Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Nice Parts to Live in Scotland

Wikiposts

Nice Parts to Live in Scotland

Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nice Parts to Live in Scotland

I thought I'd start a similar thread to "Location, Location, Location" but devoted solely to Scotland. I know many parts of the Edinburgh area are lovely but what other parts of Scotland are good to live in?
Old Jul 24th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Parts to Live in Scotland

My sister lives in Fife (not too far from Edinburgh). She really likes it there (she moved there about 8 years ago from another area of Scotland). Lots of lovely coastal walks, little fishing villages, etc. Also, the weather isn't quite as damp as other parts of Scotland (with it being on the East coast). My niece lives in the Highlands of Scotland in a little village called Nethy Bridge (not too far from Inverness). The Scottish Highlands are beautiful. I was there last Fall and stayed in Aviemore. A lot depends on what you want out of life, can afford, etc. I believe house prices are less expensive than in parts of England - not sure about rental properties, but I am sure you could check on-line. I think the pace of life is slower in Scotland than the rest of the UK. I always feel very relaxed when I visit there.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

+ 1 for Fife, from experience visiting on business, and knowing someone who grew up there. From my business there, Fife Council seem to have their act together re: promoting physical activity and sport.

Also, Stirling is nice.

Some people like Edinburgh but I am a bit of a reverse snob re: Edinburgh - it's a bit posh (and housing is expensive there, I think).

Glasgow has some lovely areas in the suburbs, and nice rural villages within 10 miles or so.

Generally, west is warmer than east, but west is also wetter than east. Generally, the further north you go the colder it gets.

I've read good comments on BE about the Borders, and have friends that love to visit there for mini-vacations.

Personally, I find the weather in Scotland gets me down, it's too cold and too wet for too many months of the year, compared to further south.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:26 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Borders is a very nice area. Might be a bit too remote for some, but the upside is less traffic. I love the Highlands too. Dunroving is right about the climate. The east gets more sun, less rain but can be a bit colder. All of which are fine with me. I am currently having a wee sit down in my B&B as we have been visiting Orkney over the last few days. It is a lovely place and and I can't wait to come back and explore the other islands off the mainland. I hope to post a more detailed update about this trip, along with photos, when I have a bit more time.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

When I went back briefly I went to Elgin. It's a lovely town. Not too big and not too small. If I were to move back that's were I would live. They have Asda, Tesco, and lots of other wee shops and if you live in Elgin there is bus station and train station , you don't need a car..
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:02 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
When I went back briefly I went to Elgin. It's a lovely town. Not too big and not too small. If I were to move back that's were I would live. They have Asda, Tesco, and lots of other wee shops and if you live in Elgin there is bus station and train station , you don't need a car..
+1. I visited there in 2008 and really enjoyed my stay. Loved visiting the woolen mill. It is close to Inverness too.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What's Dundee like? I like the idea of the east coast .. Railway access, easy to get to Edinburgh, and sunshine and sandy beaches. (A bit like a northward extension to Northumberland maybe?). Is it Dundee that has the Andrew Carnegie heritage, libraries parks etc.? I've never been up there but saw some nice reasonably priced property on Rightmove.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Buckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant future

We'll move to Stirling, it's a really nice area with easy access to Edinburgh.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:22 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
Wow, that's a long way up there, isn't it?

There's no doubting the beauty of many areas of Scotland, but the remoteness and cold of somewhere like the Hebrides, Shetlands, or Elgin would put me off. I know some people who live there (Hebrides and Shetlands), though, and they love it. I'd love to take a holiday to one or other (or both!) some time.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Clyde Estuary. Arran, Cumbrae, Bute. For landlubbers - Largs. In some places we still have affordable housing - unlike other parts of Her Majesty's Territories !
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:48 am
Just Joined

MaureenKB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
What's Dundee like? I like the idea of the east coast .. Railway access, easy to get to Edinburgh, and sunshine and sandy beaches. (A bit like a northward extension to Northumberland maybe?). Is it Dundee that has the Andrew Carnegie heritage, libraries parks etc.? I've never been up there but saw some nice reasonably priced property on Rightmove.
That's Dunfermline that has the Andrew Carnegie connections. It was his birthplace. The house he was born in is now a museum. Not too far from Dundee across the Tay Bridge.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:18 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
My sister lives in Fife (not too far from Edinburgh). She really likes it there (she moved there about 8 years ago from another area of Scotland). Lots of lovely coastal walks, little fishing villages, etc. Also, the weather isn't quite as damp as other parts of Scotland (with it being on the East coast). My niece lives in the Highlands of Scotland in a little village called Nethy Bridge (not too far from Inverness). The Scottish Highlands are beautiful. I was there last Fall and stayed in Aviemore. A lot depends on what you want out of life, can afford, etc. I believe house prices are less expensive than in parts of England - not sure about rental properties, but I am sure you could check on-line. I think the pace of life is slower in Scotland than the rest of the UK. I always feel very relaxed when I visit there.
Nethy Bridge looks amazing, its a shame we dont live for hundreds of years so we can live in all these wonderful places.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Edinburgh area but I also love Stirlingshire - up and around Callander. It's beautiful there. I am not sure quite how far it is from Edinburgh but so long as it is within 2 hours, it is ok.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law lives in Dunblane, and has for 30+ years. It's a really lovely area and someplace I've always felt had a very homey feeling about it.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:45 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I love the Edinburgh area but I also love Stirlingshire - up and around Callander. It's beautiful there. I am not sure quite how far it is from Edinburgh but so long as it is within 2 hours, it is ok.
Always makes me think of Dr. Finlay's Casebook, I think that was filmed in Callander (the outdoor bits).

Back in the mid 1960s I went to Cultybraggan Camp with the school CCF a couple of times, I believe it is close to Comrie and Crieff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.