NHS

Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS

Originally Posted by DDL
Watch the programme.
I see. So how would one find out where surgical instruments for any given medical facility in the US come from?
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
But the healthcare per se that I received in America was superior to what I've had and seen here. I'm sorry if this bothers some of you but it's the truth. Sure, I had to pay for [a portion of] it, but this is where I'm coming from when I speak about the NHS.
The "healthcare per se" that someone with excellent group health insurance provided by an employer in the US receives is somewhat uninteresting unless there is a guarantee that one will have said excellent insurance all the time. The reality is that most people don't. And the US system often lets people down just at the moments when they need it most. The bottom line for me is that you really can't separate out the provision of healthcare from the system of access the general population is afforded to it.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
According to this article, doctors in Britain make ten times the rate of house calls as do US doctors:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032301745.html

That's because it's easier for people in the US to get to their doctors! Everyone drives, there are more surgeries, etc.

This isn't a competition, Giantaxe. Geesh.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DDL
That's because it's easier for people in the US to get to their doctors! Everyone drives, there are more surgeries, etc.

This isn't a competition, Giantaxe. Geesh.
I don't know whether you've noticed, but the UK is rather smaller than the US and has far better public transportation. Accessing a doctor's surgery is almost certainly as easy (and probably a lot easier) than it is for people - especially older people who need more medical attention - than is the case in the US. Geesh.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I don't think having lots of ultrasounds is necessarily a good thing unless you have a specific problem. Scans in the UK are treated (as they should be) as a way to see if a fetus has any problems, not as a 'meet the baby opportunity' and a money making side line.

I have 5 kids , 3 of whom were born in the UK with midwives and 2 (twins) who were born in the US with a an independent lay midwife. There is no way on earth I would have a baby in the US in a hospital they have totally medicalised pregnancy and birth.
Nettie, I nearly completely agree with you....just not the bit about home birth. I would only have a baby in a hospital with immediate access to full neonatal and post-natal care....but that's me with my (UK) doctors hat on.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My experience of the Canadian system is that it's every bit as good as the UK - except the prescriptions aspect. My wife and I are both diabetic. In the UK that would mean free prescriptions and testing supplies. Here it means about $700 a month.
May I just please point out that the prescriptions are not "free" but "free at point of need".

best wishes
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well everybody on here can "bicker and bitch" as much as they like I only know that just last week from PERSONAL experience I received excellent service from the NHS.........a 2 day stay in hospital with every test going, and believe me, I do feel very grateful for the National Health Service, sure it may not have ladi de da wards with nurses in designer uniforms and piped music in the lift and little platters of sandwiches and fruit, but the MEDICAL care I got was excellent........and surely that's all that matters......

I too can give you "stories" about waiting lists, etc. But when it comes to the nitty gritty the NHS comes up trumps!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well everybody on here can "bicker and bitch" as much as they like I only know that just last week from PERSONAL experience I received excellent service from the NHS.........a 2 day stay in hospital with every test going, and believe me, I do feel very grateful for the National Health Service, sure it may not have ladi de da wards with nurses in designer uniforms and piped music in the lift and little platters of sandwiches and fruit, but the MEDICAL care I got was excellent........and surely that's all that matters......

I too can give you "stories" about waiting lists, etc. But when it comes to the nitty gritty the NHS comes up trumps!
I agree, my Mum had to go the the Hospital 2 days ago, she did nothing but rave about the wonderful care she received. And she only had to wait 2 hours. Here in Canada it would have been anywhere from 4-8
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

so does anyone know, I am toting my Mum back to the UK,she has been in USA 30 years and she became a citizen, is she entitled to the NHS ? she was born and lived 50 years in UK proir to moving to US
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of the Canadian system is that it's every bit as good as the UK - except the prescriptions aspect. My wife and I are both diabetic. In the UK that would mean free prescriptions and testing supplies. Here it means about $700 a month
Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
May I just please point out that the prescriptions are not "free" but "free at point of need".
Well I think most people realise what is meant when people say free. In my use of the term I meant as opposed to having to pay three sets of prescription charges for the Insulin, Metformin and Gliclazide, with the cost of syringes, test strips, lancets and swabs on top.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

ANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant futureANGIE1956 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, I used the NHS as soon as I entered the UK. I registered with a local GP and (as a breast cancer survivor) had a free mammogram not long afterwards. I take a daily tablet for which I pay £7.something/month via the NHS. Under my US healthcare plan (provided by my employer, minimum contribution on my part) my tablets cost me £30/month and I was given 2 free mammograms a year.

Let me clarify ... I agree that the American healthcare system is for the most part badly in need of reform. But the healthcare per se that I received in America was superior to what I've had and seen here. I'm sorry if this bothers some of you but it's the truth. Sure, I had to pay for [a portion of] it, but this is where I'm coming from when I speak about the NHS. I think it's absolutely wonderful that over here it's free. I have three adult children who work, but one of them does not have health insurance. I know firsthand the pain she has to endure at times because she does not have healthcare. I hate it.

Btw, I did not use welfare (and I don't understand what that has to do with this conversation). My husband (who is British) claimed contributions-based job seekers for a few months until he found work. His monetary determination was based on him, not me - I wasn't eligible as I was not a UK resident. However, the way the system works over here when you are married is that I still had to sign-on every week and look for work (which I was, of course, doing anyway), although I could not receive compensation.

And no, you do not have to be working in the US to get healthcare. There are free clinics, there are organizations that will cover payment of medical fees for indigent people, and - unfortunately - anyone can take their malais to the Emergency Room of any hospital and they cannot be turned away. They'll be billed for it, and that's a whole other conversation that I don't want to get into. Like I said, the American healthcare system is - for the most part - .
These "free clinics" are few and far apart too. Good luck finding one. And yes some hospitals have to treat emergency's IE car accident, but you get the great big bill in the mail, and then you have a heart attack.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived here for 35 years and until today Id never heard of American doctors making house calls, Im not saying it doesnt happen, just that its News to me.

I do know Doctors go to care facilities to visit patients that are stuck living those places.

Let me add, Im leaving out celebrities and the extremely wealthy, I expect them to get personal service.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jun 29th 2011 at 9:42 pm. Reason: Additional text.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatalieLucy
I'm still trying to get DH to see the NHS under a new light. He is so strong on his opinion and I don't understand why. He can't really compare the two without having experienced the other side. At least I have been brought up under the NHS and have knowledge of the US system.

At the end of the day I'm looking at it from a new Mother's perspective. Do I want to be broke paying out the earth for premiums that don't even cover 100% medical coverage. And then there's the whole yearly and lifetime maximum benefit amount. I mean come on how can you put a maximum amount on your health. Ridiculous!
Have you considered that he may have no intentions or desire to live in the UK and is using healthcare as an excuse, maybe you should tell him about the 4 weeks holidays they get by law.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
so does anyone know, I am toting my Mum back to the UK,she has been in USA 30 years and she became a citizen, is she entitled to the NHS ? she was born and lived 50 years in UK proir to moving to US
No qualifying period. Straight back into it on taking up UK residency again.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:20 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
These "free clinics" are few and far apart too. Good luck finding one. And yes some hospitals have to treat emergency's IE car accident, but you get the great big bill in the mail, and then you have a heart attack.

All hospitals not "some hospitals" treat emergencies whether a person can pay or not. Facts are facts.

I am not sure what all the bickering is about as it changes nothing and clearly does not change any ones point of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.