The nice bits of England

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:54 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default The nice bits of England

Just got back from a trip to the UK and thought I'd share a few pics with you all.

Although we are not packing up in Canada and heading back just yet, we haven't exactly ruled it out long term either. As anywhere, there are pro's and con's for both places, and would like to share some of the very pretty pro's with those of you hoping to be back in the UK one day.

Tarporley High Street, Tarporley, Cheshire.
Conwy Castle
Warwick Castle
Attached Thumbnails The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-003.jpg   The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-023.jpg   The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-058.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:59 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The nice bits of England

Can't resist a few more

Ariel view from Warwick castle
Peckforton Castle
The beach at Llandudno
Attached Thumbnails The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-068.jpg   The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-016.jpg   The nice bits of England-england-trip-2007-019.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely! I love Warwick

Glad you enjoyed your trip home.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:29 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

My Mother was a Maid at Warwick Castle in the '30's.(7 days a week, 15 hours a day)

We gave thought to spending some years in the UK but cost of living is too high, so we are content to visit.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tarporley...I know it well. In fact I looked at a house for sale in January just off that road...behind the Rising Sun. My bessie friend lives in Tarporley...Luddington Hill, Cotebrook.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Warwick Castle too, in June this year, so here are some pics of mine.
Two from the main tower, and one from the ground looking up at the main tower.

I think I had better weather than you
Attached Thumbnails The nice bits of England-php22aed5pm.jpg   The nice bits of England-phpidxdffpm.jpg   The nice bits of England-phpjl4xnzpm.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe I lived in London for over 30 years and never bothered to visit any of these places. Typical Londoner!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:54 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely pics.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:01 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
My Mother was a Maid at Warwick Castle in the '30's.(7 days a week, 15 hours a day)

We gave thought to spending some years in the UK but cost of living is too high, so we are content to visit.
Funny old world isn't it? We moved away and found the cost of living in relation to our wages too high so returned to the UK as we found it much more reasonable here. I guess it all depends on individual circumstances
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
I can't believe I lived in London for over 30 years and never bothered to visit any of these places. Typical Londoner!
Same here I'm making a point of doing just that when I get back.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:46 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

LousieD. not sure where you went, but I find what One $ CDN buys, one pound sterling buys, and wages in Canada tend to be higher than the U.K. ADJUSTED, e.g. Nurse top end makes about $76,000CDN and U.K Nurse makes about 40,000 pounds, but the Nurse in Canada can buy twice as much.

A regular car would cost about $CDN 30K, 12k Pounds.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish a nurse top end earns £40k, Thats more like managers.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the pictures of Warwick. I'm moving there from the US in September to go to university, so it was lovely to see the pics. My old life was in Surrey, and we never went to the Warwick area -- can't wait!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:55 pm

LousieD. not sure where you went, but I find what One $ CDN buys, one pound sterling buys, and wages in Canada tend to be higher than the U.K. ADJUSTED, e.g. Nurse top end makes about $76,000CDN and U.K Nurse makes about 40,000 pounds, but the Nurse in Canada can buy twice as much.

A regular car would cost about $CDN 30K, 12k Pounds.
We went to Oz. Hubby (brickie) earns average 30K here, but there it was more like 15K. With house/food prices not much different converted it's easy to see why we are better off here.

Before we returned I put together a spreadsheet to calculate all income and expenditure for the year before we left UK and the year we were in Oz. The results were surprising even to me - for every month we stayed in Oz we were actually losing well over a thousand pounds.

I've known many other tradesmen return due to the poor wages there in comparison to the cost of living.

Like I said previously, I definately think it all depends on each individuals circumstances as to where they are better off.

I also far prefer earning the pound and taking it overseas to spend
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it does come down to individual circumstances but I live in one of the "cheaper" parts of Canada and still spend around the same each month for a very similar lifestyle as I had back in the UK.

A lot of Canadians seem to be just scrapping by and there appears to be more poverty in this part of Canada at least than there is in the UK

Jonathan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.