British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Be nice to OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/nice-oz-414636/)

BadgeIsBack Dec 22nd 2006 10:23 am

Re: Be nice to OZ

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe, all I want though is a basic admin position in the area I love - emergency management.

I'd like an active, physical basic position in emergency management. :mad:
Shame about the money - although the yearly increments aren't bad.

The private sector would pay more P, and you'd be treated as an adult but then you have to 'forgo' the subject matter. It's amazing what you have achieved already - getting into ES is quite hard.

northernbird Dec 22nd 2006 10:36 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
So Merry Happy and Happy Merry to all....and I hope 2007 is a better year and that you live the life you want, wherever that may be:beer:

Same to you, have a good one :)

Hels Bells Dec 22nd 2006 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
It hasn't felt like xmas for me for along time. I think a lot of that is to do with what we associate xmas to be with: family and friends, climate, familiar surroundings etc But aside from all of that, I see some traditional signs of xmas here but don't feel the 'xmas spirit' if you know what I mean.

I think this is just synonymous with one of the greatest social problems australia faces: a general lack of community spirit/belonging that stems from a lack of inclusivity of others. On the surface oz claims to welcome and include all new comers to their country, but in reality this does not pan out that way at all.

I spoke to a UK guy of Indian descent recently who has lived in oz for a decade and works in a govt department. He put his finger on it when he said to me " Back in London (where he was from) if we came across each other we'd prob say hi to each other and end up having a chat over a cuppa or a pint but here we'd at most likely just give a polite smile or hello as we passed on by "

People badmouth the UK, but by and large those who live there have learned how to get on with others and understand the value in friendship building on a real level. It's part of the British spirit/psyche, a part I hope never gets lost.

I am really curious....I am sure you have probably said, but I cant really be bothered hunting back through your posts, when did you live in the UK? Where and for how long exactly??

phoenixinoz Dec 22nd 2006 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
Same to you, have a good one :)

Aye...cheers lass:)

kiwi_child Dec 22nd 2006 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
I am really curious....I am sure you have probably said, but I cant really be bothered hunting back through your posts, when did you live in the UK? Where and for how long exactly??

I lived in London (Bayswater, Lancaster Gate area mainly) for around a year and then spent a couple months in a place called Neath in Sth Wales. This was back in 88-89.

Hels Bells Dec 22nd 2006 9:06 pm

I lived in London (Bayswater, Lancaster Gate area mainly) for around a year and then spent a couple months in a place called Neath in Sth Wales. This was back in 88-89.

Thought so.....

kiwi_child Dec 23rd 2006 3:46 am

Thought so.....

I'm not sure what your comment implies, but I'd be interested to know

chance to be Dec 23rd 2006 10:50 am

Thought so.....

i dont think we can judge the validity of peoples comments on the basis of how long they have lived somewhere/how long ago or what area.
What you see is what you interpret. You might think because it was some time ago, that makes the description less valid as the UK has changed since then. Other people may disagree. Some may say its actually improoved since '89. Its horses for courses - but your opinion carries equal weight to everyone elses as its yours, and rightly so.

Hels Bells Dec 23rd 2006 11:44 am

Originally Posted by chance to be

i dont think we can judge the validity of peoples comments on the basis of how long they have lived somewhere/how long ago or what area.
What you see is what you interpret. You might think because it was some time ago, that makes the description less valid as the UK has changed since then. Other people may disagree. Some may say its actually improoved since '89. Its horses for courses - but your opinion carries equal weight to everyone elses as its yours, and rightly so.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions and making a few assumptions!! :rolleyes:

northernbird Dec 23rd 2006 11:47 am

Thought so.....

You are Australian, you should know that London IS the UK ;)

Hels Bells Dec 23rd 2006 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are Australian, you should know that London IS the UK ;)

Yeah, and??? ;) :D

framac Dec 23rd 2006 12:02 pm

It hasn't felt like xmas for me for along time. I think a lot of that is to do with what we associate xmas to be with: family and friends, climate, familiar surroundings etc But aside from all of that, I see some traditional signs of xmas here but don't feel the 'xmas spirit' if you know what I mean.

I think this is just synonymous with one of the greatest social problems australia faces: a general lack of community spirit/belonging that stems from a lack of inclusivity of others. On the surface oz claims to welcome and include all new comers to their country, but in reality this does not pan out that way at all.

I spoke to a UK guy of Indian descent recently who has lived in oz for a decade and works in a govt department. He put his finger on it when he said to me " Back in London (where he was from) if we came across each other we'd prob say hi to each other and end up having a chat over a cuppa or a pint but here we'd at most likely just give a polite smile or hello as we passed on by "

People badmouth the UK, but by and large those who live there have learned how to get on with others and understand the value in friendship building on a real level. It's part of the British spirit/psyche, a part I hope never gets lost.

Never understood this British spirit thing. I think thats nonsense. Found Aussies to be same as Brits. Some good and some bad. My oh is struggling and the Aussies have been as welcoming as anybody I've ever met. Invited for xmas dinner, etc and were even offered the neighbours house to relax in as he is in Brissie for xmas.(plenty more examples) I think its an individual feeling. If Arkon hates it, thats his perogative without getting shouted down. Only he can see it through his eyes and I wouldn't wish his predicament on anyone. I hope it all works out well for him. Btw, I also hate beaches but I like Aus. :)

moneypenny20 Dec 23rd 2006 12:16 pm

But in the context of helping people move to a country, and arguing the pros and cons of a national attitude, how can one year in (for the most part) one very small area, 20 years ago be valid? I have a pretty good memory about my life then, but would not like to insult anyone by suggesting that how I lived 20 years ago has any value to what someone wants now.

chance to be Dec 23rd 2006 12:17 pm

Nothing like jumping to conclusions and making a few assumptions!! :rolleyes:

sorry if its the wrong conclusion...

i just cant see for what other reason you would first say,
"I am really curious....I am sure you have probably said, but I cant really be bothered hunting back through your posts, when did you live in the UK? Where and for how long exactly?? "

and then when given a reply, come back with..

"Thought so"

to me, that implies you want to comment about where shes lived/when and for how long for :confused:
and by the "thought so" comment, not a flattering one.

If it was for some other reason, please enlighten, and apologies in advance

Hels Bells Dec 23rd 2006 12:20 pm

If it was for some other reason, please enlighten, and apologies in advance

Whats the point? You have just illustrated that no matter what someone says, people will jump to their own conclusions.

Think what you like......