Default Re: Be nice to OZ

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I think they meant Belgium.
French for "Land of dog turds"
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:28 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by denver
Arkon, I think there are some fantastic things about the UK. I think it is being ruined by poor government...
One word - "Howard". A continent so sentitive to climate change, with some of the worst environmental policy in the developed world (after USA). When Australia is choosing between going without water or using fossil fuels to desalinate sea water, maybe he will realise why the world's leading scientists are losing sleep.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:44 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
French for "Land of dog turds"
"Come to Belgium, hosting battles since 1347"
Old Jan 1st 2007, 9:30 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Is this really called for?

Denver has been perfectly civil and has explained her/himself well and then gets personally attacked for it.

You seem an intelligent person so how about you act accordingly
I'll act accordingly when Denver loses her myopic view of a 'perfect Australia'. In her parallel universe there is no crime in Australia, everyone is happy and friendly (I guess this includes those 400 rioters on NYE in Victoria?) and everthing in the UK is just dirth. Oh yes and everything is cheaper right?

When she starts to achieve a maturity that holds a more balanced view, then I'll take her posts seriously.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:15 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carryon
As an intellegent chap you should know the phrase your looking for is DAMP SQUIB! Not SQUID..........
Xmas was the same here too, one day ran into the next, tedious, and just extra mess to deal with!
Thanks for telling me what I meant to say but in this case, SQUID was what I meant.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:19 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l thought you said you liked Canberra and might plan to live there once the Alpaca far was sold.
Don't mistake 'Like' with 'Want'.

In theory we might, but as time goes on here I like the place less and less. Also by the time the boy is 4 I want to be back home for his schooling. Canberra was only a possibility if the farm sold before then. Not looking like it will any time soon. Personally I'd get the next plane out if I could. I find nothing about Oz better than what I can find if I had the whole of Europe to play in, which is what I'd get if I went home.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why we have these thread of Australia v UK. At the end of the day, both have equal social problems, negatives and positives. It depends which suits a person to whether they are happy or unhappy. It is also ironic that Australians are viewed as uncouth yobs in nearby countries ie, Bali, Indonesia, Thailand etc etc as well as British are also view as the same in many countries. ie France, Greece, blah blah. The Brits aren't liked that much by foreigners who have to deal with an influx of us either, so in many respects we have quite a bit in common with some of people of the countries we chose to live in. Many of the comments I read on here about the Australians, Americans, blah blah, is exactly what I've heard other people from other countries say about us the Brits. There isn't many who like our country people either, so its' quite ironic about some bitching about the Aussies and Aussies bitching about us....
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I don't know why we have these thread of Australia v UK. At the end of the day, both have equal social problems, negatives and positives. It depends which suits a person to whether they are happy or unhappy. It is also ironic that Australians are viewed as uncouth yobs in nearby countries ie, Bali, Indonesia, Thailand etc etc as well as British are also view as the same in many countries. ie France, Greece, blah blah. The Brits aren't liked that much by foreigners who have to deal with an influx of us either, so in many respects we have quite a bit in common with some of people of the countries we chose to live in. Many of the comments I read on here about the Australians, Americans, blah blah, is exactly what I've heard other people from other countries say about us the Brits. There isn't many who like our country people either, so its' quite ironic about some bitching about the Aussies and Aussies bitching about us....
I have yet to meet an Australian that I have not got along with. They do have a tendancy to be a bit in your face about how great Australia is and how crap England is, but once you make it clear, in the correct manner, that you think they are talking out of their backside, they are usually fine.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:34 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
I'll act accordingly when Denver loses her myopic view of a 'perfect Australia'. In her parallel universe there is no crime in Australia, everyone is happy and friendly (I guess this includes those 400 rioters on NYE in Victoria?) and everthing in the UK is just dirth. Oh yes and everything is cheaper right?

