Reload this Page >

New single mum. Needing advice.

New single mum. Needing advice.

Old Apr 15th 2020, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

SharonGale1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New single mum. Needing advice.

Hello 👋
I'm currently residing in Auckland, New Zealand, sitting out the Lockdown in our family bubble that consists of my resent ex partner and my 10 year old daughter.
we came to NZ nearly 4 years ago to 'live the dream' but it didnt exactly turn out that way. Weve had a rough ride. Anyhoo, my partner recently ended our relationship and I am now trying to plan my next move/s for my return to the UK. My family (mum, brother and sister) all live fairly close to each other but none of them have room to put myself or my daughter up. My ex will return also and live with his elderly parents.
As I've never been in this situation before and I'm at a loss as what I need to do. I've contacted gov.uk website and emailed them but their advice is so random and confusing. CAB is practically the same. The information that keeps coming back isn't really relevant to my situation.
Please help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon
Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New single mum. Needing advice.

Presuming that you and daughter are both British citizens with regard to being able to return to the UK, you only need your passports and can return whenever you wish.

With regard assistance such as benefits, housing etc that will not be forthcoming until you have returned, found your own accommodation and then applied for such benefits.

Old Apr 16th 2020, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Yes we are both British Citizens. It seems the housing, banks etc is a minefield. We've literally nowhere to go once we step off the plane.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

In the immediate term you will struggle big time to get a flight out of NZ to UK - you probably have missed the opportunity for any of the repatriation flights that were available.

Probably best you try and work something amicable out with your other half to sit tight for the timebeing; unless unbearable or dangerous for you to remain in your bubble with him and in which case you should get in touch with local agencies here such as women's refuge.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/new-zealand

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 16th 2020 at 1:15 am.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Sharon. I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Obtaining Council or social housing prior to returning to the UK is not possible, before you could even be considered you'd need to be in the local area you're seeking accommodation in and you'll need to pass the Habitual Residence Test (HRT), more info on this below. The HRT applies to most benefits and Council/social housing. If you have the funds to rent something like short term/holiday accommodation for you and your daughter (Airbnb, Home Away, Stayz etc), then this will be your best bet if you want to secure accommodation prior to arriving back in the UK (if you can't persuade a family member or friend to put you up temporarily). Even a bedroom for you and your daughter in shared short term accommodation would be better than having nowhere to go.
Habitual Residence test information for UK and Irish citizens returning to England (links provided for other areas) : https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

I don't want to pry into your financial situation, but if you don't have any savings at all is it possible for you and your ex to save some money before you return to the UK? Without the help of family and friends, either in the form of putting you up or helping financially, then the harsh truth is if you don't have the funds to rent accommodation, you will be homeless on your arrival to the UK. Sorry to be so blunt but it's important that you know this, for both yours and your daughter's sake. In those circumstances it would be far better for you to stay in NZ if you at least have accommodation until you can get some funds together.

Excellent advice from Bo-Jangles regarding staying safe.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice. So I am safe, I have no need to worry or fear my partner. Everything is quite amicable.
We have some savings of which will be divided equally and the idea of an Airbnb is a great one. Thank you. It will definitely tide me over until I can find and sort something more permanent. 👍
We currently have a garage full of boxes that were due to be moved but the removal people also went into Lockdown so we cannot leave until all of that has been sorted. We were due to fly back mid March and return to the UK permanently but everything went into Lockdown.
So, as soon as our boxes can be shipped back to the UK we can book our flights.

Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will have to wait for the end of lock down anyway as all hotels, guest houses and rentals are supposed to be closed.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't admin be moving this thread to the Moving back or to the UK forum ?
Old Apr 16th 2020, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Habitual Residency Test will prevent you getting benefits. I would advise you to stay where you are and work something out there.
If you come back to UK and there is no income and no housing, what will you do ?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...-for-benefits/

Last edited by scot47; Apr 16th 2020 at 6:24 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2020, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You've been away from the UK for too long
you pretty much only have the right to return.
I think you will even have to pay for any NHS treatment for a while.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should have added a personal note. I have recent personal experience of The Habitual Residency Test. My adult daughter was away from the UK for 18 months. On her return she applied for benefits and was refused under this rule.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
You've been away from the UK for too long
you pretty much only have the right to return.
I think you will even have to pay for any NHS treatment for a while.
That's one thing the OP doesn't have to worry about Col, she'll have full access to NHS services the minute she returns to the UK to live.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Shouldn't admin be moving this thread to the Moving back or to the UK forum ?
Best way to get a mod attention is to report the request.
Old Apr 17th 2020, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies. I remember someone telling me a while ago I wouldn't be entitled to any benefits for 3 months? Fair enough. Would I be able to at least claim child benefit for my daughter?
Goodness if I knew then what I mess I'd be in now, I sure as hell would not if gone to NZ.
Old Apr 18th 2020, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

escapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond reputeescapingtheodore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharon,

So sorry to hear of your situation but glad to hear you and your ex are on reasonable terms.

As has been suggested, consider registering with the British Embassy in case any more mercy flights are scheduled - at least ring and ask, otherwise you will need to check when you can next depart on a regular flight.

Upon your return to the UK, you and your daughter will be entitled to register with a GP immediately, and access NHS services as if you hadn’t left. Do ask your NZ GP to forward notes to you by email so the UK GP can see any health activity whilst you’ve been away. Be aware there are currently strict protocols with visiting health centres/clinics at the moment. Ring first, they will probably mail out registration forms and ask you to return them by mail.

You have to register your Transfer of Residence declaration with HMRC especially if shipping belongings, otherwise you will incur UK import duties. They will ask for a UK address so ask your family if you can use theirs even if you’re staying in temp accommodation until you get sorted. Make sure you explain this to HMRC.

You, nor your daughter, are entitled to any UK benefits for the first 3 months following re-entry. Contact Citizens Advice in the UK if this will mean you will struggle financially but be prepared for no assistance. I do believe your daughter may be able to access things like free school lunches immediately though, if you are on a low income, bearing in mind only children of key workers are able to attend school at the moment anyway.

Hopefully you kept your UK bank account/s open? It will help if you did.

A big one, often underestimated. Your ex intends to return to the UK also? You must get legal advice around your situation. Contact your local NZ Community Law office for advice. You and your daughter are vulnerable if anything happens that causes your ex to change his mind, in which case you are not allowed to take your daughter without express written permission from him. Any agreement should be made legally binding through a lawyer and rubberstamped by the local Family Court. Blips happen and you and your daughter could get stuck in NZ until she is at least 16. This catches people out unawares more than you would realise. The Hague Convention for the prevention of abduction of children is a powerful international law which you must protect you and your daughter against. Even the nicest ex can turn, trust me. I know of a lady whose ex stayed behind in NZ whilst she took the child back to the UK. He gave her permission via email, it did not stand up in court. She was ‘Hagued’ back ten months later and is now stuck in NZ again. Cover yourselves.

Wishing you all the best for a safe return with as little stress as possible.

Last edited by escapingtheodore; Apr 18th 2020 at 4:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.