Be nice to OZ

Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be nice to OZ

australia nice? yep.

better than uk? Absolutely not no chance not ever.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Given the rubbish you've posted on here about supposed crime levels in the UK and Aus, all of which you make up off the top of your head based on your crummy existance in some poor part of London doing a job no-one else wants to do, why do you think anyone's going to pay attention to this?

Tell you what, get a copy of the London Time Out, and a copy of the Perth equivalent (probably written on a Post-It note) , have a read and then come back on here and tell us which city has more to offer.
well said!
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:05 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
But in all serious ness i think australia has some great countryside and beaches and i love driving here once out of the cities ,but life in general is boring boring boring .

Hi there, I live in London and was wondering if you could list all the exciting things you do all day in the UK? I have been to the museums, London eye, been shopping in the cool places, been to a few pricey bars so I could pay millions of pounds for one drink and party with the big timers. Now what? I keep hearing Perth is boring, but I keep wondering what people who say this did all day in the UK? I have two months till I get back to boring Oz and I want to have an exciting life in the UK before I go home to Perth and my retiree lifestyle. All suggestions welcome.
Although you didn't really need to post another post to prove just what a classic Australian is really like to those of us that know, this one clinches it, even the most hardy Anti-Anti-Oz must be able to see that what we have been saying about you all is true. You are actually living in probably the most vibrant city on earth and are struggling to find something exciting to do, and to cap it all off you actually think Perth or another Australian city has more to offer.

I'll give you a tip as there is no need to make a list, just walk to the end of your street and have a look round, if your looking for an exciting Oz pub, billabong or boxing kangaroos then yes you will be disapointed, I'm sure you will find something if you open your eyes whilst walking (provided you arn't one of the 80% of Australians with retina damage)
Old Dec 30th 2006, 9:15 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I have two months till I get back to boring Oz and I want to have an exciting life in the UK before I go home to Perth and my retiree lifestyle. All suggestions welcome.
I was going to suggest you catch an earlier flight rather than suffer any longer but then I realised that would mean you coming back to Australia, where I live - so (perhaps selfishly) I will instead suggest you try looking beyond London (and that's coming from a previous Londoner) and make the most of your last two months.

Although being the wrong time of the year you won't be able to go to the Notting Hill Carnival (and I remember how much you praised that event) I'm sure there are plenty of things happening for you to enjoy.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:16 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I was going to suggest you catch an earlier flight rather than suffer any longer but then I realised that would mean you coming back to Australia, where I live - so (perhaps selfishly) I will instead suggest you try looking beyond London (and that's coming from a previous Londoner) and make the most of your last two months.

Although being the wrong time of the year you won't be able to go to the Notting Hill Carnival (and I remember how much you praised that event) I'm sure there are plenty of things happening for you to enjoy.
I hear the tower of London is good, and if she ask's nicely they might show her what they used to do with undesirables and use here as an ornament.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:28 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

I supply teach in the UK, believe me, the UK beats Aussie kids hands down when it comes to gang culture, CHAV behaviour. You cant get British teachers to supply teach. They are all international. Why are so many UK adults in denial about this?
If you really are a teacher, could you per chance do something about your composition? This sort of standard may be acceptable in dingoland but we expect a rather different standard in the UK.

Better still come back home, you'll be doing both countries a favour.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

The people, the children, are the happiest and most friendly I have come across in all my travels. I think that speaks mountains.
Does it speak mountains? We've no idea which other countries you've visited.

I remember you recently complaining that although you've come as far as the UK, you haven't yet been to continental Europe at all. Where else have you lived? Oh well, at least perhaps us Brits aren't the only miserable buggers on the planet.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I supply teach in the UK, believe me, the UK beats Aussie kids hands down when it comes to gang culture, CHAV behaviour. You cant get British teachers to supply teach. They are all international. Why are so many UK adults in denial about this?
OK, you seem to forget that London is not 'the UK'. (You're not Australian by any chance, are you? )

There are good areas, bad areas, good schools, bad schools, areas with gangs, areas without gangs..... Where in the UK have you taught, apart from London?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Er, you most certainly CAN get UK teachers to teach supply - the problem is the govt cutting corners and allowing schools to employ 'cover supervisors' at a fraction of the cost! Meaning that it is harder now to make a living out of picking up odd bits of supply here and there.
The majority of supply teachers that I have met have been British.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 8:24 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I hear the tower of London is good, and if she ask's nicely they might show her what they used to do with undesirables and use here as an ornament.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:08 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
It hasn't felt like xmas for me for along time. I think a lot of that is to do with what we associate xmas to be with: family and friends, climate, familiar surroundings etc But aside from all of that, I see some traditional signs of xmas here but don't feel the 'xmas spirit' if you know what I mean.

I think this is just synonymous with one of the greatest social problems australia faces: a general lack of community spirit/belonging that stems from a lack of inclusivity of others. On the surface oz claims to welcome and include all new comers to their country, but in reality this does not pan out that way at all.

