Be nice to OZ

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be nice to OZ

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But in the context of helping people move to a country, and arguing the pros and cons of a national attitude, how can one year in (for the most part) one very small area, 20 years ago be valid? I have a pretty good memory about my life then, but would not like to insult anyone by suggesting that how I lived 20 years ago has any value to what someone wants now.
The point is, its valid to her. If you have been in Oz for less than a year and post that you love it there - you wouldnt expect people to say "but how can you say that, youve only been there a year?"
Thats in effect what you are implying.
She isnt insulting anyone by suggesting that what she experienced 20yrs ago has any value. This is MBTUK forum - people going back the the Uk want to hear positive UK views.
I went to Oz, for the first time 20yrs ago and loved every minute of it. if i post that on the Oz forum, I dont think anyone would say, "that was too long ago to be valid..."

Hope not , anyway
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
The point is, its valid to her. If you have been in Oz for less than a year and post that you love it there - you wouldnt expect people to say "but how can you say that, youve only been there a year?"
Thats in effect what you are implying.
She isnt insulting anyone by suggesting that what she experienced 20yrs ago has any value. This is MBTUK forum - people going back the the Uk want to hear positive UK views.
I went to Oz, for the first time 20yrs ago and loved every minute of it. if i post that on the Oz forum, I dont think anyone would say, "that was too long ago to be valid..."

Hope not , anyway
I don't think that is what I'm saying. Had she lived in the UK for a year in the last five years, I believe her views would be totally relevant. But 20 years ago? I was in Perth 22 years ago and hated it. Every now and then I mention that I disliked it intently but would never assume that I have anything valid to say about the place because my experience of living there was a lifetime ago. And if someone told me that my experience of the Gold Coast after a year of living here is wrong because they were here 20 years ago and it was totally different - do I accept that they have a valid point - I don't think I would, would you?
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Anyone want to say something nice about OZ for a change, poor OZ seems to be getting a big bashing down here in this forum.
The chocolate coated prunes from Richies are rather nice.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 1:53 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

I don't think that is what I'm saying. Had she lived in the UK for a year in the last five years, I believe her views would be totally relevant. But 20 years ago? I was in Perth 22 years ago and hated it. Every now and then I mention that I disliked it intently but would never assume that I have anything valid to say about the place because my experience of living there was a lifetime ago. And if someone told me that my experience of the Gold Coast after a year of living here is wrong because they were here 20 years ago and it was totally different - do I accept that they have a valid point - I don't think I would, would you?
i was living i dorset 20 years ago and i was there 9 months ago and it was exactly how i remembered it .Sure the gold coast and perth may have changed but only in the fact that they have more faceless suburbs and as far as CBD perth is concerned its still a shiney ,faceless shithole it was 16 years ago when i got here .So to say somebodys views is irrelevent after 5 years is hogwash .
I believe places in the uk change at a slower pace and memories of such places are thus more valid .I met people who i havent seen for years and they where still the same except a little greyer and that is the difference between the uk and places such as the states and aussie .
I think people change more than places to be honest .
The only change i could see was the increasing invasion of americanism [gang culture ] into british youth ,which also is true of australian youth too .

Last edited by sassenach; Dec 23rd 2006 at 2:22 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that is what I'm saying. Had she lived in the UK for a year in the last five years, I believe her views would be totally relevant. But 20 years ago?
The thing is, I just dont get the time frame. I know a lot of people, who, in their gap years etc went to Australia, loved it and as adults returned. For some, the "old magic" was still there, for others, (no longer carefree single students etc) they couldnt adapt and disliked it.
The point is, it is often what we did years ago (for example visitng Oz 20yrs ago) that sets the wheels in motion for a return there. I know I loved it so much first time round, it was a long term dream to return - i knew i would return some day because of the positive experience i had first time round. There are some things that will change, some that never will within 20yrs (size of houses, city/rural split/beaches/weather/general landscape/pub culture/bbq culture etc etc) I still dont believe that if you post on the Oz forum, that you visited Oz as a student, fell in love with it so would really like to try living there again etc, you would get the response "views 20years old arent relevant"
At this point, moving out of Perth (possibly to Uk) is her dream based on past good experiences.
Isnt that what a lot of us have done but the other way around?
If she gets there and its everything she hoped for/remembered and more, we can wish her well. If it isnt, she might want to use this forum for support. Either way many things she experienced 20yrs ago will still be there, and some people 20 years down the line, still feel the same way today about the place.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 2:26 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

The thing is, I just dont get the time frame. I know a lot of people, who, in their gap years etc went to Australia, loved it and as adults returned. For some, the "old magic" was still there, for others, (no longer carefree single students etc) they couldnt adapt and disliked it.
The point is, it is often what we did years ago (for example visitng Oz 20yrs ago) that sets the wheels in motion for a return there. I know I loved it so much first time round, it was a long term dream to return - i knew i would return some day because of the positive experience i had first time round. There are some things that will change, some that never will within 20yrs (size of houses, city/rural split/beaches/weather/general landscape/pub culture/bbq culture etc etc) I still dont believe that if you post on the Oz forum, that you visited Oz as a student, fell in love with it so would really like to try living there again etc, you would get the response "views 20years old arent relevant"
At this point, moving out of Perth (possibly to Uk) is her dream based on past good experiences.
If she gets there and its everything she hoped for/remembered and more, we can wish her well. If it isnt, she might want to use this forum for support. Either way many things she experienced 20yrs ago will still be there, and some people 20 years down the line, still feel the same way today about the place.
Good post
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:33 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

You have seen this more objectively than I think I could have, and in so doing have have expressed it far better than I could have. Excellent stuff. Karma sent

Have a lovely xmas and new year. All the best for 2007
Old Dec 24th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
i was living i dorset 20 years ago and i was there 9 months ago and it was exactly how i remembered it .Sure the gold coast and perth may have changed but only in the fact that they have more faceless suburbs and as far as CBD perth is concerned its still a shiney ,faceless shithole it was 16 years ago when i got here .So to say somebodys views is irrelevent after 5 years is hogwash .
I believe places in the uk change at a slower pace and memories of such places are thus more valid .I met people who i havent seen for years and they where still the same except a little greyer and that is the difference between the uk and places such as the states and aussie .
The only change i could see was the increasing invasion of americanism [gang culture ] into british youth ,which also is true of australian youth too .
I don't think the French have the saying "the more things change, the more things stay the same" for no reason do they! Things can change superficially, but underneath, so much is the same. 20 years in no time at all in many respects, not in the grand scheme of things.

