Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New Zealand to UK after 31yrs ???

New Zealand to UK after 31yrs ???

Old Jul 14th 2007, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand to UK after 31yrs ???

Hello there i have been reading everyones posts with great interest & as you an see from my heading i am considering a return to the UK after years here in NZ.

I am extremely undecided what to do as i married a kiwi (he was working in the UK when we met and i was 17 when we married) When i was 18 we moved to NZ with $400 and a baby (make a great movie that would) I gave up a hairdressnig apprentiship to follow hubbys dream of owning his own farm.

We moved to a very isolated place in the Bay of Plenty. Well to cut a very long story short we worked hard all our lives building up to having our own farm (big mortgage tho lol) bt it was still ours.

Around 17yrs ago hubby had an affair with a family friend (the only family i have in NZ are my 2 boys who at that time were 13 and 15yrs old and are 30 and 32 now. I have 2 gorgeous grandchildren with another due in october.)Hubby an i worked things out & stayed together and made it work (well i thought that was what we were doing until 5yrs ago when he announced he no longer loved me and hadnt for the past 2yrs and was in fact having an affair with another of my friends. So the farm had to be sold he and his new lady moved in together taking with the a business that we had started together and i had put my heart and soul into and i was kind of like what will i do now....I had no official raining in anything except being a mum and farming running the b&bthat we had on the farm and starting up and running the horse tekking company which he took with him...None of those things i could have done by myself anyhow.....

I initially hung round for my boys even though they were all grown up and one was in fact in the UK i felt i had to be there for them as they were devestated that their dad had bought them up to never lie and had in fact lied to them himself i have had several trips back to the Uk during the past 5yrs one was a 7month stint and the others have been for family reasons illness weddings etc....I have become a bit like an itinerant traveller i guess and am finding it extremely difficult to settle into anything....
y family all miss me in the UK and i do have to admit that if it wasnt for my grandchildren i would probaly be back in the UK now as the boys are back in touch with their dad.

I guess it is one of the dangers of marrying someone from a different country and possibly marying so young but we did last 27yrs being married so we must have done something right.
Believe it or not i never appled for NZ citezinship in all that time so around 14months ago i applied only to get the most challenging person as my case manaer...Apparently even though i had been in NZ 30yrs i had at some stage during my application not been ordinarily resident in NZ for the time period they specify (whichi now understand is not leaving nz for longer than 3 weeks at a stretch during a 3yr period....This man was extremely rude to me when i asked him to explain why he had put my application on hold going so far as to be practically yelling at me down the phone....I was already distressed as i was letting him know my gran was dying in he uk and that i was leaving the country to date all these months later (yes they did process the $500 from my cc at the initial application) anyhow to date i still dont hav my NZ citezinship. So i have to wait to make my decision before i do anyhing.
Well iam sure this has possibly bored you all to tears lol i just needed a rant...
Thanx for listening x
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand to UK after 31yrs ???

Originally Posted by cally49
Hello there i have been reading everyones posts with great interest & as you an see from my heading i am considering a return to the UK after years here in NZ.

I am extremely undecided what to do as i married a kiwi (he was working in the UK when we met and i was 17 when we married) When i was 18 we moved to NZ with $400 and a baby (make a great movie that would) I gave up a hairdressnig apprentiship to follow hubbys dream of owning his own farm.

We moved to a very isolated place in the Bay of Plenty. Well to cut a very long story short we worked hard all our lives building up to having our own farm (big mortgage tho lol) bt it was still ours.

Around 17yrs ago hubby had an affair with a family friend (the only family i have in NZ are my 2 boys who at that time were 13 and 15yrs old and are 30 and 32 now. I have 2 gorgeous grandchildren with another due in october.)Hubby an i worked things out & stayed together and made it work (well i thought that was what we were doing until 5yrs ago when he announced he no longer loved me and hadnt for the past 2yrs and was in fact having an affair with another of my friends. So the farm had to be sold he and his new lady moved in together taking with the a business that we had started together and i had put my heart and soul into and i was kind of like what will i do now....I had no official raining in anything except being a mum and farming running the b&bthat we had on the farm and starting up and running the horse tekking company which he took with him...None of those things i could have done by myself anyhow.....

I initially hung round for my boys even though they were all grown up and one was in fact in the UK i felt i had to be there for them as they were devestated that their dad had bought them up to never lie and had in fact lied to them himself i have had several trips back to the Uk during the past 5yrs one was a 7month stint and the others have been for family reasons illness weddings etc....I have become a bit like an itinerant traveller i guess and am finding it extremely difficult to settle into anything....
y family all miss me in the UK and i do have to admit that if it wasnt for my grandchildren i would probaly be back in the UK now as the boys are back in touch with their dad.

