Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Bournemouth, Lymington, Salisbury, Blandford and Gillingham.
So can live anywhere with reasonable access tending to think Salisbury any one live there able to offer advice will rent for first six months or more.
Of the above places can rule out Reading lived there for 25 years, Basingstoke also not for us, want to be near to amenities 3 miles or so, so not to remote.

philat98 Oct 6th 2019 8:54 am

Re: Nice place to live possibly Salisbury

You might look at Poole. It has good transport links, a mildish climate and a nice coastline.

BristolUK Oct 6th 2019 9:03 pm

Don't pick up any bottles of perfume.

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 7th 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12744779)
Don't pick up any bottles of perfume.

:lol:

Ringwood might be a good option.

mikelincs Oct 7th 2019 2:49 pm

Ringwood isn't a huge place, and doesn't have a rail station, if needed, has a pretty good bus service though.

scrubbedexpat142 Oct 7th 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12745064)
Ringwood isn't a huge place, and doesn't have a rail station, if needed, has a pretty good bus service though.

I was thinking more of the OP servicing his "patch", assuming, perhaps wrongly that he would be travelling by car. I agree Poole is quite nice & thought about it once but the extra fiddle (distance / traffic) put me off - & there are some lovely villages in the Ringwood area.

Novocastrian Oct 7th 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Gas (Post 12744614)
Hi
Just moving back to UK after 14 years in Canada have found employment now looking for ideal place to live. Job is buissiness development manager for a company with outlets in the following places.
Reading, Basingstoke, Winchester, Bournemouth, Lymington, Salisbury, Blandford and Gillingham.
So can live anywhere with reasonable access tending to think Salisbury any one live there able to offer advice will rent for first six months or more.
Of the above places can rule out Reading lived there for 25 years, Basingstoke also not for us, want to be near to amenities 3 miles or so, so not to remote.

Of those, I'd look at Winchester before Salisbury with Bournemouth getting the Bronze. (disclaimer: I've lived in none of those listed).

shelley748 Oct 8th 2019 6:58 pm

I just came back from 2 weeks in Poole visiting my elderly father- here are my observations- traffic is an absolute nightmare- takes too long to get anywhere- parking anywhere seems to be a premium and side roads are completely chocka. Noise level compared to where we live in Canada is awful- cars going past ALL the time of night and day and sirens from cops/ambulances non stop. If you can move out of the urban to semi urban i would encourage it. We visited Devon where my sister in law lives and it was much better. although from what I gather many people are now moving into Devon so that may not be as nice for very long.

Dad tells me it takes him 3 weeks to get a doctors appointment- crime is rampant- (he gets notified by cops via email as he is a member of neighbourhood watch).

Good Luck!

philat98 Oct 8th 2019 7:58 pm

In the Halfax's best British places the only ones that appear on the OPs list are Winchester and Basingstoke.
Regarding Poole I know someone who moved there 10 years ago and they are very happy. Probably it depends on which residential area you select. Since the OP lived in Reading for 25 years he will be no doubt hardened to traffic jams and crime.

Mike Gas Oct 30th 2019 11:05 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions we rented in Hungerford in the end, little more traveling for work from here but bit more familiar to us.