Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS eligibility or which private healthcare?

Wikiposts

NHS eligibility or which private healthcare?

Old Jun 11th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS eligibility or which private healthcare?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been online for ages as we're down to 20 days before we leave SA

Our household contents has been shipped and flights booked and we'll be arriving on 3 July. We've found a house we like and fingers crossed that we get it on a one year lease.

However, something I haven't been able to confirm. As I'm the Brit and have never lived there as a contributing adult, am I eligible for NHS? My two children are British passport holders, are they eligible?

My husband is of Croatian descent and will be entering after the Accession. As we currently understand he'll have the same rights as the Bulgarians/Romanians did, but as we're married he'll be allowed to work. Does anyone know what to expect in terms of healthcare for him?

I don't expect to be covered in all honesty, but it would be a nice bonus. If we're not covered, can anyone recommend where we should look for private healthcare?

Thanks in advance,
Nicola
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS eligibility or which private healthcare?

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Hi everyone,

I haven't been online for ages as we're down to 20 days before we leave SA

Our household contents has been shipped and flights booked and we'll be arriving on 3 July. We've found a house we like and fingers crossed that we get it on a one year lease.

However, something I haven't been able to confirm. As I'm the Brit and have never lived there as a contributing adult, am I eligible for NHS? My two children are British passport holders, are they eligible?

My husband is of Croatian descent and will be entering after the Accession. As we currently understand he'll have the same rights as the Bulgarians/Romanians did, but as we're married he'll be allowed to work. Does anyone know what to expect in terms of healthcare for him?

I don't expect to be covered in all honesty, but it would be a nice bonus. If we're not covered, can anyone recommend where we should look for private healthcare?

Thanks in advance,
Nicola
As you are coming to the UK to take up residence, you and your children will be eligible for NHS health care. They are tightening up on "NHS tourists" (people from Europe, and expat Brits) coming here just to get free health care), so the sooner you get on the electoral roll, get an account with a utility company, or whatever evidence will demonstrate that you're not just visiting, the less likely you will be to encounter any hiccups with getting NHS treatment.

For emergency care, even tourists are covered, so no need to worry if something happens in the first few days - but go to your local GP practice and ask to sign on as a patient ASAP, before you actually need health care.

Sorry, not sure about your husband.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As you are coming to the UK to take up residence, you and your children will be eligible for NHS health care. They are tightening up on "NHS tourists" (people from Europe, and expat Brits) coming here just to get free health care), so the sooner you get on the electoral roll, get an account with a utility company, or whatever evidence will demonstrate that you're not just visiting, the less likely you will be to encounter any hiccups with getting NHS treatment.

For emergency care, even tourists are covered, so no need to worry if something happens in the first few days - but go to your local GP practice and ask to sign on as a patient ASAP, before you actually need health care.

How does one get on the electoral roll?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
http://bit.ly/11f0uAR

Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hospitals
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1087.asp...categoryid=162

GPs in England (see last page of document)
http://www.manchester.nhs.uk/documen...flet-jan12.pdf
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Valuable information - thanks!!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Valuable information - thanks!!
I was amused to see that Exam Certificate for 'O' levels is on the list. I still have mine, still legible though the paper has yellowed a bit since 1964.

Also have my National Identity Card, but that expired in 1955.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I'm not sure that it is as hard as that, even for hospital treatment:

(love digging up this document )

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1087.asp...categoryid=162

documents showing the sale of goods or property overseas

receipts showing shipping of goods to the UK

evidence that you’re looking for work

evidence that you have bought property in the UK or have rented a property

papers that show you’ve applied for benefits

evidence that your children are attending school in the UK
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much, that's great news for me and the kids.

Still haven't a clue as to my husband, but I'm sure we'll figure it out as we go along
Old Jun 17th 2013, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Thank you so much, that's great news for me and the kids.

Still haven't a clue as to my husband, but I'm sure we'll figure it out as we go along
As long as he has the Accession papers to show he is entitled to live in the UK he gets full NHS treatment too.

As the above form (my previous post) indicates, anybody can get primary (doctor's or health centre) care anyway, as long as the doctor has patient space and you apply to the correct GP for your area.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 17th 2013 at 6:28 am.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Pistol Pete, I'm sure the accession stuff will get published soon, I haven't yet been able to find the final version online.