I guess it is one of the dangers of marrying someone from a different country and possibly marying so young but we did last 27yrs being married so we must have done something right.
Believe it or not i never appled for NZ citezinship in all that time so around 14months ago i applied only to get the most challenging person as my case manaer...Apparently even though i had been in NZ 30yrs i had at some stage during my application not been ordinarily resident in NZ for the time period they specify (whichi now understand is not leaving nz for longer than 3 weeks at a stretch during a 3yr period....This man was extremely rude to me when i asked him to explain why he had put my application on hold going so far as to be practically yelling at me down the phone....I was already distressed as i was letting him know my gran was dying in he uk and that i was leaving the country to date all these months later (yes they did process the $500 from my cc at the initial application) anyhow to date i still dont hav my NZ citezinship. So i have to wait to make my decision before i do anyhing.
Well iam sure this has possibly bored you all to tears lol i just needed a rant...
Thanx for listening x
I think you deserve to be happy, do whatever it takes to make that happen. Although you have no formal training, it sounds like you have lots of practical experience which is just as good, if not better.

As for the guy at the citizenship place, well I think you should report him to someone in a senior position. Even if you aren't eligible for citizenship just yet, there is no need for him to talk to you like that. After 31 years of living in a country I find it ridiculous that they won't grant you citizenship!.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not i never appled for NZ citezinship in all that time so around 14months ago i applied only to get the most challenging person as my case manaer...Apparently even though i had been in NZ 30yrs i had at some stage during my application not been ordinarily resident in NZ for the time period they specify (whichi now understand is not leaving nz for longer than 3 weeks at a stretch during a 3yr period....This man was extremely rude to me when i asked him to explain why he had put my application on hold going so far as to be practically yelling at me down the phone....I was already distressed as i was letting him know my gran was dying in he uk and that i was leaving the country to date all these months later (yes they did process the $500 from my cc at the initial application) anyhow to date i still dont hav my NZ citezinship.
Ordinary residence is defined as where you are living. Your citizenship application has taken much longer than normal and you should contact your Member of Parliament to make a formal inquiry with the Minister as to what is going on.

And you should not even think about leaving NZ until your citizenship is granted and you are sworn in.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou both for reading my post and the information was great....I just ave to get things right in my own head i guess.Maybe if i couldaveremained in the area i had lived for 21yrs before seperating i would have been more settled generally but unfortunately i couldnt & losing my home and income and friends all at once was a very difficult time for me and left me feeling like i didnt really "belong" anywhere....

Anyhow i will let you know how i get on with my citezinship you are right the guy thats dealing with my"case" seems to be a total control freak so much so that i have had to get a JP to witness my signature and the very same form ifilled in all those months ago FOUR times now..Luckily i know the JPo im sure he would think i was mad....One example was when i called him to say i had to leave the country(as we are meant to during the process of citezinship)
He said how long will you be awayi replied sorry i really have no idea my grandmother is dying I dont know he kept rambling on about how it wuld affect my application if i was gone too long in the end i was so upset i said to him "at the present moment my gran is dying in the uk i need to go and i am going wether it affects my application or not i dont care. This man didnt even say he was sorry.
He then sent me an email about 3 weeks later saying please advise when you return so i rang him when i got back he said to me i willend the forms to you for resigning, so i once again drove 20km round trip to the JP only to one month later recieve yet another letter from him complete with the forms saying. You are now withing the ordinarily residence time frame please resign your form and passpot photo in front of a JP...SO that has been my dealing with the citezinship office.

I have never had a conviction of any kind have run businesses and paid thousands of dollars in tax only to be treated like this so as you suggested i thinkit is time for a visit to my local MP...........
Just thought id give you a view of how things have happened for me will keep you up to date on proceedings.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry i forgot to check for typo errors in my last post unfortunately my keyboard took exception to around a teaspoon full of wine being spilt over it lol an has never been the same since they replaced the keyboard...
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Cally that man is 'supposed' to be a civil servant and has no right to treat you like this. Send a letter in to his head of department, complaining about his behavior and ask that someone else deal with your matter from now on.

You have had a rough trot, and I wish you all the very best.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a lawyer! You have lived in NZ for so long that you should get citizenship with little trouble. Could you consult an immigration attorney? You have a right to be happy. Do what YOU want to do. You have lived for others for a very long time. You are not too old to change. Life doesn't end until it's over (I know that's obvious but so many people say, 'but...I'm too old". You are still alive and still able to live and love). GO FOR IT!
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

ukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to allukbrit is a name known to all

