Wikiposts

NHS number

Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:59 am
Just Joined

davi78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS number

Hi Everyone,
I have lived in the US for last 24 years and am possibly planing on moving back to the UK. I was a young teenager when I left. I know I had a NHS number but I don't know what it was or where to find out the information I need. I was wondering if anyone could help. This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS number

If you were born or previously lived in England or Wales then go here for more information.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davi78
Hi Everyone,
I have lived in the US for last 24 years and am possibly planing on moving back to the UK. I was a young teenager when I left. I know I had a NHS number but I don't know what it was or where to find out the information I need. I was wondering if anyone could help. This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place.
We came back last August after nine years away and had no problem registering with a GP.

As BritinParis days, the old-style numbers have changed.

What we did was fill out a form at a practice covering our area. They mainly need something with your name and address on. Lease agreement was OK. I think it asked about previous doctor, if you have that info it might be useful.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to come!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to come!
If you were younger than 16 when you left you'll also need to apply for your National Insurance No. This can be done over the phone to the 'missed juveniles' dept.

Welcome to BE!
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Could I apply for both numbers while still in the US or would that be something that I need to be in the UK for?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could I apply for both numbers while still in the US or would that be something that I need to be in the UK for?
I think you have to be UK resident. Definitely for the NI number as far as I know.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 6:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think you have to be UK resident. Definitely for the NI number as far as I know.
Likewise for the NHS number. If you don't have one then you'll be given one when you register with a GP. Chances are the old one has been converted to a new one and your GP will be able to look it up using your personal details.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks