Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

News item on cost of living in the uk.

News item on cost of living in the uk.

Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:26 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default News item on cost of living in the uk.

thought it might be useful for some making their decisions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7481927.stm
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:44 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News item on cost of living in the uk.

We went back on a visit 2 months ago and found food and clothing prices incredibly cheap.
The availability and choice of all products actually, was incredible so as a result competition makes for better prices.
Compared to here in Australia - it was amazing. So much on offer and all at great prices.
Looking forwards to our return!

*pearly*
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=onepearlyb;6524586]We went back on a visit 2 months ago and found food and clothing prices incredibly cheap.
The availability and choice of all products actually, was incredible so as a result competition makes for better prices.
Compared to here in Australia - it was amazing. So much on offer and all at great prices.

My experience also.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:37 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - might be up to our necks in a mortgage when we go back - but at least we'll be well dressed and well fed!

You heading back manc1??
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
We went back on a visit 2 months ago and found food and clothing prices incredibly cheap.

*pearly*
We certainly food most things cheaper, food,clothes, drinks even eating out was mainly cheaper and a there was a lot more choice than we have here in Perth we even went on a family holiday to Cyprus (in late April) all inclusive for not much more than a mon - Fri break to Dunsborough.....need I say more!!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:01 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Geeeez, yes - you've just reminded me of the cheap airfares to Europe etc!
You just can't knock it.

If you think about it - the UK does have SOME good stuff going for it, eh?!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

You just can't knock it.

Certainly does..great people (mostly!!!) ideal location (near to Europe and America) History, Life!!!!! ha ha....could do with better weather (there having some great weather at the moment) but that's not everything!!!!! "gigs"..would love to have gone to the Nelson Mandela concert!!!! etc.....oh well hopefully soon....CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BUY OUR HOME AND ASK OUR GUARDIAN ANGELS TO COME BACK FROM WHEREVER THEY HAVE DISSAPEARED TO THESE LAST !14 MONTHS!!!!!!! (a little bit of help from them/anyone/anything would be just great at the moment!!!)
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:31 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=manc1;6524840]

My experience also.
I agree too-so what made us all think it was so much better/cheaper to live here then?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:50 am
shoot from the hip,baby

[quote=JoolsB;6525141]
Originally Posted by manc1

I agree too-so what made us all think it was so much better/cheaper to live here then?
I dunno - sun?? The mythical tale that all will be great and better elsewhere?
The reality is far removed.

It's just something we've had to do I suppose. Now that we're in the process of going back, things seem to be happening for us to make it all possible. No obstacles in our way. It's like brits1's guardian angels have lifted a weight and opened the gates and now we're free to go.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:06 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=onepearlyb;6525169]
Originally Posted by JoolsB

I dunno - sun?? The mythical tale that all will be great and better elsewhere?
The reality is far removed.

It's just something we've had to do I suppose. Now that we're in the process of going back, things seem to be happening for us to make it all possible. No obstacles in our way. It's like brits1's guardian angels have lifted a weight and opened the gates and now we're free to go.
At least that makes you feel you're headed in the right direction

Weird thing is it was such smooth sailing for us to get to Aus despite what looked like numerous obstacles everything did fall into place on the way here making us think it we must be doing the right thing. Makes me question myself-perhaps there is a reason I am here for the time being..
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:16 am
shoot from the hip,baby

[quote=JoolsB;6525197]

At least that makes you feel you're headed in the right direction

Weird thing is it was such smooth sailing for us to get to Aus despite what looked like numerous obstacles everything did fall into place on the way here making us think it we must be doing the right thing. Makes me question myself-perhaps there is a reason I am here for the time being..
Yup - your right. There's always a reason for it I think.
For us - maybe it was to realise how much we needed our family near us.
Or - perhaps it was to give me the opportunity to study more in the area of work I enjoy.By doing this, it's allowing me to apply for jobs back home I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

Whatever it was/is - we're here, we've stuck it out and now we're going back. No regrets,no what if's.
It took us 15 months to make the final decision to return although I had my doubts while we were going through the PR application. Felt like I was on that rollercoaster and couldn't get off. Just had to go through with it.

All that matters is that you are happy with the decisions you make, as this life is so short and precious. Don't waste time being unhappy and stressed if you don't need to be in that situation. Nothing is worth that.

Now, back to shopping at M&S online.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:00 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

You just can't knock it.

It HAS got some good stuff going for it...definately...but you wouldn't think that talking to people where I live. Sometimes I think people try to think of all the negatives in England - just to try and convince themselves they've done the right thing by staying here! I've heard all about the "dried up" vegetables in Sainsburys and the wonderful choice here - it makes me mad!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:17 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Your right. People living permanently anywhere in the world,take great pleasure in seeing the negatives mostly. It's only when you leave, that clarity shows what you really had.
There are +ve and -ve's everywhere as we all know by now.
I think it's all about achieving a balance and having what you need most around you. When you have this you enjoy life more and there's less unhappiness. Sorted!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JoolsB;6525141]
Originally Posted by manc1

Was it an exchange rate issue? I understand the table has turned the other way more recently.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:32 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
thought it might be useful for some making their decisions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7481927.stm
Really depends on how many in your family. Two of us live very comfortably. Inflation for us is probably only running at 1 or 2%, we rent and dont have a car. Someone with kids, mortgage and car will be looking at 9-10%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.