NI Number

Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NI Number

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No, we left in 1987 when he was 4, and although there was a benefit paid called “family allowance” which was paid to the mother of every child it did not require said child to have a NINO. I have a nephew here who was born in 1998 and he didn’t get a NINO until he was 16, and that was when a letter to him arrived in the post with his NINO.
You won't be 'issued' with a card (letter now) of your NINO until just before your 15th birthday but if you have had some prior interaction with the DWP then you will have already been assigned one. Your son may well have been assigned one.

When my son called for his NINO last month all his details were taken including date and place of birth which was why I was surprised that when he turned up for his interview the background check and search for his NINO was done there and then.

I understand the need to appear in person with passport in hand and proof of address to prevent fraud. He had also been told to bring a letter signed by us to say that he was living with us and also for us to provide a utility bill to prove we lived at that address. (He also had to have that letter and utility bill when opening his bank account.)
You won't be given your NINO over the phone. Completing the form may have saved your son the bother of an interview.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You won't be 'issued' with a card (letter now) of your NINO until just before your 15th birthday but if you have had some prior interaction with the DWP then you will have already been assigned one. Your son may well have been assigned one.

You won't be given your NINO over the phone. Completing the form may have saved your son the bother of an interview.
If he had been assigned a NINO before his 5th birthday then neither us or the DWP could find it. He was not even issued a NINO in person, it came by mail 10 days after the interview.

My wife did not know her NINO and she did complete the lost NINO form and received her NINO by post without a telephone call or interview as she did have a work history, having worked up to 1981.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If he had been assigned a NINO before his 5th birthday then neither us or the DWP could find it. He was not even issued a NINO in person, it came by mail 10 days after the interview.

My wife did not know her NINO and she did complete the lost NINO form and received her NINO by post without a telephone call or interview as she did have a work history, having worked up to 1981.
That would make sense if you never claimed Child Benefit for him.