Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS Charges while visiting the UK

NHS Charges while visiting the UK

Old Jul 1st 2015, 5:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Charges while visiting the UK

Originally Posted by formula
I think that many couldn't be bothered to charge, even though they were meant to and it was costing the NHS millions; while other NHS staff were angry at the abuse of the NHS that they saw.

The same when the UK should be billing other EEA countires for their citizens use of the NHS, just as they bill the UK. Until 2013, the UK didn't even have the system to find out which EEAs had to pay!

The Immigration Act 2014 has changed all this. As one doctor said on a forum, now they will lose money if they don't bill as their trust will be fined.
If the relevant NHS trust wants the money to pay for the treatment they give someone who uses a BRP with a valid Immigration Helath Surcharge, then they have to apply for it from the cental pot where all this IHS money is held.

From reading that link I gave from 2015, I think that x-ray would be free as it was treatment received via the A&E department. If you had been admitted to a ward and then x-rayed, then you would have been billed (or should have). I assume that was the same before April 2015?
There was some confusion at the hospital. Their own forms said that the injury had to be less than x days old (I can't remember how long exactly). My injury was outside the time limit. Another complication, I remember, was that their software couldn't cope with my Canadian home address.

The nurse wanted to solve the problem by pretending my injury had occurred later, and that I lived at my UK address. I didn't feel comfortable with that, and made sure that I filled in the forms with the correct information, which didn't make me popular.

It all seemed a right palaver, frankly!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 5:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
My son was charged that in the US for x-rays for his sprained ankle and a bandage and he didn't stay on a ward.
But that is the US. An insurance based system results in price inflation.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

While all the arguments are very valid, the main point is, surely, that the OP VISITED to the UK with her child (who has a medical problem) without any medical insurance (I'm talking about getting a travel policy which included medical cover).

Regardless of whether you know ALL the rules or not of each country and whether the medical staff informs you of ALL the rules, regulations and costs she should have taken out the medical insurance for such a situation.

Her family has lived in the States for a number of years and her child does not have British citizenship.

A telling point of her posting is that had she known she was going to be charged for the overnight stay she would have refused the suggestion of the stay .....

I, too, will be visiting the UK this year - and, even though I lived in the UK for 50 years and paid my taxes, I've taken out travel insurance with medical cover.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jul 1st 2015 at 7:25 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Just out of interest, can you get medical cover for an existing medical condition, such as sickle-cell anaemia, and how much would it cost?
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
While all the arguments are very valid, the main point is, surely, that the OP VISITED to the UK with her child (who has a medical problem) without any medical insurance (I'm talking about getting a travel policy which included medical cover).
I wonder how easy/expensive it is to get travel insurance covering such a pre-existing condition?
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Just out of interest, can you get medical cover for an existing medical condition, such as sickle-cell anaemia, and how much would it cost?
You can certainly get travel insurance for pre-existing conditions...not sure about sickle cell. I would say probably...at a price...you can get just about anything for a price!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
As an aside, it is really stupid that they don't endorse passports "British by descent" or "British other than by descent" on the passport itself now that there are two classes of British citizenship. To save people have to prove things decades later that were already proven decades earlier.
The concept of being British otherwise than by descent and by descent has existed in law since at least 1914 and that information has never been included on British passports so it's nothing new.

A passport is only a travel document and not definitive proof of someone's citizenship. The passport examiner's notes will state under what particularly section of the law someone is British but given that British nationality law changes so frequently someone who may have once been British could no longer be or vice versa so any assessment based solely on a previous assessment as stated in someone's passport is likely to be flawed anyway particularly if assessing their children's eligibility.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
With many travel policies if you take out the insurance within 10 to 15 days of the initial payment of the vacation itself (ie. flight and/or accommodation) you can be covered for pre-conditions.

As someone else on this forum said if the OP was vacationing in Canada, South America, anywhere else in Europe would she not have expected to be charged for medical treatment?
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
So you have two things to do
1. Write to the hospital asking them to review the bill with a view to reducing it bearing in mind that only the overnight, not the A+E part should be charged.

2. Get your son a British passport to which he is entitled being your natural son provided you - yourself - are British other than British solely by descent. If you are British born or British naturalised then your son will be (at least) British by descent.

As an aside, it is really stupid that they don't endorse passports "British by descent" or "British other than by descent" on the passport itself now that there are two classes of British citizenship. To save people have to prove things decades later that were already proven decades earlier.
I have contacted the hospital to discuss the break down of the bill so that we might know what it is exactly we are paying for. We are awaiting their response.

I would have applied for my son to have citizenship over a year ago but the UK have also made this nearly impossible. My son is adopted from Uganda (which is why we adopted him because of his sickle cell) and because he was not adopted under the hague convention, he does not have the right be become a UK Cit. It is very complicated and I have tried every single path possible as well as discussing our options with an immigration lawyer in the UK who also agrees it is near impossible. We could take the matter to court and appeal but run the risk of losing (and money). However, this is irrelevant in regards to being charged by the NHS.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why did you not have travel insurance (with medical cover) when you visited the UK?
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please give the OP a break regarding whether or not she had travel/health insurance? I think we can assume she did not...why is irrelevant. Thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would argue that her 3 year old son was admitted by the doctor and that the OP has no medical background and thus went along with the doctor's advice.

Getting a UK PP is a good idea...but it does not entitle anyone to free NHS care.
My son was not admitted by the Dr. He had a sickle cell crisis, his oxygen levels were extremely low and blood levels low also, he had a high fever and was shaking uncontrollably. The staff panicked having little experience with sickle cell and he was seen immediately. The care was good considering and I would hardly think any mother of a child with sickle cell disease has 'no medical background'. More times than not, I am the one informing the Dr's.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why did you not have travel insurance (with medical cover) when you visited the UK?
good point, it remains unanswered & hindsight is 20/20

from my post earlier also

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post11688938
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Fair Lady
My son was not admitted by the Dr. He had a sickle cell crisis, his oxygen levels were extremely low and blood levels low also, he had a high fever and was shaking uncontrollably. The staff panicked having little experience with sickle cell and he was seen immediately. The care was good considering and I would hardly think any mother of a child with sickle cell disease has 'no medical background'. More times than not, I am the one informing the Dr's.
I think you are taking what I said the wrong way. My point was the doctor is the one trained and qualified to treat patients...you are not. Yes you may be the parent and have extensive experience looking after your son...but you are not a doctor. My argument there was in your favour. If the doctor says an overnight admission is necessary one would normally abide with the doctor's orders.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

While visiting the UK this spring, my son who has sickle cell was admitted into the hospital overnight. I have Brit. cit. but my son who is 3 has american. We discovered afterwards that we were charged with a bill for over a thousand pounds. I guess the laws changed on the 6th April and fees increased by 50%. Had we known we would be charged, I would not have allowed him to stay in especially because I knew he was well enough to go home.
you really didn't mean that did you & are you saying you know more about the condition & its treatment than a GP/MD?

You son was treated & is safe & you put money before his life.... just saying

Last edited by not2old; Jul 1st 2015 at 9:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.