I went to rural France in Sept, first visit after having lived there 16 years ago. It felt no different to how it did in 1990. Of course it's busier, the infrastructure has changed in places, but it's still the same old place that I remember; the same attitudes; the same habits.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 1:05 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Anyone want to say something nice about OZ for a change, poor OZ seems to be getting a big bashing down here in this forum.
The people, the children, are the happiest and most friendly I have come across in all my travels. I think that speaks mountains.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 1:10 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sassenach
I supply teach in the UK, believe me, the UK beats Aussie kids hands down when it comes to gang culture, CHAV behaviour. You cant get British teachers to supply teach. They are all international. Why are so many UK adults in denial about this?
Old Dec 26th 2006, 1:21 pm
Banned

But in all serious ness i think australia has some great countryside and beaches and i love driving here once out of the cities ,but life in general is boring boring boring .

Hi there, I live in London and was wondering if you could list all the exciting things you do all day in the UK? I have been to the museums, London eye, been shopping in the cool places, been to a few pricey bars so I could pay millions of pounds for one drink and party with the big timers. Now what? I keep hearing Perth is boring, but I keep wondering what people who say this did all day in the UK? I have two months till I get back to boring Oz and I want to have an exciting life in the UK before I go home to Perth and my retiree lifestyle. All suggestions welcome.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by denver
I supply teach in the UK, believe me, the UK beats Aussie kids hands down when it comes to gang culture, CHAV behaviour. You cant get British teachers to supply teach. They are all international. Why are so many UK adults in denial about this?
i cant debate the issue of which country has the worst gang culture as i dont have any information on it and id be surprised if you have either ,but all i see around me here is gangs of kids all playing up to being whiggers and thinking they are Emenem and Fiddy ,wearing either blue or red .
I think the gang culture is everywhere in what ever form .
My son was deeply into gang culture here and was aligned with a load of serbs,who culturally operate by the blood rule but to cut a long story short he ended up in the head unit with severe injuries ,now my son is no pussycat and can take care of himself but agaist 4 guys he had no chance .
His so called buddies [serbs]k new who did this and really wanted to slice these guys up good and proper [they have done it in the past],after a good talking to by me he decided to remove himself from the gang ,which wasnt as easy as we thought and for many many months we had nothing but abuse and cars running up and down the street at all hours in the morning because they wanted to get hold of my lad and give him a bashing for withdrawing from the gang .
I to this day dont believe this wouldf have happened in dorset as i seen liitle evidence of that when i was over last year ,but in birmingham i must admit i did see evidence of gang culture .The american gang style culture has a lot to answer for and i am deeply against it .
Old Dec 26th 2006, 2:16 pm
Banned

But in all serious ness i think australia has some great countryside and beaches and i love driving here once out of the cities ,but life in general is boring boring boring .

Hi there, I live in London and was wondering if you could list all the exciting things you do all day in the UK? I have been to the museums, London eye, been shopping in the cool places, been to a few pricey bars so I could pay millions of pounds for one drink and party with the big timers. Now what? I keep hearing Perth is boring, but I keep wondering what people who say this did all day in the UK? I have two months till I get back to boring Oz and I want to have an exciting life in the UK before I go home to Perth and my retiree lifestyle. All suggestions welcome.
no suggestions from me ,if you find london boring and tedious ,im afraid there is no hope for you and if you are coming to perth then bring a big rope and look for the nearest tree because after you have done mundaring ,freo ,mandurah ,two rocks ,yanchep a dozen time ,one starts to scratch ones head and wonder what to do next then all of a sudden you get a brainwave and might go on a little drive to albany ,pemberton and once youve done them a couple of times whats next .They do say ''Tired of London Tired of Life ''.I believe perth would be perfect for you ,its got heaps of people who are very lethargic .
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:35 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Be nice to OZ

Given the rubbish you've posted on here about supposed crime levels in the UK and Aus, all of which you make up off the top of your head based on your crummy existance in some poor part of London doing a job no-one else wants to do, why do you think anyone's going to pay attention to this?

Originally Posted by denver (AKA yet another moaning Aussie hanging round a British forum because some people here don't think Aus is the best country on earth)
Hi there, I live in London and was wondering if you could list all the exciting things you do all day in the UK? I have been to the museums, London eye, blah blah moan etc.
Tell you what, get a copy of the London Time Out, and a copy of the Perth equivalent (probably written on a Post-It note) , have a read and then come back on here and tell us which city has more to offer.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 7:47 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Given the rubbish you've posted on here about supposed crime levels in the UK and Aus, all of which you make up off the top of your head based on your crummy existance in some poor part of London doing a job no-one else wants to do, why do you think anyone's going to pay attention to this?

Tell you what, get a copy of the London Time Out, and a copy of the Perth equivalent (probably written on a Post-It note) , have a read and then come back on here and tell us which city has more to offer.
Ouch...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.