Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NI Number and UK Driving Licence

NI Number and UK Driving Licence

Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NI Number and UK Driving Licence

The holder has left UK since his/her NI Number and UK Driving Licence were issued in 1999. If he/she is moving back to UK.....

(a) can the paper driving licence get replaced by the new plastic card one?

(b) is the NI Number still valid?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NI Number and UK Driving Licence

Your NI is yours for life, and can be looked up when you get back. If you have a paper license like mine, mine expires when I'm 70 or something, I can get it changed to a plastic one when I get home, the address will still be the same for me.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Your NI is yours for life, and can be looked up when you get back. If you have a paper license like mine, mine expires when I'm 70 or something, I can get it changed to a plastic one when I get home, the address will still be the same for me.
Thanks for your immediate reply.

My paper driving license also expires when I am 70. Just wonder whether the plastic one needs to get renewed every 10 years.

I also guess the DVLA will keep the paper one in order to issue you a plastic one. If yes, does it mean there is no more paper indicates you license expires when you are 70?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 4:27 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inggris

My paper driving license also expires when I am 70. Just wonder whether the plastic one needs to get renewed every 10 years.

I also guess the DVLA will keep the paper one in order to issue you a plastic one. If yes, does it mean there is no more paper indicates you license expires when you are 70?
I was told on my last visit back in 2009 that I didn't have to get my license updated, but I think I will when we move. I drove using my paper one and the bank used it for ID too.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

hi you will have to get the photo, renewed, had mine done about five years ago think it is every ten years now that they redo photos
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:25 am
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Any idea what happens when the photocard has expired but the paper part is still valid? Going back for a holiday soon and may get my photo part updated and change the address to my parents house. At least then I will have a form of ID to get the other stuff sorted eg. bank account!
Anyone done this before or had any dramas?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottydog357
Any idea what happens when the photocard has expired but the paper part is still valid? Going back for a holiday soon and may get my photo part updated and change the address to my parents house. At least then I will have a form of ID to get the other stuff sorted eg. bank account!
Anyone done this before or had any dramas?
Didn't you need to surrender the paper one to DVLA in order to get the photocard one previously?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

scottydog357 is on a distinguished road

Didn't you need to surrender the paper one to DVLA in order to get the photocard one previously?
No, definately go a 2 part licence (well called that back in early 2000's). Photo licence expired 2011, so about 1 year out, but paper licence has expiry in around another 30 years time.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

when I came back I had to get a 10 year photo licence as you have to keep your current address on it (fineable). My paper licence had my last UK address from many years ago.

As an enticement for me to swap, they supplied my first photolicence for free.

My paper one ran out when I will be 70, sadly the new one runs out many years prior, but it is only something like £10
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't 'swap' your paper one for a plastic one, you need both parts. Lots of times the plastic part is not valid without the paper part, but the paper part is always valid without the plastic part*, as the plastic part is not needed by law (yet). I haven't done the plastic part yet and have no issue with buying cars, insurance, jobs needing a licence etc.

* the only exception I have noted, but needed so far seems to be the hiring of vehicles, that seems next to impossible with the plastic part.

(sorry, just saw Scottydog said more or less the same)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I always understood the current photocard driving license to be a 2 part 'document' neither is valid without the other?

In practice I only carry the plastic bit but if was called to present I would expect to show both.
( I know for work when we take D/Lic as ID most lenders expect to see both parts)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It's a stupid system... like having a two part passport. Never understood it really.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
I always understood the current photocard driving license to be a 2 part 'document' neither is valid without the other?

In practice I only carry the plastic bit but if was called to present I would expect to show both.
( I know for work when we take D/Lic as ID most lenders expect to see both parts)
#

Well now in one sense 'no' and the other could be 'yes'. If you've only ever had a paper licence, it is currently 100% valid. I am not sure where the law stands one the issue of having a photo part and letting that lapse.

Ironically, the only photo ID I have with me on a regular basis (in my wallet) is my Oz DL and everyone seems to accept that (oh and my cycle racing licence which was good enough for library)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's a stupid system... like having a two part passport. Never understood it really.
It's a transition phase I reckon. In a few years time it will compulsory to have both, then they'll do away with paper. But the paper licence is very entrenched in the UK way of life and having it valid until 70, beats the money grabbing Oz system of yearly renewal (or discounted 5 yearly) hands down.

What I always found odd in Oz was how they made such a song and dance about 'No ID cards' in the late 80s, and then let the photo licence in without a whimper
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

mrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nicemrcibubur is just really nice

Be extremely careful what you tell DVLA when renewing your photocard ID when it expires and how you do it otherwise they may refuse to renew it if you are aware you are out of the Uk for more than 185 days and may even ask you to take a medical with your GP! Now their compromise is to issue a D737 Certificate, a standard Certificate they say for ex pats overseas. do all the processing while back in Uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.