When she starts to achieve a maturity that holds a more balanced view, then I'll take her posts seriously.
No, I don't think Australia is perfect, at all, far from it. Crime occurs. Corruption occurs. Some Australians are rude/ignorant/idiots. There are boy racers. There are bushfires. There are some great things about the UK ie history, countryside. But I think Australia is being managed well, the people are confident and happy (on thw whole) and I think The UK is going down a slippery slope (mainly due to poor social policies) and some UK people on this forum are in denial about it.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think Australia is perfect, at all, far from it. Crime occurs. Corruption occurs. Some Australians are rude/ignorant/idiots. There are boy racers. There are bushfires. There are some great things about the UK ie history, countryside. But I think Australia is being managed well, the people are confident and happy (on thw whole) and I think The UK is going down a slippery slope (mainly due to poor social policies) and some UK people on this forum are in denial about it.
Up late aren't we?? What slippery slope is the UK on then dear Denver? How long have you been in England?? How long since you lived in Australia?? Do tell us the basis for all your theories?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:40 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
One word - "Howard". A continent so sentitive to climate change, with some of the worst environmental policy in the developed world (after USA). When Australia is choosing between going without water or using fossil fuels to desalinate sea water, maybe he will realise why the world's leading scientists are losing sleep.
Not exactly Howards fault that global warming seems to becoming a reality. But, I do agree, that Australia needs to take the situation more seriously, particularly with our lack of fresh water and decreasing rainfall. Ironic that Britain kicked off this whole situation with the Industrial revolution. It is China and India we have to worry about now, with their massive populations. Howard recently came out with his thoughts that Oz will have to get most of its energy from nuclear plants. Scary, but unless we all start living in a pre-industrialised world, will probraby have to happen.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:48 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Not exactly Howards fault that global warming seems to becoming a reality. But, I do agree, that Australia needs to take the situation more seriously, particularly with our lack of fresh water and decreasing rainfall. Ironic that Britain kicked off this whole situation with the Industrial revolution. It is China and India we have to worry about now, with their massive populations. Howard recently came out with his thoughts that Oz will have to get most of its energy from nuclear plants. Scary, but unless we all start living in a pre-industrialised world, will probraby have to happen.
So you think it all stems from the British industrial revolution? Which without it you would almost certainly not now been of Australian descent and almost certainly unable to fly around the world to now be living in a country half a world away from where you were born.

While your at it, why not blame the cavemen, afterall they did invent fire which started it all off.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
Up late aren't we?? What slippery slope is the UK on then dear Denver? How long have you been in England?? How long since you lived in Australia?? Do tell us the basis for all your theories?
Yes, up late, cant sleep. Been living in London since August 2005. Grew up in Duncraig in Perth and am returning home in Feb this year. I was doing the two year working visa thing. I base my theories on what I observe around me, the fact that I teach in schools in this country and the fact that I read a couple of British newspapers each day. The newspapers vary, but I usually read The Times or The Observer, sometimes the Guardian or the Daily Mail. Just to prove I am not completely biased I think UK newspapers are awesome and I will miss sitting in a cafe and reading them after school. Since I have moved here, I have developed an intense dislike for the Blair government ( I thought he was doing a good job when I was in Oz, but TBH did not reseach the situation) I was last here in 1998 and had a great time - I was backpacking through Europe. I really dislike the schools here, even in outer London, the kids are rude and undisciplined, basically I just get through the day (though obviously make an effort with the kids as there are always nice ones too) The kids are harder and more grown up here. I found Aussie kids to be happier and healthier in general, and there are only a few tough ones in each year, rather than several in each class. The kids in Oz just seem to have more respect for their elders and each other. I really enjoyed teaching in WA and I was not at 'cushy schools'. I do not like the Human Rights Act (how convenient for Cherie Blair, a human rights lawyer!) I believe in teaching people their responsibilties first. The kids are full of their rights now, and no I did not see any evidence of this in OZ, but have been told this several times over here. Many english teachers just accept the poor behaviour as normal, or seem unwilling to help me out.

The level of anti-social behaviour seems higher in london ( I accept this may not be the case elsewhere in the UK, I have done a bit of travelling through the countryside.) One school I was at had the police turn up at the end of the day to supervise the kids going home. Never heard of this happening in Australia. It was a nightmare getting on the bus to go home from that school.

In the UK, yobbish behaviour has gotten so bad that a new political party has been formed called MUM's Army, which aims to stamp out this behaviour.

The UK just seems so crowded, and why is there such poor border control here.? Madness.

I could go on, but it is time for bed now.

Last edited by denver; Jan 2nd 2007 at 2:07 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by arkon
So you think it all stems from the British industrial revolution? Which without it you would almost certainly not now been of Australian descent and almost certainly unable to fly around the world to now be living in a country half a world away from where you were born.

While your at it, why not blame the cavemen, afterall they did invent fire which started it all off.
Just pointing out the fact that people really only began to pollute their environments in a serious fashion after the industrial revolution. How is this not correct? I realise that all industrialised nations are to blame, however.

Last edited by denver; Jan 2nd 2007 at 2:10 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Where does it stem from then?
I think you will find it stems from humanities desire to always push for more/better/bigger/faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.