British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   NI Catch Up - ordinarily resident or not (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ni-catch-up-ordinarily-resident-not-941006/)

Lorag13 Oct 7th 2021 3:57 pm

NI Catch Up - ordinarily resident or not

Has anyone completed the CF83 form. If you have been living in Canada for 15 years, have family in the UK, but no home there.....would this be classed as Ordinarily Resident?

SanDiegogirl Oct 7th 2021 7:29 pm

Re: NI Catch Up - ordinarily resident or not

Presume you mean are you 'ordinarily resident in the UK'?

From what you have written (you live in Canada) the answer would be no....

Lorag13 Oct 7th 2021 7:46 pm

yes...thank you.

Twitcher1958 Oct 8th 2021 1:26 pm

I haven’t got time to look at the form again now but we applied last year, I think using that form, to pay Class 2 contributions. We’ve been living in Canada for 11 years but fulfilled the three requirements to pay the lesser cost, and it was accepted.

Lorag13 Oct 8th 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you.

stephend- Mar 10th 2023 6:40 pm

I think you should have answered YES to this as the guidance document NI38 states the following:

When you tell us your ‘ordinarily resident’ status you must base
this on your circumstances at the time you left the UK.

Pollyana Mar 10th 2023 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lorag13 (Post 13059528)
Has anyone completed the CF83 form. If you have been living in Canada for 15 years, have family in the UK, but no home there.....would this be classed as Ordinarily Resident?

15 years outside of the UK, and by the sound of it your life is in Canada - home, job, etc -no way are you ordinarily resident in the UK.

stephend- Mar 10th 2023 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13178840)
15 years outside of the UK, and by the sound of it your life is in Canada - home, job, etc -no way are you ordinarily resident in the UK.

It’s not asking about your status now. It’s asking about your status at the time “you left the UK”.

RICH Mar 11th 2023 12:50 am

Originally Posted by stephend- (Post 13178883)
It’s not asking about your status now. It’s asking about your status at the time “you left the UK”.

Agreed. I am also completing the form and before I read the notes I would have said no. but the questions are worded as if you are completing the form prior to leaving the UK. Some people leaving UK might not have been ordinarily resident beforehand, but it seems it would be international jetsetters!

Slalomdude Mar 12th 2023 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958 (Post 13059807)
I haven’t got time to look at the form again now but we applied last year, I think using that form, to pay Class 2 contributions. We’ve been living in Canada for 11 years but fulfilled the three requirements to pay the lesser cost, and it was accepted.

How long after sending the paperwork did you hear back from them. I sent mine early December and have not heard back yet. I was starting to panic but they have just extended the April deadline to July to allow you to go back several years.

stephend- Mar 12th 2023 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Slalomdude (Post 13179170)
How long after sending the paperwork did you hear back from them. I sent mine early December and have not heard back yet. I was starting to panic but they have just extended the April deadline to July to allow you to go back several years.

I was told, quite emphatically, but the important date is the day that they receive your application not the April 5, or the extended July 31 dates. HMRC told me that provided your application has been received, even if it takes a year to approve it, you will still be allowed to pay the class 2 NICs for contributions from April 2006 up to April 2017.

Slalomdude Mar 12th 2023 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by stephend- (Post 13179176)
I was told, quite emphatically, but the important date is the day that they receive your application not the April 5, or the extended July 31 dates. HMRC told me that provided your application has been received, even if it takes a year to approve it, you will still be allowed to pay the class 2 NICs for contributions from April 2006 up to April 2017.

Thats good news, thanks. I should probably try to call them to make sure they actually received it. I never received any kind of receipt that they did. Hate to assume the Postal service did their job!