Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Wikiposts

NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:49 am
Just Joined

GBTOUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...h-tourist.html

Blimey - so expats are totally ineligible for NHS care? Even as UK citizens, if we've paid taxes and continue to file UK taxes?

Sheesh -that's scary.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Health Care if you move back??!!!

Originally Posted by GBTOUSA

Blimey - so expats are totally ineligible for NHS care? Even as UK citizens, if we've paid taxes and continue to file UK taxes?

Sheesh -that's scary.
I think they are looking at it LITERALLY as if she is a tourist:

Mrs Read intends to continue volunteering in the Amazon and according to the Department of Health patients are ineligible for free care if they are intending to return abroad after their treatment.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh -that's scary.
No, they are not eligible - that has been covered on here dozens of times. I'm sure if you search for NHS you'll find half a dozen threads on the subject posted over just the past few weeks.

However, describing 3 months as an "extended period" seems excessive. This is one case where some Jobsworth has taken his or her job too seriously, I think.

I note the journalist called her "illegible" - ironic. Maybe they don't use dictionairies at the Mail.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:58 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think they are looking at it LITERALLY as if she is a tourist:

Mrs Read intends to continue volunteering in the Amazon and according to the Department of Health patients are ineligible for free care if they are intending to return abroad after their treatment.
Seems like she was a victim of being too honest, in that case.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the Daily Mail always get people to put on that terribly sad and devastated face for photos? Yuk.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:08 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why does the Daily Mail always get people to put on that terribly sad and devastated face for photos? Yuk.
I think they make liberal use of Photoshop. (the Misery Toolbar)
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They don't......that look is the result of reading the Daily Mail
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They don't......that look is the result of reading the Daily Mail
That really is true
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

GBTOUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - I think I've "sort of" got it clear - no NHS on a visit (which makes perfect sense) but if I were to move back, assuming I had been back for 12 months and was intending to stay - as a permanent resident - then I would be re-eligible.

My fear was permanent NHS exclusion even if I returned to the UK permanently. Of course rules can change and that still might happen.....sheesh

They seem to be interpreting the rules pretty tightly for that lady

Last edited by GBTOUSA; Feb 4th 2011 at 11:27 am.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:35 am
Ping-ponger

OK - I think I've "sort of" got it clear - no NHS on a visit (which makes perfect sense) but if I were to move back, assuming I had been back for 12 months and was intending to stay - as a permanent resident - then I would be re-eligible.

My fear was permanent NHS exclusion even if I returned to the UK permanently. Of course rules can change and that still might happen.....sheesh

They seem to be interpreting the rules pretty tightly for that lady
If you move back permanently, you are eligible from Day 1 - go trawl the old threads if you haven't already done so.

The problem with the lady in question is that a) she didn't come back to live permanently, she intended to leave as soon as her treatment was done, and b) she made the mistake of telling them that.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you move back permanently, you are eligible from Day 1 - go trawl the old threads if you haven't already done so.

The problem with the lady in question is that a) she didn't come back to live permanently, she intended to leave as soon as her treatment was done, and b) she made the mistake of telling them that.
Exactly!!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like a penny for every time someone starts a thread in a panic after reading something in the Daily Mail. I'd soon be able to afford to move back
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'd like a penny for every time someone starts a thread in a panic after reading something in the Daily Mail. I'd soon be able to afford to move back
The good old Daily Fail.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:04 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

This is a good reminder to those long term overseas to always take insurance when you travel back to the UK
many of my friends in the UK laugh when I say I have insurance but I have always known that once you go you are not entitled to non emergency treatment. A fair system really so any visitor (non EU) whether or not Brit cit has to pay.
Good ole daily mail - would have been the first to highlight someone from India say on a visit who took medical care so why not a brit who has clearly said they are intending to return overseas -
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:19 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you move back permanently, you are eligible from Day 1
Do you think there'd be any problem with having had no recent medical history in England? I mean, all I have is an old cardboard NI card to prove the number with a long-expired address on it.
The last time I visited the Doc over there, he had an ashtray on his desk and still made house-calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.