Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS nursing re-registration

NHS nursing re-registration

Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road
Default NHS nursing re-registration

I'm wanting to work back in the uk for a while & have been trying to re-register with the NMC. I am currently registered in Australia. All has been going ok, until finding out I'm required to find a current NMC registered nurse that I've know for a year & have seen in the last 6 months to provide a character & health reference. This is crazy!!! They are asking the same of the Oz board, where I have been working for the past 9 years.....this bit is easy. And relevant. As I'm not in the uk, how can I be expected to fulfill this crazy requirement by the NMC.
Anyone else got around this?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS nursing re-registration

I didn't have to provide those things, are you still working as a nurse in OZ?
If I had proof of 450 hours of work in the three years leading up to applying for my NMC pin back I wouldn't have needed to do the return to nursing course.
I had been out of work looking after our youngest child, so had to do the return to nursing course. Depending how long you've been off as to how many practice hours needed, along with that you have to do the written work and skills classes at the Uni. I'm more than half way finished with my practice hours and the Uni classes are all done. Just left with written work to complete and then back to Uni for a day to have it all checked and approved.
Write and point out their error, not possible to see UK nurse when you are living abroad. Ask what else do they want.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Feb 9th 2016 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry double post

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Feb 9th 2016 at 3:16 pm. Reason: repeat
Old Feb 9th 2016, 4:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curlytops
I'm wanting to work back in the uk for a while & have been trying to re-register with the NMC. I am currently registered in Australia. All has been going ok, until finding out I'm required to find a current NMC registered nurse that I've know for a year & have seen in the last 6 months to provide a character & health reference. This is crazy!!! They are asking the same of the Oz board, where I have been working for the past 9 years.....this bit is easy. And relevant. As I'm not in the uk, how can I be expected to fulfill this crazy requirement by the NMC.
Anyone else got around this?
Are you working in Aus at present? Many nurses working here are still registered in the UK,if only because keeping up registration is easier than trying to re-register. Have an ask around and you may well find someone here who is still NMC registered
Old Feb 9th 2016, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I'm ok on the hours worked in the previous 3 years. I finally got through to a real person in the NMC who, agreed that this requirement is indeed ridiculous and it's been raised before, however their lawyers won't change it.
I was told that I didn't have to actually have met the person within the last year, & it could be someone on FB.........
Thank goodness for Facebook! I now have found someone who'll help me out, thanks.
Strange how someone who I've not seen for 9 years is ok to provide a health & character reference.
Anyway, anyone thinking of re-registering in the UK.... be warned!