Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS treatment to save life...Help!

NHS treatment to save life...Help!

Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS treatment to save life...Help!

Originally Posted by formula
If you get run over by a car, while in the UK as a visitor, you get the ambulance to the hospital and any treatment in A & E for free. If you then need an operation, you have to pay for it and if you need to spend time on a ward, you pay for that too.
That is not true. If you need emergency surgery or immediately necessary treatment it's paid for by the NHS...if not it's at the discretion of the doctors/hospital.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That is not true. If you need emergency surgery or immediately necessary treatment it's paid for by the NHS...if not it's at the discretion of the doctors/hospital.
If press reports are to be believed, it's that discretion that may be about to disappear.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:49 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

And quite right too.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:11 am
Just Joined

crazydrummer is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I'm concerned, all posts after my long inquiring one amount to not much more than a mish-mash of off-the-top-of-the-head guesswork, political polemic, and even time-wasting by individuals who need to up their game. I'll wager a week's pension that no-one will come up with 100% accurate, fact/law - based, watertight answers to my questions ? Actually, my own reading of the CAB advice-page ( which will everyone please read before bothering to post! ) - convinces me that there is NO-ONE in the NHS, the government, or the general population, who could stand up as an ultimate authority able to untangle the mess of potentially contradictory rules on that page.
With regard to the little argument above about whether a visitor to the UK gets free treatment in A&E but not in the wards - i believe that the intention within this part of the regulations was simply this: To save a life, no charge; to maintain or improve a life, charging will kick in. So, renal failure requiring surgery to save a life (free), but transfer to a dialysis machine for maintenance (not free). OF COURSE decisions made by idividual doctors, nurses and administrators will vary from day to day, case to case, especially considering the pressure many of them are under - that's stating the obvious - and i imagine most of them are a bit confused about the law anyway - but my own aim here is to decipher the rules as they are printed and enshrined by passage through parliament; not to merely collect as many anecdotes as possible about who did what to whom in which hospital. If one finds oneself confronted by a negative, obstructive Dr., refusing treatment until a small fortune is revealed in one's bank-account, then i don't think that an argument along the lines of: Well, my friend's aunty got one free !, will carry much weight. Good health to all, and my deepest sympathy to the OP, who went through an awful time.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydrummer
As far as I'm concerned, all posts after my long inquiring one amount to not much more than a mish-mash of off-the-top-of-the-head guesswork, political polemic, and even time-wasting by individuals who need to up their game. I'll wager a week's pension that no-one will come up with 100% accurate, fact/law - based, watertight answers to my questions ? Actually, my own reading of the CAB advice-page ( which will everyone please read before bothering to post! ) - convinces me that there is NO-ONE in the NHS, the government, or the general population, who could stand up as an ultimate authority able to untangle the mess of potentially contradictory rules on that page.
With regard to the little argument above about whether a visitor to the UK gets free treatment in A&E but not in the wards - i believe that the intention within this part of the regulations was simply this: To save a life, no charge; to maintain or improve a life, charging will kick in. So, renal failure requiring surgery to save a life (free), but transfer to a dialysis machine for maintenance (not free). OF COURSE decisions made by idividual doctors, nurses and administrators will vary from day to day, case to case, especially considering the pressure many of them are under - that's stating the obvious - and i imagine most of them are a bit confused about the law anyway - but my own aim here is to decipher the rules as they are printed and enshrined by passage through parliament; not to merely collect as many anecdotes as possible about who did what to whom in which hospital. If one finds oneself confronted by a negative, obstructive Dr., refusing treatment until a small fortune is revealed in one's bank-account, then i don't think that an argument along the lines of: Well, my friend's aunty got one free !, will carry much weight. Good health to all, and my deepest sympathy to the OP, who went through an awful time.
What I posted wasn't 'top-of-the-head guesswork'. A few months ago I wrote to the NHS to get a definite answer as the question about healthcare for visitors has been asked hundreds of times on BE. That was the reply they sent. I have posted the contents of said email several times. There is a Search engine function at the top of the page.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydrummer

You came onto British Expats - a "chatty" forum - full of advice, wit, argument and banter, and a ton of anecdotes. Rarely do any of us offer more than that, or if we do, it is with a proviso.

You want "100% accurate, fact/law - based, watertight answers to my questions ", you need to look elsewhere!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

You came onto British Expats - a "chatty" forum - full of advice, wit, argument and banter, and a ton of anecdotes. Rarely do any of us offer more than that, or if we do, it is with a proviso.

You want "100% accurate, fact/law - based, watertight answers to my questions ", you need to look elsewhere!
Exactly!!

It amazes me the amount of people that come on here wanting advise on tax matters or investments or visa's, as if you would take advise off a load of armchair "experts"

You might listen and digest, but really you need help from real experts if it is a serious matter.