Thanx for listening x
Hello There, Not sure how long ago you posted this but im literally in the same boat but per small differences, ive lived here in the USA since 1989 have 2 children 19 and 15. My husband quite on our marriage over 12 years ago and im here for the kids. I am not a US citizen and truthfully dont want to be. I go home to the UK every year or so and trying to do it more often this time every 6 months, all my family are there. Ive struggled as you have to maintain the status quo here but getting very tired of it all.
I want to go home to the UK so much its depressing me terribly and all I can think of is the move back. I miss everything so much.
On a straight talking note, are we missing the UK because we have been damaged in our other country emotionally in some way or is it litereally homesick? im trying to get my mind around it.
I feel like im lost everywhere I go, being here I dont belong but also back in the UK I feel a little out of it??, I want to bring my children with me but my 19 year old wants to join the US military and my 15 year old is nearly out of school, what to do? Any suggestions?
I hope your situation sorted itself , if not hello im a friend here that is willing to listen anytime you feel the need to chat.
Hope you can share more thoughts and if you finally made it back to the uk YET?
s
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukbrit
Hello There, Not sure how long ago you posted this but im literally in the same boat but per small differences, ive lived here in the USA since 1989 have 2 children 19 and 15. My husband quite on our marriage over 12 years ago and im here for the kids. I am not a US citizen and truthfully dont want to be. I go home to the UK every year or so and trying to do it more often this time every 6 months, all my family are there. Ive struggled as you have to maintain the status quo here but getting very tired of it all.
I want to go home to the UK so much its depressing me terribly and all I can think of is the move back. I miss everything so much.
On a straight talking note, are we missing the UK because we have been damaged in our other country emotionally in some way or is it litereally homesick? im trying to get my mind around it.
I feel like im lost everywhere I go, being here I dont belong but also back in the UK I feel a little out of it??, I want to bring my children with me but my 19 year old wants to join the US military and my 15 year old is nearly out of school, what to do? Any suggestions?
I hope your situation sorted itself , if not hello im a friend here that is willing to listen anytime you feel the need to chat.
Hope you can share more thoughts and if you finally made it back to the uk YET?
s
One very important suggestion: Get your US citizenship now. This is a purely practical consideration - leave the emotions out of it.

The fact is, you have two USC children, and it would be madness to leave without getting citizenship first.

Once you are a USC you have options - you can go back home, but you can also come back as you please, be it for visits or to live.

Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cally, you've had a bit of a rough time haven't you? Maybe there is another immigration officer there who may be a bit more friendly and helpful. When I was awaiting my residency which took 2 years I was homesick one xmas and wanted to go back to the UK and had to get permission since they had my passport still. The first immigration officer wasn't so helpful, the second was and very understanding. I was given permission to return for 3 weeks but had to be back by a certain date. As someone else has mentioned I would hang in there for your citizenship and that will then give you more choices, if you decide UK isn't where you want to be long term. My uncle used to spend 6 months in UK and NZ so he got the best of both worlds.

With regard to knowing what to do, you may not have any formal training, however, you have had the skills of being a mum and grandmother, you have run the business albeit with the help of your ex husband, but nevertheless you have got the same skills and experience as him and you'd soon learn things that you didn't know very quickly anyway.

You are still a young woman, going on your username I'm assuming you are 49, so you have plenty of years ahead doing what you want to do. Maybe you could start off with a B&B yourself, even if you've only got a couple of rooms. It would be start, would be yours and you can build on that. You could tie in with some other small businesses and be able to offer customers other activities, for them to do whilst visiting. So there are plenty of opportunities that you could do without necessarily needing alot of capital behind you. People buy people and I'm sure that in the past you past customers have got on well with you in your previous businesses, otherwise you wouldn't have been in business too long. You sons maybe able to give you some help as well.

When I split from my husband in Oz, he cleared out our joint account and also had all the bills in my name so I was broke for a while, but I was lucky I had support of friends who boosted my self esteem up which was very low at the time and 15 years later I'm half owner of a growing and reputable company and own 2 houses and currently buying another which I shall rent out. So if I can do it, you certainly can. I'm independent and self reliant, and vowed never to let a guy do that to me again or to be able to take anything away from me.

You life is out there, you are still a young woman. If you haven't done it go and get a make over, it will make you feel good and then sit with pad and pen and decide what you want out of your life and go for it. Biggest revenge out is to be successful in your own right and do exactly what you want in life without asking permission of anyone else. You are still young, so think what business you want to do that will be your new baby and no one can take away from you again and put your heart and soul into that, whether it is in UK or NZ. It will make you feel less lost, give you independence and your self esteem back. You will also meet new people and friends...

Don't let the rude man get to you, take a deep breath and use your female charm on him. He is probably used to dealing with unhappy people, so put a smile on your face and be cheerful, it might throw him.......ask him playfuly if he has been told how sexy his voice is.

Thanx for listening x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:19 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have been granted citizenship and sworn in, I'd advise getting your NZ passport (only takes a couple of weeks). It's valid for 10 yrs and can be renewed in UK (if you are there). Presenting it upon arrival back in NZ will remove any potential hassles entering the country.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Once you have been granted citizenship and sworn in, I'd advise getting your NZ passport (only takes a couple of weeks). It's valid for 10 yrs and can be renewed in UK (if you are there). Presenting it upon arrival back in NZ will remove any potential hassles entering the country.
All good advice, except that New Zealand passports issued since April 2005 are only valid for 5 years.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:54 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
All good advice, except that New Zealand passports issued since April 2005 are only valid for 5 years.
I was surprised to hear this. I'm wondering what their rationale for it is and if they have as a result, kept down the fees involved compared to passport fees of other countries, eg, Australia, United Kingdom, etc
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I was surprised to hear this. I'm wondering what their rationale for it is and if they have as a result, kept down the fees involved compared to passport fees of other countries, eg, Australia, United Kingdom, etc
NZ being used as a trampoline to Aus.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:39 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
NZ being used as a trampoline to Aus.
That's been going on for a while, which is why I think they extended the waiting period for citizenship. But I can't see how halving the validity time of NZ passports will do anything. I mean even if it expires, you don't lose your citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.