Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Newbie Intro: Planning to move back - Brexit impact?

Newbie Intro: Planning to move back - Brexit impact?

Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Intro: Planning to move back - Brexit impact?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The FTSE isn't in dollars so that is also moot. Obviously it will have dropped if you want to make an arbitrary conversion into dollars.

The fall in the pound may have made shares cheaper for overseas investors, but the main investors in UK listed companies will be UK entities and shares did not become cheaper for them on June 24th.
No, the majority of investors are overseas. The fall in the pound is therefore anything but moot:

ONS statistics on UK share ownership - Business Insider

For the overseas investors, well the shares they have bought since June are worth less to them every day at the moment because they will ultimately have to cash them in in pounds and then use pounds to buy back their own currency. So if overseas investors are buying UK stock in droves then the overseas investors must also expect sterling to recover. (As do I).
As do I - eventually. Essentially buying UK shares at this point is a punt on sterling.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No, the majority of investors are overseas. The fall in the pound is therefore anything but moot:

ONS statistics on UK share ownership - Business Insider

As do I - eventually. Essentially buying UK shares at this point is a punt on sterling.
I didn't say the fall in the pound was moot. I said converting the FTSE index into dollars was moot as UK shares are in £ not $.

So FTSE up, sterling expected to recover. All looking good for OP

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Oct 8th 2016 at 3:40 am.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say the fall in the pound was moot. I said converting the FTSE index into dollars was moot as UK shares are in £ not $.
No. If one is thinking of converting dollar assets into Uk shares, converting the FTSE index into dollars most certainly isn't moot; it's what you're making your judgement call on as to the value of those shares versus other assets. A major reason FTSE shares look attractively priced to such buyers right now is that the index is lower in dollar terms than it was at the beginning of the year.

So FTSE up, sterling expected to recover. All looking good for OP
Which assumes that the FTSE will remain "up" if and when the pound recovers.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 8th 2016 at 4:01 am.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No. If one is thinking of converting dollar assets into Uk shares, converting the FTSE index into dollars most certainly isn't moot; it's what you're making your judgement call on as to the value of those shares versus other assets. A major reason FTSE shares look attractively priced to such buyers right now is that the index is lower in dollar terms than it was at the beginning of the year.

Which assumes that the FTSE will remain "up" if and when the pound recovers.

The exchange rate alone would be sufficient to indicate to an overseas investor that they might be able to buy UK stocks on the cheap.

Looking at an arbitrary conversion of the FTSE index into $ at two different points of time is clouding two distinct features of underlying business performance and exchange rates which would be better considered separately.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The exchange rate alone would be sufficient to indicate to an overseas investor that they might be able to buy UK stocks on the cheap.
What? No, that's only half the equation. If the FTSE index had climbed more than the pound has declined, then Uk shares would look nowhere near as cheap to dollar investors.

Looking at an arbitrary conversion of the FTSE index into $ at two different points of time is clouding two distinct features of underlying business performance and exchange rates which would be better considered separately.
If you are a dollar investor who expects eventually to sell back into dollars, it's exactly what you need to consider.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 8th 2016 at 4:25 am.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Quite. Can we just accept that the whole thing is an almighty f*** up?
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
HMG said that a few weeks ago, but speeches at the Conservative conference from hard Brexit fans like Liam Fox have put those rights back on the table as a bargaining chip. This is probably why Hollander was so tough in his speech yesterday
Hollande. He's French you know.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Only because the EU wants to show it's willing to play hardball to stop others from considering jumping ship. It's just both sides wanting to be billy big bollocks. Transitional arrangements for existing residents will be the first thing to be agreed come April.

Perhaps, but only one side really is.

I'm glad that "transitional arrangements" will be made in April, but it's quite unlikely given that the "transition" will have no chance of being defined by then.

"Oh duckies, whatever we do to destroy each others position won't have any affect on bits of the status quo?"

Riight.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 9th 2016 at 9:27 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quite. Can we just accept that the whole thing is an almighty f*** up?
Absolutely we can, I'm just amused listening to the continued to and fro on the subject on this thread. I learned long ago to worry only about the things within my sphere of influence. In my career I had to put up with a couple of big projects that I argued strongly against, but once the decision had been made to proceed then I did my utmost to ensure they were implemented as well as possible.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:29 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Hollande. He's French you know.
Il est Francais?..........mis-type........

Last edited by nun; Oct 9th 2016 at 9:58 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:39 pm
Born again atheist

Absolutely we can, I'm just amused listening to the continued to and fro on the subject on this thread. I learned long ago to worry only about the things within my sphere of influence. In my career I had to put up with a couple of big projects that I argued strongly against, but once the decision had been made to proceed then I did my utmost to ensure they were implemented as well as possible.
Fair enough, but have you ever dealt with a decision to go ahead with a "project" which at the time of the decision was utterly undefined in terms of goals or outcomes?
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, but only one side really is.

I'm glad that "transitional arrangements" will be made in April, but it's quite unlikely given that the "transition" will have no chance of being defined by then.

"Oh duckies, whatever we do to destroy each others position won't have any affect on bits of the status quo?"

Riight.
Care to offer a prediction of your own then?
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:45 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Care to offer a prediction of your own then?
No. It would be stupid to do so. But after that Tory rush to hard Brexit, it's hard to be optimistic.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough, but have you ever dealt with a decision to go ahead with a "project" which at the time of the decision was utterly undefined in terms of goals or outcomes?
Oh most certainly.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 10:19 pm
Born again atheist

Oh most certainly.
Oh good. How did that work out?

Did the enterprise survive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.