I spoke to a UK guy of Indian descent recently who has lived in oz for a decade and works in a govt department. He put his finger on it when he said to me " Back in London (where he was from) if we came across each other we'd prob say hi to each other and end up having a chat over a cuppa or a pint but here we'd at most likely just give a polite smile or hello as we passed on by "

People badmouth the UK, but by and large those who live there have learned how to get on with others and understand the value in friendship building on a real level. It's part of the British spirit/psyche, a part I hope never gets lost.
Isnt it funny how the perspectives of people can be so different? I have lived in London for 18 months and have not made any english friends.... in fact they are quite unfriendly. I supply teach at different schools and often no-one bothers to speak to me at all. It is hard to break into social circles anywhere, and to be honest some of the posters on this forum seem quite negative and I think it is very easy to give out negative vibes, which leads many people to back off. i know english people in perth with a wide variety of friends, they have been the types to join clubs and go out and have a good time, rather than moan about how Oz is not utopia etc.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:38 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

I have visited about 35 countries, most of western and eastern europe, and have lived in Canada, and spent 3 months in the US. I am now living in the UK. There have been really positive aspects of each country I have visited, but travelling has also enabled me to appreciate how great Perth is (and also the rest of Oz) I certainly don't think it is utopia, and there are things I would like to be different. Ever since my english ex-boyfriend, who I met in canada, seemed to have an agenda of denigrating Australia at every opportunity, I have been intrigued by some english people's attitude of complete negativity towards Australia. The vitriol is amazing at times, and I don't sense it towards many other countries. Other countries are accepted for what they are. My opinion is it is a sense of envy.

The UK has an awesome sense of history and tradition, but something is going severely wrong. Importing huge amounts of people to a small island, promoting rights before responsibility, tolerating CHAV like behaviour etc The comprehensive school system is a disgrace. Denigrating its Christian heritage in favour of multicultralism. The people just seem glum (in London anyway)

Anyhow, I hope people find happiness. Its a shame that people cant appreciate Australia while they are there. It is a beautiful place.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by esperanza
Er, you most certainly CAN get UK teachers to teach supply - the problem is the govt cutting corners and allowing schools to employ 'cover supervisors' at a fraction of the cost! Meaning that it is harder now to make a living out of picking up odd bits of supply here and there.
The majority of supply teachers that I have met have been British.
Well, must be a case of living in a paralell universe again. I have met a few ensglish supply teachers, but it is well known that teaching agencies target Oz, NZ and SA to get teachers over because there are not enough english teachers to go around and few will consider supply. We fill the gaps. some are from Nigeria, other African countries, India etc You dont need to do recruit teachers from overseas for Australia. The kids I teach in many schools are out of control. They often run around like maniacs. Yes I teach in London, mainly the South West, Clapham, Wimledon, Teddington etc. I get work every day, often I get two calls every morning, despite many schools now employing cover supervisors. I often complain to Heads of depts about some students behaviour only to be told it is normal and to be expected. Agencies will often say it is incredibly tough in many english state schools because of the lack of discipline.Many kids will not even acknowledge your presence or speak to you when I ask them something. The kids do not just play up in my classes either, I often walk past other classrooms and the kids are being rotten to their usual teacher. They push and shove each other in the corridors, turn up to classes ten minutes late. The kids know their so called rights and know how to manipluate the system. Once when I told a kid off for bullying another student, he told me me he was going to report me to the headteacher for physical abuse. i called his bluff but it does make you think twice about trying to tackle poor behaviour. I am sorry, but teachers from Antipodean countries say teaching over here is an entirely different ballgame. You may say london is not the Uk, well I am sorry it is. I know there are many lovely kids, and i have met some great ones, but denying there is a problem is a recipe for a disaster.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by FPM
If you really are a teacher, could you per chance do something about your composition? This sort of standard may be acceptable in dingoland but we expect a rather different standard in the UK.

Better still come back home, you'll be doing both countries a favour.
Can you be specific about what is wrong with my composition? I can do Shakespearean language if you want as this country seems obsessed by him.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Well, must be a case of living in a paralell universe again. I have met a few ensglish supply teachers, but it is well known that teaching agencies target Oz, NZ and SA to get teachers over because there are not enough english teachers to go around and few will consider supply. We fill the gaps. some are from Nigeria, other African countries, India etc You dont need to do recruit teachers from overseas for Australia. The kids I teach in many schools are out of control. They often run around like maniacs. Yes I teach in London, mainly the South West, Clapham, Wimledon, Teddington etc. I get work every day, often I get two calls every morning, despite many schools now employing cover supervisors. I often complain to Heads of depts about some students behaviour only to be told it is normal and to be expected. Agencies will often say it is incredibly tough in many english state schools because of the lack of discipline.Many kids will not even acknowledge your presence or speak to you when I ask them something. The kids do not just play up in my classes either, I often walk past other classrooms and the kids are being rotten to their usual teacher. They push and shove each other in the corridors, turn up to classes ten minutes late. The kids know their so called rights and know how to manipluate the system. Once when I told a kid off for bullying another student, he told me me he was going to report me to the headteacher for physical abuse. i called his bluff but it does make you think twice about trying to tackle poor behaviour. I am sorry, but teachers from Antipodean countries say teaching over here is an entirely different ballgame. You may say london is not the Uk, well I am sorry it is. I know there are many lovely kids, and i have met some great ones, but denying there is a problem is a recipe for a disaster.
It is true regarding discipline and the kids knowing their rights but in some of the state schools here there is no real difference.The next town done from me is asking for a special school to put distruptive kids in.Tackling poor behaviour is a nightmare with all the rights of the child.It has all got a bit ott but I include Australia in this too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.